New Content Property on TextObjects

Roblox automatically adds camelCase versions of all APIs, as far as I know. You may want to check that your solution actually works.

1 Like

Unprofessional company since this type of situation occurs way too frequently where a breaking change is made with not enough beforehand mention. There needs to be adjustments in management if there’s ever going to be change.

4 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. We posted about this as we are concerned about whether there are functional breakage of games caused by this release. With respect of community opinions, we will revert this change in the next release and find a better property name with announcement in advance. Thanks.

81 Likes

Y’all really getting mad over updates. Like be happy were getting more updates for UI.

Your really getting mad over a update you can easily fix yourself in less than a 2 minute period.
No need to get pressed over this now.

4 Likes

The point is, it’s unnecessary breaking with no warning.

21 Likes

It’s not fun having to go and change things for any number of scripts several times over each time related update gets released.

That’s not why people are angry. Updates to the platform are important, but forewarning regarding updates to developers to ensure games don’t break as a result of them is equally if not more important. Adequate forewarning is all we ask for.

While this may be applicable to you and your circumstances, on larger scaled projects or for other scripters this may be far from true. What you’re describing is a best case scenario, which, given the extremely general nature of the name “Content” as it applies to this situation, is anything but best case.

10 Likes

Developers aren’t going to “be happy” over an out of the blue, unannounced update that’ll cause problems for their games just because it’s a new update for UI.

Your really getting mad over a update you can easily fix yourself in less than a 2 minute period.
No need to get pressed over this now.

Also, bigger games with more advanced UI will take far longer than 2 minutes to change if they used “Content” for a lot of their assets. Just because it’ll be quick for you, that doesn’t mean it won’t be inconvenient and time consuming for others.

4 Likes

Why not just name the property TextContent?

7 Likes

This post is dismissive of the reason why developers are upset with the naming property, please read posts before making comments like this. Roblox could easily avoid this breaking change by using better, more descriptive names instead of generic names that are widely used by developers for UI children.

It’s good that our feedback has been considered and a better property name will be used for the update, but it’s not enough for this to happen one time. Critical auditing of property naming choice as well as community input needs to be taken before implementing changes.

We have a legitimate reason to get upset about the property’s name change. Don’t be dismissive.

11 Likes

Why did you ping everyone? Just out of curiosity.

3 Likes

Does Instance[“Child”] function the same as Instance.Child?

It doesn’t really make sense for me to never use indexing especially since sometimes I need to go down a long heirarchy to find a certain part and it would be very performance taxing or at least annoying to do :FindFirstChild() over and over.

I’m glad Roblox is reverting this update though since it’s the 3rd time they’ve done something like this with absolutely no warning and content is such a generic term that it’s easy for someone who doesn’t know better to not understand this.

2 Likes

Small question, what would be the difference between Content and Text?

Content is the actual displayed text, stripped of any RichText XML and possibly also localized?

8 Likes

The word “content” is too vague I feel like. I feel like that content could refer to multiple things at once, leading to confusion?

3 Likes

Why not just use “CleanContent” or similar (like literally every other real-world API that has a similar property)?

Once again pulling the trigger on updates without considering their implications, usefulness, or necessity.

Edit: punctuation

I literally use UI components named “Content” all the time lol. Now I’ll have to go and fix some things. I appreciate the update, but I would prefer a warning in advance next time so that I can make sure nothing in my game breaks.

I’d highly appreciate a more in-depth example and explanation of what this property does. A lot of developers including me are very confused on what this new vague property even does.

1 Like

In my opinion, I think some new syntax should be added to differentiate between indexing properties and children in Instances. While this technically can already be established with using :WaitForChild() and :FindFirstChild(), that is really inconvenient and I don’t want to end up with very long chains of these code blocks.

Couldn’t really tell you what else to use other than the . operator, but it’s something worth looking into. This way, there is no worry about running into these sort of issues in the future.

Pardon my unawareness, but what exactly does this line do? As a matter of fact, I don’t think I’ve ever used a game service called “Selection” before.

Its a plugin / command bar only service, where it manages the instances you are selecting in the studio. For example, Selection:Add() will additionally select all the objects within the array, just like shift / ctrl + clicking on them within explorer / object in world. (Set method will clear the previous selection i believe? so in recursive selection like this Add is more appropriate to use.) Selection | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

4 Likes