New fonts system shipped

Update: Fonts are enabled again. Please test and report problems.

Font sizes are not 1:1 exact mapping and we know about it. It should be, however, an acceptable change

Hey

We have shipped new font system that allows us to render UTF8 characters and have more fonts than we had before. So far we did not ship new fonts but they are coming soon.

Enjoy all those new supported characters or in czech: “Užijte si všecky nový písmena” which is something you can write in xbox guis now :wink:

And please report any issues you might have with fonts.

42 Likes

Well I noticed about half an hour ago or so that ArialBold doesn’t display as ArialBold anymore. That would be an issue

Will be able to upload custom fonts eventually? I can see why this would be hard to moderate, but it would be very handy if you wanted to make custom fonts.

Yes that is the ultimate direction we want to go. Do not expect it anytime soon, but we will get there.

Arial bold seems to be working to me. If it is broken for you, please send me PM with .rbxl file that has reproduction (please make it simple, delete everything that is not related to repro) Thanks

I’m wondering if he’s referring to the ArialBold size difference.

E.g.

(Old ArialBold)

(New ArialBold)

Same tooltip system, nothing was changed.

I personally didn’t find this to be much of a problem though, since all it required was to change the FontSize to be 1 size less.

So we should be able to make things like this?
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ ʀᴀɪsᴇ ᴜʀ ᴅᴏɴɢᴇʀs ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽/

I tried, doesn’t work :frowning:

Also, this is cool ![blob.png](upload://osuAGhKpC7eSIua5EU4IkorRDPp.png)

Yes it was hard to fit old system with new system exactly. I hope this size differences will be quite rare

Normally I can hold alt to type special characters

¡™™£¢

But textboxes don’t seem to support that :frowning:

1 Like

Does this allow rendering of all UTF8 characters, or just a select few? I haven’t been able to get Japanese or Chinese to work, they just show up as boxes or boxes with Xs in them (depending on the selected font), but I did get the czech message to work. Also, is this change just for GUIs, or will it also be available for in game chat?

Kinda weird how all lines of text (regardless of font type) are now considered 1 pixel taller than what FontSize says. This suddenly messed up a lot of my TextWrapped GUIs which were made with the expectation that font size == line height. :frowning:
Not sure if this is an intentional change or a bug.

(Not that I can’t fix it myself, it’s just an unexpected change of behavior)

4 Likes

System supports all of the UTF8 characters including Chinese and Japanese and whatever you want … The fonts we use however doesnt support all of the characters. Currently we will support only all the European languages with cyrillic (Russian) as something that is nice to have in a font.

But wait you say? Yes we are getting there, this is ready to support any font and any character, once we will have custom fonts, you can support any language you want…

1 Like

If the 1 pixel size difference is consistent over all fonts than it is a fixable bug. If it appears more randomly, it is unfortunate but it will stay like it and UIs will have to re-adjusted… But:

Do not adjust your UIs yet

I will look into that once at work. If I fix it you will have to adjust it back again:)… Thanks for testing it.

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! Yeah, it is happening for all fonts and all font sizes.

Wont be 100% satisfied until I can paste ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) into the chat.
Great work so far though, can’t wait for custom fonts!

7 Likes

Bug:

Seems like setting the .Text property of gui objects through scripts won’t work. Source: https://scriptinghelpers.org/questions/28340/im-scripting-a-basic-translating-script-but-doesnt-work-please-help

Tried setting the Text of a TextLabel to “¿” through the command bar and it went blank. Tried doing convoluted things like string.char(string.byte(“¿”)) and it still wouldn’t work.

4 Likes

@Cindering That sounds promising:)… Will be probably able to fix that if you are right and it is consistent. Can you tell me which game are those screenshots from? I would run some tests on it

Here’s an example place showing the issue:

TextSizeExample.rbxl (11.2 KB)

There’s a TextLabel that’s 48px tall with TextWrapped = true, and it uses a Size24 font. Normally two lines of text would be displayed there, but due to the fonts actually being 1px taller than expected, the second line of text doesn’t fit in that TextLabel.

1 Like

Does it support ÆØÅ?

BillboardGuis with text that uses TextScaled will not display.

BillboardGui-Text-Bug.rbxl (12.1 KB)

3 Likes