New Humanoid Physics Controller - Beta

ok got it! Will explore this.

4 Likes

Will it always remain this way? I can see this feature breaking games that implemented an ‘AirController’ like-system when the feature did not exist (however I have not had a chance to test that hypothesis)

Will we ever see an expansion in the constraints that we can use as developers? I appreciate the addition of the magic new character controllers, even though they aren’t written in Lua like I’d hoped, but I’d really like to be able to implement things like mecanum wheels and hoverpads and so on without requiring lots of manual ApplyImpulses.

Love this update, will make our workflow much more easier to work with!

Incredible update. A new character controller is much appreciated after more or less having to use the default, less customizable one for years now. One thing I’ve always been dissatisfied with as a developer is how Roblox has no customization for ‘momentum’–I think they’ve said once it was to avoid Bhopping, but I think that should be less of a problem now. Being able to set characters to momentum and have to build up their speed over time in order to start running full speed, and to have strafing slow you down depending on the movement direction (much like some character controllers Unity games use) would be great.

EDIT: after messing around with this feature it’s definitely what I was hoping for and more! It’s great to see this added : D

Greate improvement, I look forward to playing with the new capabilities! I wanted to ask if this would have any effects on the Humanoid’s FloorRayCheck? The humanoids constant check for the FloorMaterial property has been a bottleneck for some time for some of my implementations where I would like to continue using roblox’s humanoid for clothes but wish to do the movement and replication myself. This is also a feature that has been requested in past see: Accomodations for Custom Character Replication: Humanoid.DisableFloorRayCheck

4 Likes

Will this apply to objects being moved via CFrame/Position?

9 Likes

YO WHO GAVE ROBLOX SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS A GIANT BOOST.
This is all straight up amazing, all features that we’ve been wanting for so so long.

Genuinely curious why there is so much higher quality content being released right now, was it some executive decision? Or a hold-up of updates, to release them all together?

3 Likes

Seeing this at RDC was so cool. Give me a sec, gotta create something hype with this.

1 Like

Most likely they just released everything at once because they talked about these features in RDC.

1 Like

THIS IS INCREDIBLE! As a player this is the best thing about this update, since in many experiences when jumping on top of a car or any object at high speed I was flying. Finally it won’t happen anymore :partying_face: :partying_face:

3 Likes

Not a bad update but unfortunately I’m not too excited about the implications of “Humanoid Componentization” since I think I know what that means. : ^ )

So now I can jump from a plane without falling back??? This is the best update so far this month.

Given that all of these updates are related to humanoid behavior, as well as the release of dynamic heads, Roblox probably had this in progress for a while. This seems to be a massive push for making humanoids become more customizable, realistic, and easier to work with, which I cannot wait to test out.

2 Likes

Amazing! but does this also mean the ability to stand on moving platforms? (a part being tweened for example) Either way, great update!

looks cool!
im looking forward to what this can bring to games, especially platformers and obbies.

I accidentally replied to someone, meant to just reply to the first post.
Looks really nice.
But I have on question: Is a more secure movement system planned? Like a system that still does movement on the client but also does it on the server and checks if the client is the same as the server.

1 Like

Are there any plans to allow developers to create their own custom controllers? (ex: a “hover” controller or some sort of a “flying” controller for a dragon NPC)

1 Like

This is GAME CHANGING. The new properties offered by these controllers will save me so much time scripting and overall will improve the game feel. Thank you so much engineers :happy4:

1 Like

Tried to test! Without a controller, you could ride on a platform that is moved by AlignPosition, after adding a controller, you stay in place and the platform leaves you