New Content Property on TextObjects

What does this .Content property even do, and also “We apologize for not giving advanced noticed” isn’t a valid explanation, like couldn’t the feature of been held back before you released and broke loads of code from the people who use “Content” as a child of a text instance?

1 Like

Developer here, it is indeed suddenly impossible for my players to change their names in my roleplay game, effectively breaking a crucial function. Thank you for at least deciding to revert it, and next time, PLEASE give a big heads-up to developers before adding properties.

I’m fine with having a Content property, really, but 1) with a heads-up ahead of time so I can prepare my game, and 2) there are a lot of games that are heavily played but not actively developed anymore, which could suffer a lot from such changes.

I wish there was a more implicit way to distinguish property names from children names in code, it’s not the first time that the fact that they both use . causes issues.

What is wrong with the name TextContent? It gives more context as to what the property does and it is less vague.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be useful to just leave Text as Text and rename the “Content” property to “DisplayedText”? Would that be clear/understandable?
Just an idea on a better name.

1 Like

Can somebody please explain to me why we even need this property? All it is is parsed and filtered duplicate information that could just as easily be retrieved using:

"<b> Example String </b>":gsub("%b<>","") -- Returns: " Example String "
-- If you were using this for a TextLabel you would do something like this
local PlainText = TextLabel.Text:gsub("%b<>","")

It is a very simple solution that is hardly any code to write at all. They could just post the code on the markup tags information page as a method to remove markup tags from a string. I don’t see any reason to add a new property to do such a simple job that doesn’t require much computing power. It’s also an easy line of code to remember. If new developers didn’t understand how it worked and wanted to, then wouldn’t it be a good learning opportunity as well?

1 Like

Hey developers,

Thank you for all of the feedback you’ve shared here. We always want to give you a heads up when there’s a change coming that will impact your work, especially when it comes to your game’s performance and your player’s experience.

We’ve discussed this internally and are working to implement more checks and automated systems to flag changes like this in the future.

20 Likes

No, you don’t have to fix anything, as they previously stated they are going to find another name for the property.

Upcoming Release Notes for v466.
Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 2.18.03 PM

For the extended-release notes, they’re on @Maximum_ADHD 's lastest tweet.

1 Like

There was a clear heads up, its just you.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.