New Animation Editor Announcement

Awesome update, looks a lot more enigmatic compared to the previous one. I just have one request, welds created by the server and put inside a player will replicate movements to other players. I find it a lot easier to do some animations via CFrames but they do not replicate. :frowning:

Are there any plans to release inverse kinematics for the editor in the near future?

2 Likes

Itā€™s getting more advanced :open_mouth:

Ahah. I shouldā€™ve scrolled through a bit more. Thanks lol.

How the hell do we copy entire frames like how we did on the old animation editor

1 Like

It is recommended to read through the thread before replying to see if your question was already answered.

See:

1 Like

Hi! How do you add names to Keyframes now? Or, does this mean .KeyframeReached is now deprecated?

Is there a way to temporarily revert back to the older animation editor?

Put this in the Plugins Folder: (thereā€™s a button to take you there under the Plugins tab in studio)
LegacyAnimationEditor.rbxm (91.7 KB)

Alternatively you can install it here, just published the above as plugin:

Note that the icons for the new and old editor are the same, so make sure to hit the one with the ā€œLegacy Animationsā€ label underneath them (I edited this from the original version of the old plugin).

10 Likes

Did the copy button go somewhere? I lost it. Can anyone help me find it?

2 Likes

Thank you so much youā€™re a legend!

As much as I like this new animation plugin, thereā€™s much less functionality than there was in the old one.

My animator has named some:

-Keyframes canā€™t be named anymore

-Cannot move keyframes anymore

-When you change the length of an animation, your frames are cut out of it (example: if you change a 2 sec. long animation into a 0.5 sec. one, you lose all your frames after the 0.5 mark)

-You canā€™t copy-paste keyframes anymore

-Keyframes are created on individual parts, which made it impossible to name them like in the past (not necessarily a bad thing, but it removed an important feature)

-The camera cannot be tampered with while editing the timeline because itā€™s in a different window, so you have to switch windows every time you want to see a different angle, which is very unintuitive

-If you spaced your keyframes wrongly and you want to change them, you canā€™t do so by copy-pasting the entire grouping anymore. Instead, you have to paste them part by part, or manually select every part in another point in the timeline. This turns into a lot of time spent on tedious trial and error placement.

-The ā€œUndoā€ button seems to also keeps track of the activity of your timeline cursor (where you scrolled, essentially), and that creates a lot of unnecessary undoing to get to the point in time where you made a mistake

-The animation UI is stored in a different window which can cause stuttering from repeated use and/or flickering of the windows, which can get very annoying very quickly

A temporary solution can be another button that opens the old plugin instead. For now, buildthomasā€™s link can work.

10 Likes

I really donā€™t like this new animator suite. I donā€™t have anything good to say about it, really. Thereā€™s just too many things missing in this version that was viable and used in previous versions. For instanceā€¦

• Some options are missing and the context help doesnā€™t say where specifically
  • Can no longer change the rate the animation plays as a whole
  • The UI is too small and can take over the screen
  • You canā€™t move keyframes with the mouse
  • The different buttons are really janky; sometimes they work, sometimes they donā€™t, and sometimes theyā€™re not even there
  • certain UI pop-ups are from previous versions; itā€™s inconsistent throughout
  • The snap increment can get off track (Ex: mine = .025, went to .299 or .345 every other time)
  • The context menu help itself says basically nothing of use; probably because itā€™s not finished

These are my gripes. If anyone else is having these issues, Iā€™d say wait on the update. Use a previous version of the animation editor when you have the chance.

4 Likes

This will be added into the right click menu tomorrow

Thanks for uploading this, the new editor was going to make me lose my mind.

1 Like

This bug will be fixed in next Tuesdayā€™s Roblox Studio release

1 Like

We are working on all the issues mentioned in this thread. All the major problems should be fixed in the next couple of Roblox Studio releases

3 Likes

Just backup what Kevin said. I make a lot of animation loops like walking and running, and it becomes a much longer, more tedious process if I canā€™t select multiple keyframes at once to copy and paste. Currently trying to make a walking animation and itā€™s very slow. Everything else seems to look great though!

2 Likes

Multiple keyframe select will be coming very soon

1 Like

How is fixing the other issues coming along?