New Default Code Font in Studio - Fira Mono

Hi Developers,

Starting today, you will see a new font in Studio - say hello to Fira Mono! Fira Mono will be used as the default font for all code-related feature areas, starting with the Script Editor and Output Window.

A couple important points on this release:

• If you have set a custom default font, your choice will be preserved (i.e. nothing will change)
  • The Script Editor and Output fonts can still be independently configured from Studio Settings

Benefits

Fira Mono brings overall better readability and improved differentiation between similar characters, allowing you to more quickly scan and understand your codebase. Some specific examples:

• It has a heavier weight and is sans serif - makes text more readable and removes visual noise

• Periods, commas, colons, and semi-colons are more visually distinct

• Brackets, braces, and parentheses are more visually distinct

Side-by-side text shows difference between brackets braces and parentheses

• The number 1 and capital I are more visually distinct, as are the number 0 and capital O

We hope you enjoy using Fira Mono.

Many thanks to @swmaniac, @iriszh, @windy0724 and @darkmodeonn for this big visual upgrade!

402 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 11 minutes.

There’s nothing much that I can say that’s bad about this,
this is over-all just a great change.

I will say, this looks pretty similar to JetBrain’s font, I like that.
I’m not sure if I actually heavily used the Code Editor inside Studio if I would keep it or not.
The old one looks “right” for Lua in a way which I can’t describe.

This is a great change though, nothing I can actively complain about.

Fire Mono:

JetBrain’s one:

My code personally does look a little bit… crowded, compared to the original one.

Comparasion

New:

Old:

I overall think this is all dependant on adaption though, nothing here feels that wrong.

25 Likes

Not a necessary change but you guys chose to spend your time on adding a new font for better readability, this will be immensely beneficial for those with eye problems. Thanks guys!

42 Likes

Ashamed to admit the visual indifference between periods and commas has got me on a few occasions :sweat_smile:

Thanks for continuing to improve readability! Will be a big help for sure

42 Likes

I can finally distinguish the 1 and the l!

However, please also implement this into the DevForum backtick code block format. Thanks.

37 Likes

This is a nice font. I use my own one already, but I like this one

4 Likes

Now we just need the Fira Code font for all those beautiful ligatures.

27 Likes

i barely see any difference, but it looks easier to read, there’s probably gonna be someone who will complain about it because the letters are a bit too bold but i dont really care, i would love to work with this font, even though differences are very minor.

6 Likes

I personally preferred Courier New as it was more calming to look at. I can see people prefer this new font however.

In the end I’m glad we’re still able to customise it to our own likings! :slight_smile:

41 Likes

This is a big improvement as the one and “I” get mixed up sometimes causing errors, but now we don’t have to worry!

4 Likes

In my opinion I think this will be better compared to Courier New. Personal preference of course, but I think some of the font lettering like 0’s and O’s are generally better, including the punctuation font styling.

Very Interesting update!

4 Likes

Imo the Output tab look pretty ugly now. What was the old font settings for output?

9 Likes

It was ms shell dlg 2 zzzzzzzzzzzzz

3 Likes

Not sure if it’s my settings or what but Fira Mono has a huge amount of spacing and I don’t use Courier New either, I prefer Trebuchet MS at 12pt in the editor personally, but for those who like Fira Mono, it’s good.

Edit from September 2022: I use Cascadia Code at 10pt now as I’ve found it much easier to read personally.

4 Likes

I personally prefer Courier. Its much more calmer and not all up in your face
But as long as its still customizable, idm

7 Likes

I don’t think so, it doesn’t look right.

4 Likes

I have no idea what your talking about it looks great

2 Likes

The fira mono font looks cool, definitely easier to read than courier new.

3 Likes

No, I’m saying it doesn’t look like the original.
MS Shell DLG 2 ^

6 Likes