New Default Code Font in Studio - Fira Mono

Just change the fonts in Settings then.

4 Likes

Man this font looks a lot better, this is a small, but good update.

Scripting is a lot cleaner now.

Thanks Roblox!

Honestly donā€™t know why but I reverted instantly back to the previous font. Personally I donā€™t like it but as long as itā€™s customizable I donā€™t mind.

3 Likes

Teaching Roblox summer camps just got a bit easier! We rely on projectors in the classroom, and donā€™t always have the luxury of a pull-down screen. Anything that keeps code legible across an uneven wall helps!

My Opinion

Look hear me out Fira Mono is bad!

Reason

I have just came back from a week vacation. Not looking at anything Roblox. I come back and took a little bit of a longer Dev break but then finally today I open up Roblox Studios. I go to my game and I see all the unfinished scripts and open one. And my eyes were confused. The test just messes with me. I cant tell one line form the other. It was a horrible experience.

Itā€™s Just a Font so it doesnā€™t matter. Right?

Well yes and no. You can easily change it if you hate it like I do. But what concerns me a bit is when a brilliant 10 year old coder hops on to Studios for the first time and sees this font. This might not be a good first impression.

Overall

Overall we need to maybe not make this one the default.

1 Like

Which JetBrains application allows you to code in Lua?

I like it. Stylish yet simple, easy to read.

None really, but you can find ā€œJetbrains Monoā€ on Google. Itā€™s free to use.

iā€™ll still be using Jetbrains Mono.
Good changes though

Iā€™ve noticed this change, noice. I donā€™t think anything is wrong with it!

This update is really cool in my opinion! Itā€™s a nice font and also smooth.
Keep up the good job!

1 Like

For me, it just makes the text harder to see compared to courier new. Probably just because I have a 1366 x 768 screen.

2 Likes

nice font itā€™s an update I wanted but never really talked about it I also think the clearer font will be clearer and easier to read for beginner coders

why does my fira mono look less thick and bold? for me it doesnt look like the examples shown here, it looks much skinnier than the previous font which makes it super hard to read

also why did i get it so much later than everyone else?

1 Like

this also works on windows 7 for me

you probably already figured it out, but courier new was the default font before

if you have trouble seeing small text, you can ctrl + scroll to increase the font size

Iā€™m near-sighted, and one problem I have with this font is that itā€™s hard to distinguish a plus (+) from a star (*)

Edit:

I hate to be a hater, but Fantasque Sans Mono is the superior font IMO. It was designed for programmers and has cool symbols for character-combos.

Fantasque Sans Mono:

Current (Fira Mono):

Itā€™s under SIL Open Font License if anyone wants to check it out:

The ligatures in that font youā€™re talking about are from fira code Ligatures and contextual alternatives Ā· Issue #64 Ā· belluzj/fantasque-sans Ā· GitHub

1 Like

Oh cool, I didnā€™t know they were called ā€œLigatures.ā€
I wonder why they opted for Fira Mono instead of Fira Codeā€¦

so sad

2 Likes