New Improvements to the Creator Marketplace

In that case, allow me to clarify.

You give your license over when test driving a vehicle because the dealership wants to know who has their property should it be stolen (and that you are in compliance with the law). Your driver’s license is not a bargaining chip in this scenario. This is wildly different than ROBLOX bargaining facial ID with things like upload limits which, if I’m being honest, have no correlation.

In this day and age where privacy is consistently under threat (especially over the internet), I’d hardly call it paranoia.

Fortunately, there are several routes of recourse in a scenario like this, few to none of which apply to the scenario at hand.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if this counts for updating models?

3 Likes

I like the changes and they definitely push for a more secure marketplace. The marketplace in its current state is just a mess which is filled to the brim with botted and backdoored assets.

However, like many others are saying, I believe that there should be other ways outside of verifying our ids just to be able to upload more. Not everyone has an id or feels comfortable providing it for something meant to be trivial like this.

I genuinely believe that having premium should also increase the limit to some degree. I understand that some botted accounts may have premium, although those aren’t super plentiful.

3 Likes

Just thought of something that could go with this update, the ability to archive stuff like models.

3 Likes

If ID verification seems to be a hassle, then I guess they could ask for phone number verification. Unfortunately that still means developers under 13 can’t increase their distribution limits, and a few bots could still slip through with phone number verification, possibly. The reason I suggested this is because YouTube requires phone number verification in order to upload videos longer than 15 minutes (for the same apparent reason: to ensure you’re a real person). ID verification on Roblox seems to be effective as far as I know in terms of diminishing bots, but it limits what non-verified developers can do. People under 13 might have a passport (I first used mine when I was 10), but unfortunately they still might not be legally able to use such verification features. It’s a shame Roblox’s subscriptions aren’t for developers anymore, despite the positive reception of some of those limits being removed, but now, the measures for increasing limits have been replaced by age verification which isn’t even accessible for all users.

TLDR: Phone number verification seems like an okay alternative, it might not be as effective as ID verification but who knows.

2 Likes

Does this apply to public group assets, too? If so, I have a few questions:

• Because assets uploaded to a group are owned by the group and not an individual creator, does this mean that the public publishing limit is tied to the group, even if multiple users contributed to the limit?
  • Because there is currently no way of verifying a group (as far as I’m aware), are groups limited to the 10 public models / meshes / decals & 2 plugins limit, even if the owner of the group is ID Verified?

• Will there be a Group Verification feature in the future that would allow for any ID Verification-related asset benefits to apply to the group (such as the public upload limit from today’s update and the ID Verified badge in the toolbox from the Creator Marketplace Trust & Safety Update)? I understand if this cannot be confirmed, though.

3 Likes

Phone numbers can easily be faked with SMS capabilities on a whole lot of websites. It isn’t great for the long run, but you can easily go to a search engine and find a number of resources just by searching “phone number generator sms” or something along those lines.

2 Likes

Again, a good update that requires id verification. roblox PLREASE STOP GET SOME HELP

3 Likes

You can quit without announcing it. The limit is on public assets, kind of inconvenient but the future for every platform is in ID verification so we know who you are.

2 Likes

This trend of locking features behind ID verification is extremely concerning - I should not need to expose my sensitive documents to unlock higher upload limits. Why not use any other known variable instead - Premium membership, DevEx usage, Devforum activity, account age, or any combination of these and more?

Sharing private info and documents with companies is a security hazard, regardless of how reputable the company is, or how many policies are put in place - even the most reputable of companies are susceptible to security breaches. The future of data privacy is simply not having to share sensitive information, and I’d very much like to see Roblox align with that future.

10 Likes

Malicious users can easily mass-produce email-verified and phone-verified accounts. While it’s inconvenient for some people, it is unfortunately the only method that cannot easily be worked around and for normal human users, you rarely need to go over this limit. I am a developer myself and I personally have not gone over it once. Even if some people do need to go over the limit, they probably should just verify as soon as possible, I doubt they have absolutely no way to get their ID even if it might take a while (which most people have the patience to wait for) and as for security/privacy concerns, Roblox is a relatively trustworthy company and most likely won’t do anything with your ID besides verify your account. There’s not too much of an issue in most cases and the benefits usually outweigh the downsides.

1 Like

ID verification isn’t reliable, for example, in Mexico you don’t have an ID until 18 and you need to pay 300 USD to get a valid passport + traveling costs as not every city does have a place to get a passport, this is why many developers are recurring to ask their parents for their ID instead of using their own identity.

3 Likes

Yes but as I said, getting an ID is hard for some people(like me), I don’t have any form of identification as I’m from Mexico and I won’t pay any amount of money to get a passport which I will use for a lego platform.

3 Likes

Yeah but, what about people who don’t have any document that can be used to verify unless we’re above 18 years old?

Yeah, passports can work but not everyone has passports, and do you really think our parents would give us our passport just for “Roblox id verification”?

Rpblox clearly does not realize the full issue of the problem with “id verification” or “age verification”.

4 Likes

Why isn’t DevEx a viable option for verification? The tax form we are required to turn in has a lot of information in terms of determining one’s identity… to be fair.

6 Likes

Adding pay walls to features is almost always a terrible idea. A lot of people don’t have the money for it and making people pay for features they should already have isn’t a very good practice. This is roughly the equivalent of making it so all Twitter users have to pay a monthly subscription to have full access to Twitter vs having them all verify IDs a single time to have full access to prevent bots. Both in this example are rather bad as ID verification works better the way it is in Roblox, but you should at least see why it’s worse to favor the more fortunate part of the community as opposed to asking everyone to spend 5 minutes to verify.

1 Like

Ah yes, every person in the world does have money to get a passport just for Roblox, an amazing platform, right? It isn’t like the cost of passport is the same as eating one month in some countries, stop talking from your privilege.

2 Likes

The limit isn’t even very low. As I mentioned, I personally have never run into the limit and it is only for uploading content publicly, so unless you are a major creator of content for other people to use (in which case, getting a passport would be worth it), you most likely won’t hit that limit either.

1 Like

The audio limit for non ID verified users is 10 audios per month, isn’t this a bit exagerated? And talking about important creators, unless you have ID verified and can upload 100 audios or 2000 audios, sometimes it’s pretty hard to get assets for the game. And what about of open-source creators? They can have major impact in the community without having any profit from it…

1 Like

I’m aware of that now. I thought that it would be a good idea to have another benefit for premium given that premium isn’t worth it these days, but I realized I was wrong.

Once again, scroll through the entire thread to learn the entire story. In the end I admitted I was wrong.

3 Likes