New Developer Console in Beta

Hey Developers,

We’ve just released a brand new developer console to help you monitor the performance of your game! You can try it out by chatting “/newconsole” on desktop. Thanks to @24RightAngles and @iriszh for making this happen!

We expect there to be a few bugs, but once we’re confident this feature is stable, we’ll move it out of beta and replace the previous developer console.

Here are some of its key features:

Cross Platform
This console was designed from the ground up to work on any screen size, whether it’s desktop or phone or tablet.

Searchable
Each tab allows you to filter to the specific information you want.

At a Glance Stats
You can easily show or hide the console by minimizing it to the bottom right corner. Crucial information, like memory usage and ping time, is always displayed along the title bar – you don’t have to constantly switch tabs.

Detailed Charts
Charts are now inspectable so you can see the exact value at any point

As always, let us know what you think in the replies below!

159 Likes

Nice! The first thing I noticed though was the title “Developer Console” is touching the left edge, which bothers me more than it should. And the Filter icon looks a bit strange (Maybe too big? Maybe needs less stroke?) Love the line graphing!

42 Likes

Looks nice so far, good work!

5 Likes

Glad we’re getting a brand new developer console!

The user interface does appear to be a bit strange right now with things like the large padding around the whole developer console, text touching the edges, etc. Other than that, really excited for things like a search feature and detailed charts!

16 Likes

This looks a lot better than the previous one.

Good job on this guys.

4 Likes

Love how it looks now. Lot cleaner display of information and very easy to use.

I have noticed that the ActionBindings tab is broken: it doesn’t remove data on bindings that are disconnected. You should be able to reproduce it by respawning. The on-spawn bindings get added to the bottom of the list but their old versions (which were disconnected) are not removed.

Other than that, I love it! Great job :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m excited!

1 Like

Looks great so far!!!

2 Likes

This is exciting! Here’s a couple ton of feedback points from a big fan :slight_smile: Thank you @24RightAngles and @iriszh for the excellent work.

Graphs

1. Graphs are fantastic. Can it be made possible to show more than one graph at once? If so, can we have an expand/contract-all button?

2. Interpolated values are cool and all, but unless the value was actually measured I don’t think it should be displayed. It should at least snap to measured values, as I can’t mouse over exactly the time I want with it constantly changing (speaking of - a pause button would be appreciated) Below is an example - I’ve moused over between two discrete values. I guarantee you that at 21:08:17 that 14.115 wasn’t measured, the design should not suggest as such.

Performance

1. I can’t seem to test this at the moment myself, but can you speak to how this new developer console will measure up performance-wise with the current one? Should we expect better performance? For example, if I’m opening the console to 300+ messages of different colors, will this one be faster or slower? I’m concerned the images for yellow warnings and blue info will slow things down - in the past many messages would cause a full 0.5s to 2s frame drop.

2. I’ve noticed that if a Script connected to RunService.Stepped (or similar) throws errors each frame that the new console freezes Roblox entirely. The old one slowed things down but didn’t cause similar freezes. Perhaps there should be a graceful way to protecting a debugger from such error spam.

Server command-line

1. Why is this not monospace yet? It’s code. Make it monospace, please! I can understand the argument to keep the logs the same font, but nobody in the right mind writes code in non-monospace fonts.

2. The server command-line has lost the up/down history functionality. Previously, it was possible to re-run commands already run by going up/down like in an actual terminal window.

3. When I select the server command-line, the field is cleared. This makes it not possible to copy and paste multiple bits of code into one line. This is especially annoying because of #1. (This is the same behavior from the original dev console, but I think it is due for a change.)

4. Shift-enter ough to permit multiple lines of code.

Logs

1. The logs are in a smaller font yet have more line spacing than the original developer console. This makes things more difficult to read while showing less :frowning: Correction: It seems the line-by-line spacing is the same for contiguous messages (i.e. ones with \n), but there’s more spacing between individual prints and the font is definitely smaller.

2. “Search” should be renamed to “Filter”, since that describes its functionality more accurately. Search implies my results may be ordered by relevance.

3. Commands input via the server command-line ought to appear in a different color to differentiate them from printed statements. Perhaps grey would do well.

4. Red error messages are hard to read since the color is different and the background isn’t as opaque. I also think red critical errors deserve an icon and the not-so-critical stack traces can do without an icon.

27 Likes

Anyway to access this without using the chat?

I don’t believe so as the developer console is still in beta and is being tested at the moment as it is unstable. Currently, it’s only accessible through the chat on desktop so that it doesn’t interfere with the current developer console.

Beware, having both the old and new developer consoles open will cause your server command-line to run twice.

4 Likes

Hoping this resolves the problem of output messages hurting performance.

I am unable to open this by running the chat. Is it public for anyone to test now?

1 Like

It won’t work in places with a custom chat or that override the chat scripts with an older version.

Would that include using custom chat tags like [DEV]?

Possibly, I don’t know since I don’t have the source in front of me. Try a place where you haven’t edited the chat at all.

Yep. Just tested it in a different place. Works now :slight_smile:

can we have the same server-script execution functionality we have in the current one, except make it so clicking on the box doesn’t clear it

6 Likes

Stats Graphs :star_struck: