New Bubble Chat and TextChatService Customization APIs

Very nice, This update makes it fit in the game’s theme!

4 Likes

I love this, I’ve always enjoyed the idea of bubble chat customization! Now that it’s finally here, we can edit it to our hearts content!

I’ll get around to playing around with it soon! :smiley:

3 Likes

Is anyone else experiencing an issue with the microphone icon following this update?
image_2023-07-31_222514114

The microphone icon isn’t matching the configuration of the chat anymore. This is a picture from a day ago and it was working fine.

10 Likes

This is a result of a separate update

5 Likes

Is there any way to change this or is it an issue with the engine?

4 Likes

It looks like the engineers will have to make some changes to support the new voice and camera controls

8 Likes

This is a great update for TextChatService; I know that’s nothing new to say but it is.

This part of the update by itself could be useful to me. If it made it far enough into development, I would probably like for players to change their roleplay name’s color, which in turn would affect their chat bubble (exactly like Royale High). Before this update, that would’ve been impossible.

I tried messing around, adding random images that I previously uploaded for my experience; Neither of my random choices was readable, but I think the second image shows one of the uses of image backgrounds: The edges of chat bubbles could fade out, giving it a “airy” vibe.

This is awesome! I don’t like how developers can’t at least get read-only access to instances in CoreGui, so it was impossible to check if the player was typing in the chat box before (and I had to hackishly intercept the “lacking permission” error,

Now I don’t have to deal with that (though my hackish function was repurposed as a “safe” replacement for the error-prone GetFocusedTextBox() function), as I’ve already updated my typing indicator script to use this property.

Ooh! This could be useful if I needed to use the “slash” key for something else and didn’t want chat to intercept it. I know this isn’t a feature request topic, but it would be nice if all other hardcoded key/button presses could be disabled or re-binded by developers like this.

Examples of remaining hardcoded functions
  • Left trigger (gamepad) - Put away tool (backspace doesn’t do this anymore but for some reason, they forgot to update gamepads with the same nice update. This is the worst in VR, since the left and right controllers shouldn’t have distinctly different functionality.
  • I & O (keyboard) - Zooms the camera in/out. These feel like legacy leftovers from classic Roblox that shouldn’t be around anymore, or at least should be editable.
  • ** (keyboard) - Activates gamepad cursor. Nothing else to say here.
  • (I would include the arrow keys here, but then I may as well include WASD and spacebar too…)
4 Likes

I would have to disagree. They are extremely useful if a UI opens while you are in first person, and you cant scroll to zoom out.

Although it is extremely weird that we cant rebind ANY of the keys.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for the reply, but the point is that TextSource is not achievable without that someone first sending a message; or at least, not any current way described by any of the API references.

The request to mute people server-sided is coming from the position of being a game moderator wanting to mute people and keep them muted post-mortem, something which isn’t achievable without them sending a message when they join thanks to the lack of API documentation.

4 Likes

TextSources are created for new players on join for default text channels.

3 Likes

Thanks for your patience! MaxBubbles should be enabled now.

6 Likes

Thanks for letting me know. :smile:

The property works as expected until it’s set to 6 or higher. If it’s above 6 then it’ll transition as expected but the sixth bubble renders as blank, and if set higher than 6 it’ll behave as if it’s still set to 6.

A value of 5 or below works perfectly fine though.

4 Likes

Hm likely a result of the bubbles extending outside of the BillboardGui’s canvas. @daweezy99, it could be something to look into increasing the height of BillboardGui.Size with larger Max bubbles sizes (or we could clamp this value to something reasonable)

Out of curiosity @shadowflame63, is there a legitimate reason to have a toooon of Max bubbles or is this mostly for science?

6 Likes

This is a great update, and I think someone has already said this but adding rich text support would be perfect. Maybe adding a max font size so people don’t spam the chat with huge lettering but it is still a great idea

4 Likes

Mostly for science, I was just messing around with the property and ran into that issue.

4 Likes

I noticed another bug with BubbleChatMessageProperties. The bubble text won’t update to the new background color when zooming out or during message fading.

4 Likes

What update would that be? and is it fixable

4 Likes

Since this feature has not been implemented, I have been hesitant to use it on a large scale in my projects.:smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

The update is the new camera update that allows control of facial movement. The UI is bad because grey.

4 Likes

Please add an option to change the anchorpoint of bubbles to allow for bubbles to come off to the side

8 Likes