New Game Sort: "Recommended For You"

coefficients can have a little list of games… as a treat… :pleading_face:

71 Likes

You’ve earned it, champ :relaxed:

53 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 15 minutes.

Yes thank you finally.

Pizza tycoon has been on my recommend for the last 5 years.

Finally it’ll actually show games that im interested in lol.

62 Likes

ooh nice

This basically fulfills all the feature requests on #platform-feedback:website-features regarding game sorts!

8 Likes

Did my feature request just get accepted? Roblox Should Add a "Discovery" Sort on the Games Page

Roblox you did a good thing! Now I just need to wait and let the money roll in… except, I didn’t make a game yet. Gotta start now before this system gets hacked.

17 Likes

This is real neat, and I’m all for game discovery upgrades, but why are my results basically identical to the Popular sort even when I don’t play any games like these? How does the algorithm work to result in stuff like this?

48 Likes

Really cool!!

Are any other parameters taken into account?
Things like location, localization, age, etc.

Example: Games played by older users are recommended to other older users

21 Likes

This is a great update to the Roblox website! It’s nice to see what we play and like with many games out there just to combine them with the genre and stuff, kind of neat it is now out.

A question that I have is the type of games that are cloned or rip-off of most popular games, since I saw this game that is a copy of Natural Diaster Survival, would those be taken care of in the future?

Anyway, thank you Roblox!

10 Likes

It doesn’t really seem that accurate

It could do some work, though I appreciate the effort to improve game-discovery.

13 Likes

Nice, but how does it work? Does it base recommendations off games others have played, games your friends have played, similar genres to game’s you’ve played, or similar developers?

Does it use personal information like where you live, your age, what language you speak, etc?

Does it use AI? It would be nice if it were more transparent. :thinking: We know that it will be personalized, but based on what?

Extra Info

Woot Woot!

Woah!!! This will be awesome for discovery! Thanks for adding this! I do have some questions, though, as this post did not explain a lot.

First of, I’d like to say that it’s really nice that players on Roblox can find games that they’ll like rather than what everyone else likes. I’ve had to play the same games over and over again because I haven’t been able to find any games good enough. That may change with this update.

It’s been long awaited. :smiley:

More Extra Info

Additionally, If you’re taking personal data, is that really allowed? COPPA restricts your ability to do so. Youtube used to collect PI of children and got in trouble.

How does the algorithm work?

There should be a statistic that tells you if your game has been recommended, and how many times it has been. That could be useful to developers.

Other things to add could even include:

• Something to keep track of games, rather than just “favorites,” like an organizational system.
  • A way to tell the algorithm you don’t like what you just saw. That could be useful. It could take in account likes and dislikes.
  • More ways to rate a game other than “I like” and “I dislike.” It could be based on gameplay, graphics, compatibility, etc.
  • Make sure a game doesn’t appear twice.
  • Specific sorts for recommended. Things like horror, obby, FPS, etc. That would be epic.

This way the recommended tab would be even more personalized.
Is this also related to the new recommended sort of the catalog in any way?

On another note,

At the moment, many are also complaining that they’re being recommended games they’ll never plan on playing.

How will you make sure there’s quality games in the selection? There’s been recommendations for others that have turned out to be low-quality games. For me, I’ve gotten recommendations that may fit my fancy, but many still do not.

Let’s look at mine:

Nice start, I don’t see any games that would be on the “popular” selection.

Bloxxer Island: Interesting. Not to sure what it is, though. :x:
Witching Hour: God I love plates of fate, good recommendation. :white_check_mark:
Don’t Touch: I love Sharkbyte studios. This one looks fun, I’ll check it out! :white_check_mark:
Notoriety: FPS is alright for me, but probably not going to check out. :x:
[DEVIOUS] Survive the Killer!: I don’t like horror games. :x:
Roblox’s Got Talent: If this is similar to the dancing game, and is an opinionated game, then no. :x:
EM’s Difficult Chart Obby: I don’t like obbies. :x:
THE DIFFICULTY CHART OBBY: I don’t like obbies. :x:

Airport Tycoon: I don’t like tycoons. :x:
Possessed 1.1.1 ALPHA: I don’t like horror games. :x:
Ace Attorney: Roelplay… but I haven’t played the game so probably not. :x:
Horrific Housing: PLATES OF FATE! Of course I’ll check out. :white_check_mark:
Gertude and Pukan [JAIBREAK]: I don’t like horror games. :x:
Obby Island: I don’t like obbies. :x:
Club DJ: No gameplay tho :frowning: :x:
Mega Easy Obby 500 Stages!: No. :x:

Ok, the reason why I got recommended so many horror games and obbies is because I do play them, even though I don’t like them. So you could say this is more accurate than it is.

Looks to be sort of accurate. Everyone else’s recommendations are different, and I’m not sure if theirs fir their taste, but some have, for me.

Even through all the criticism, though, I think it’s still a excellent update.

Great change regardless. :slight_smile:
I’ve edited this post to be easier to read.

11 Likes

Woah!?! A recommended tab?
That’s pretty cool man, whoever came up with this, I want to pat them on the back.
I hope this makes up for top rated being down.

14 Likes

I appreciate the change a lot, especially for some reason the algorithm seems to be favouring one of the games I worked on and we are now getting triple player counts which is cool :eyes:

However as I side effect of this change I have noticed ‘favourite games’ has moved to the bottom of the page, a change i’m not a fan of since I use this sort to track the player counts on my games without having to do a lot of menuing, I would prefer if favourites was third on the list, then at least its relatively close to the top

In terms of the accuracy of the sort its alright, but could be better, here is what I was recommended:

Tower battles, I most likely wouldn’t play but I play some tower defence simulator so I know wy I was recommended it
Death zone doesn’t look like the sort of game I would play
Quarantine seems interesting, I think that was a good recommendation.
The facility game, not interested at all. Don’t know why I was recommended it
Family paradise… lol, ye, not my cup of tea.
Notoriety, thats actually a really Nice suggestion, been recommended it by a lot of friends so glad the sort picked it up.

Would be nice to know a bit more about how the algorithm behind it works.

19 Likes

This is great news for developers that doesn’t have enough funds into spending on ads/sponsoring! Well done!!

Quick question: If the player plays a game that got recommended in that page, can games that technically advertises it on the site be on that category?

3 Likes

Amazing! Now it will be much easier to find great games :grin:!
Great update!
And easier for developers to get players to try their game with less advertising!

3 Likes

Thanks for this sort. However, it dosen’t seem too personalized to me. I don’t play simulators or role play games but this is pretty much what this list is made of.

Hopefully personalization could improve in the future or this problem is just me.

2 Likes

Finally, I won’t get bored very easily! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wished to find new, small games that can satisfy my needs while I endlessly scroll through the front page, all bored. You all know how searching a single word will bring up copy-cat games and absolute ripoffs, but the new system will finally be beneficial to both the players (that get to play new games that they like) and developers (whose relatively small games can get exposure).

OML, is this foreshadowing the end of our worries?! Will there be tags and a search-by-genre feature? Right now, the search system is quite faulty in which some games don’t show up when you search for their name. Also, I’d love it if there is a filter option for searching (like “date created” or “high rated”, etc.).

One last thing (I promise): is there going to be a stat for this? Like “number of times your game has been recommended” and “CTR in the recommended sort”. It’d be good to know how much our game’s genre is performing and how our individual games are doing among other games in its genre.

Overall, I’m so happy for this as this shows that Roblox is willing to take steps in order to improve game discovery and make the platform fun forever. Anyone who starts cannot stop playing! Muahaha—never mind.

Kind of giving me them YouTube vibes NGL.

8 Likes

This is a great step in the right direction in my opinion, as game discovery on roblox hasn’t always been the best.
Here are a few features that I think might improve this:

• Add an “I’m not interested” button on games, a bit like YouTube.
  • Playlists! This would make game discovery easier, because people can find playlists made by people who like the same games that they do, and find even more games that they would like.
  • Lower the Popular section. Placing the popular section at the top just makes these games popular, because they’re popular. Sounds a bit weird to me.
  • Filters that the user can set, for example a minimum like to dislike ratio, or filtering out a game genre(parents might not want children to play horror games!!! idk)

I am curious as to how it gathers the recommendations, because COPPA restricts you from collecting data from children. So would it be against the law to gather data on your users to recommend them games they like based on previous games they played? Correct me if I’m wrong on the previous points I have made.

10 Likes

All the games I want in one place!
Now I can play two of my favorite games at the same time!

In all seriousness, this sort could use some work. I like the idea, but the algorithm isn’t great. I don’t like horror games at all, and I have quite a few Piggy-themed or other various horror games in the sort. The tycoons and obbies are more what I expected, but I already have the tycoon and obbies sorts for that.

21 Likes

Whilst I appreciate the improving efforts towards Game Discovery, I’m a little unhappy that my Favourites sort has been booted to the bottom of the home page. Could the sorts be re-ordered again on the home page to move it higher up again?

3 Likes