Netflix Fast and Furious: Spy Racers Promotion

Yes. You cannot monetize off the cars, full stop.

1 Like

I’m rather skeptical of that vague response since wouldn’t that imply we’re not allowed to use any of the cars in advertisements either?

I’d prefer if an official representative of Roblox addresses these questions rather than another player.

No, we don’t have the rights to using the logos of stuff, and thus it’s unlikely you’d be using the cars in advertisements. However, specifically, the quote that Elliott is referring to is to say you can’t put the cars behind any form of pay wall. They should be free to use as soon as you enter the game. (Think about it, players want to play with them as apart of the “event.” Consider if in the Pizza Party event you had to earn the pizza launcher or purchase it with Robux. That would’ve been a flop.)

However, the specific quote that your original question posed, is taken care of here:

Any money you make from this brand integration is just your normal monetization practices outside of the Fast & Furious items. Also, to answer you question about it needing to be a racing game, I would assume not. Any game where vehicles are involved should be fine.

2 Likes

Rocket League promoted the Fast and Furious cars and players are able to buy these cars using real life currency - not to mention that these cars are very customizable depending on the player’s preference. I’m not sure what kind of contract Roblox signed with them compared to Psyonix’s contract, but this is definitely a huge step down from what other companies have been doing. Also, the Fast and Furious car models that are in Rocket League are high quality (unlike what’s been given to Roblox which is a whole other issue).

11 Likes

Why would you want any other sponsored stuff? ROBLOX are trying to use us as advertising billboards.

1 Like

What happens if you don’t follow the rules though?

While there are a lot of issues with Roblox’s promotion here, I’m not sure a comparison with Rocket League would be the fairest. For the matter of people spending money on the cars, it’s a lot easier to manage the sales of one company compared to an entire game platform.

As for the quality, while I do agree the cars could’ve been made in a few quality levels so that they could be accustomed to the limits of our games, Roblox’s limitations makes it harder to offer high-quality models/textures. The platform aims for compatability and performance across a wide variety of devices, and most of the in-game assets are streamed off the servers each time you play rather than saved to a hard drive and loaded up whenever the server says that a car uses a certain set of assets.

Sponsorships were a lot different 2 years ago. Back then, you were given a fixed amount for the work ($7,500 in my case for Ultimate Boxing for Solo: A Star Wars Story, or 250 hours if you accept $30 per hour of work) and had sponsored and non-sponsored items. Roblox has tried to move away because events are a logistics nightmare. Communication for the egg hunt was painful, and limited when it did happen. Doing this method makes it a lot cheaper while still helping monetization, but you risk getting nothing for a poorly monitized game or just not making the cut and thus getting no attention. This implementation does seem oddly restrictive compared to the previous events where we didn’t have monetization or customization limits. My guess is to not have to run it by the sponsor for approval.

If this is before being added to the sort, probably nothing. Before that point, you haven’t “signed” any type of agreement to follow a set of rules. After getting on the sort, you are agreeing to the rules and Roblox is able to act, and typically a right they give themselves is to terminate the agreement at any time (remove you from the selected games). Violating the rules would give them a reason to do this.

4 Likes

That’s honestly true tbh, they did the same thing in Egg Hunt 2019.

And i’m noticing stuff like this more often honestly…

1 Like

They could have provided a low-poly version of the car models that still have quality (similar to what the game Jailbreak does for their vehicles).

2 Likes

I am 100% entering this contest for a chance to be featured on the Roblox’s event page! As well as a custom video opportunity as well as social media posts!

However, I do have a question regarding what is and is not allowed in the game. So far, logos are not allowed to be in our games.

However, are we allowed to use trademarked cars that were featured and iconic to the Fast and Furious franchise?

Thank you ahead of time for any plateful feedback :smile:

1 Like

I understand that you can still add them in a game for free, but how about already existing micro-transactions for other in-game assets, would you still be allowed to add them but you just can’t sell them specifically? Also with this I’m aware that this can’t work out with Gamepasses, but how about the in-game currency? What if the in-game currency can be bought with Robux, or say that if it can’t, like instead it’s earned via an alternate method such as completing in-game tasks, challenges, missions, or objectives, then how would that work out? I’m asking this because I know several developers would be interested in selling these with the previously aforementioned in-game currency feature in the shop or market section of their games. Overall I’d appreciate it if we were given more context behind this rule, as so far the response that has been given was incredibly vague and just provided the community an overall idea behind this concept, and not specific key details within so…

If your going to make us advertise on behalf of you then do something for us. Don’t just put us in some draw that probably only some of the biggest games will win.

1 Like

Are we allowed to make a game specifically for the event?

1 Like

That’s what I’m doing. I thought that was the entire point.

1 Like

I personally thought it was for already existing games, however now I am curious if it could also be for new custom ones specifically meant for this promotion…

There isn’t much to do though for the sponsorship, as you can’t provide anything else besides the vehicles relating to it, however everything else that you plan on doing has to be original and non-copyrighted material.

2 Likes

Ship it.

For real though, lowpoly models with no headlights (we can’t modify the textures) isn’t the best combination for a high poly / realistic racing game with a nightime theme… I might participate if the cars weren’t so dang out of place. What a shame considering Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift cars would fit into my game, Midnight Racing: Tokyo, so well.

Questions though:

• Are we allowed to add non-direct visual enhancements? (bricks on the outside of the car, exhaust backfire as seen in the image below, headlights, etc.) especially if these are required by the chassis in order to function properly?
  • Are we allowed to use the promotional photo at the top of this forum post in our games to help clarify the product that F&F is providing (even though they use copyrighted logos)?
  • Are we allowed to use screenshots images of the cars in our game for the functionality of a car dealership or somewhere else where a 2D representation is necessary?
  • Is rescaling the car evenly in all dimensions considered a visual change?

Hopefully we can get these answered so I can think about this a little more accurately. Thanks!
(By the way, if it’s in the contract, try to get better car models… I think the current models clash with a lot of games…). The real car models look something like this:

btw, nice low-effort texturing lol

(Although I must admit, the scripts for the cars are fun to play around with haha, great work on the scripting.)

9 Likes

The quality of the car models and texturing is frankly embarrassing to any detailed game that might use them (and to Roblox…)

9 Likes

Can we change the engine sound of the cars by any chance?

2 Likes

Question, can races or only be used for special missions such as: Grab 3 gas stations?