New Brightness Property for 3D GUIs

Yay! This will be very helpful, especially with horror games.

1 Like

I’m really liking this update!

Though I’m a bit worried about this because people can abuse this in their games, having it very bright.

1 Like

What’s wrong with a white screen? It’s the responsibility of the player to ensure their screen brightness doesn’t hurt their eyes.

1 Like

Although there is nothing wrong with a white screen, but again, people can abuse this feature for the trolls and some people are not used to looking at a white screen, since they probably use dark mode.

That’s not any different than just putting a white rectangle over the screen in a normal ScreenGui. Why is Brightness at fault here? Should developers be limited from putting bright colors on the screen because it might hurt someone’s eyes?

2 Likes

Please elaborate on what you mean.

2 Likes

If you type in a color value like 300,300,300 into a part’s Color property, it will get wrapped around to 45,45,45

This doesn’t really explain the need for HDR on parts. I’m having a hard time understanding what you mean and I don’t want to act on assumptions that are unchecked.

1 Like

The need for HDR on parts is similar to the need for HDR on GUIs or lights - it’s for more immersive environments. There are also materials like diamond plate where 255,255,255 is not really “white” and being able to turn it up even higher would be awesome

1 Like

But that’s different. It’s a simple, white screen with no effects, it doesn’t hurt the eyes too much.

Here’s an example.
The disco-ball looks really bright around the sides.

Now take a white screen, and implement it on the Screen gui.
And you know those neon-bricks? That’s what I think it would look like except a lot more brighter.

Players can literally make a box that’s impossible to see, due to the brightness.

And no, Developers shouldn’t be limited from using bright colors, but this can be a serious problem if a person have some sort of symptoms.

This is already a problem from neon bricks.

1 Like

I thiink you’re talking about bloom. This is a bit of a touchy subject, trying to prevent developers from mis-using effects in such a way that it could hurt someone’s eyes. Right now there are no limitations on that and I think that’s cool. Do you have any proposed solutions?

1 Like

Oh okay. I understand now thank you. Yeah I see where you’re coming from but I think it would be too difficult to make a way to use HDR on textures since the base color is baked into the texture itself, and trying to forcibly change the color beyond it’s ideal values could cause visible color banding.

In SDR yes, but Roblox now uses an HDR pipeline so it can easily handle colors outside of their “ideal values”. Colors too bright to display on-screen display a glow around them, you may be familiar with bloom.

1 Like

Only workaround I can think of if you want “true” colours would be to use Compatibility, which disables HDR.

Yes, here’s one of my solutions to this problem.

• Having just a small limitation where it will not be too bright, but also have some of the brightness.

Also, what do you mean by “bloom”?

Since I’m a builder, I haven’t really heard of bloom before.

Bloom, from the lighting properties I’m pretty sure.

1 Like

Bloom is a post processing effect that takes a certain object or area of a screen that is brighter than a certain threshold, and brightens it even more
robloxapp-20210612-1418184.wmv (2.2 MB)
Here I’m changing various properties of Bloom to increase and decrease the Specular intensity.

1 Like

I’m talking about screen/billboard-guis.

The properties has to be in lighting, which it isn’t compatible with screen/billboard-guis.
It only changes the sun’s brightness and reflection the last time when I used it.

Or just use a BloomEffect that disables bloom

It affects those as well since it’s a post processing effect.
ezgif.com-gif-maker

5 Likes