New Developer Console in Beta

Unlike the current dev console, it’s not modal (you can’t move the mouse if the mouse is locked by the developer) and you can click through it (buttons behind the console can be pressed). Please fix!

6 Likes

This error is getting spammed in my client output. I tried to limit the output to the errors only on the server side, and this started.

It also quintupled my ping.

4 Likes

Looks great - it’s very productive.

1 Like

Has it been considered, at least on Mac and PC, to allow the new console to run in a window independent of the main Roblox viewport? I hate how I can’t monitor stats like memory without the dev console occupying a substantial amount of space in front of my gameplay.

5 Likes

you can resize the console by dragging the box at the bottom right corner. The topBar of the devconsole can be dragged to move the window

I assume he knows that, he’s asking if it can be run in a window independent from the Roblox game window itself so it doesn’t need to block any space.

Anyways, I like the new console but the UI is a mess imo. There are so many clashing UI themes and seems extremely messy overall, especially if you set it next to the current console.
It’s in beta, so I’m guessing it’ll be reworked in the future (i hope).

10 Likes

This looks amazing :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi guys! We will be disabling the Client and server logs in the new dev console as we wait for the performance improvements to be released. Thank you for your patience as we work through our beta issues.

13 Likes

this will be fixed >:D

6 Likes

Long live OCD related fixes!

On a more serious note, so far the console is a great improvement in terms of usability and utility. It could however benefit from some UI improvements. It’s clearly not as polished as the live version, although it’s a beta and as such I assume this component is still being worked on.

3 Likes

Also if you type /newconsole to bring up the new console, then click the X upper right. Typing /newconsole wont bring it up again until you type it one more time. Looks like clicking the X doesn’t reset the command toggle.

5 Likes

Is there any way to give print messages a separate color?

2 Likes

Though this would be a cool feature, I don’t think this will be added.

Oof.

1 Like

you can make them blue with TestService:Message

4 Likes

We have removed the limits to Client/Server logs in the new Developer Console. I advise avoiding the old console if your game is very print() heavy, but the new one will handle that case just fine. Just keep in mind that the new Developer Console will only keep the last 500 lines printed.

2 Likes

Couple of issues that are bothering me with the new console.

1. When I open the console for the first time and switch to the server tab, it’s completely empty and only displays the server log after I attempt a console command, or if I wait for something to be printed. However, if I switch between client and server logs, the problem happens again.
  1. There is no padding beneath text. :frowning:

1. Intuitively, I want to click and drag the console window around by the top bar, however there is a transparent border around the whole window that keeps fooling me - I cannot drag the window by clicking on the top of this transparent border. It would be a nice QoL thing if the draggable part of the window was extended upwards to include this border.
20 Likes

Thanks for reporting those 3 things; I noticed them too, today. Great pictures

Hope they get resolved soon

1 Like

Thanks for fixing this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One thing that’s been really tedious is that the console seems to lose any memory of command history (pressing up arrow to recall a previously run command) after you’ve closed it. When re-opening the console, attemting to recall a command will do nothing. I don’t think this was an issue in the old console.

8 Likes