New Improvements to the Creator Marketplace

I actually mostly agree to this point.

One of the hard things would be figuring out the requirements of giving over more permissions to developers. Unless Roblox takes into account the duration that you’ve been in studio, or how much Robux you’ve made overall, it’d be hard to determine who’s a real developer vs not one.

There’s more than enough alt accounts that are over a year old, plus bots can play games for extended periods of time which can also spoof how many visits a person has gotten.

It’s kinda unfortunate, but that’s the downside to a free to play platform where you can create a new account at any time :l

4 Likes

It still would be nice to view what scripts inside of Models we’re exacting putting inside our game, otherwise chances are we’re injecting some random “Bonzi Buddy” virus in it without looking at the Model at all, and I don’t wanna have to open it up, wait for my laptop to load all its Children (Depending on the size of Model), then open up all the Scripts afterwards 1 by 1

3 Likes

You’re definitely right about 10 being pretty debilitating, and I made a comment on that before:

However, people should consider the win/loss aspect from Roblox’s perspective.

Loss: developers aren’t able to provide as much open-sourced content as they would like.

Win: less bots are able to upload malicious plugins and models, less people are complaining about having to sift through their code for some malicious require, and it also reduces the number of beginner devs/people being victims of viruses, especially when often these people are just messing around in studio and can’t discern between genuine and malicious code.

The thing is, moderation history and account creation date aren’t always something that can be relied upon. There are countless old, inactive accounts that have no moderation history but whose account information has been posted somewhere online. Anyone can pick these accounts up and use them to spread malicious content, especially with automation/botting being a possibility.

6 Likes

Yeah, of course. It’s definitely a reasonable choice to make on Roblox’s end. Now that a staff member has said that they’re looking into ways for non-verified users to expand their upload limits, it’s much more understandable.

I really am happy that they’re gonna be cleaning up the asset library, and now that it’s confirmed that they’re at least trying to allow non-verified users to get higher publish limits, I’m much less worried about this update.

5 Likes

Id also say is why isn’t PayPal or bank account isn’t a method to verify ID as one must be 18 to have a bank account :thinking: with that said though this ID system sucks next 1 year or something roblox will require your ID to just use studio at this rate.

Many devs will hate this post. And I genuinely cant be bothered so I will ignore them because they don’t care and have ID verified themselves but its really is annoying on so many levels.

4 Likes

And nothing about putting animations on-sale? Rather disappointing.

4 Likes

Can we still upload more than 10 meshes and decals each month for our own games privately and not as public assets? My game relies a LOT on having tons of fictional brands, graffiti and complex buildings. If not, please increase this, because this is getting ridiculous. Roblox is calling itself an immersive platform that empowers imagination, but if this limits private meshes & decals as well, then Roblox successfully loses that slogan.

2 Likes

I too am wondering this. I have to upload 300+ meshes a month to import Source maps to ROBLOX for my fans to play.

2 Likes

yes, you can upload unlimited assets privately

1 Like

Yes - private submissions do not count toward your monthly limits.

3 Likes

Maybe that’ll change if they ever do allow audio to go public again (like they promised), but I have no idea.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification. Now I can provide maps to my fans using private assets without having to worry about a limit.

2 Likes

This looks absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for everyone who made this possible!! :heart:

The design is gorgeous and has the right amount of padding in most places. Being split by sound effects & music will help so much. I really love the colors and the black outline on the Monstercat banner, nice touch!

Being able to see whether a model has scripts or not before inserting it also helps as well.

I believe the limit on monthly Creator Marketplace submissions is essential as a first step to help maintain a cleaner develop page. Seeing thousands of copy and paste models by one account is infuriating to navigate through. While I do wish higher limits didn’t require ID verification, I can’t think of any other clear solution as an argument. Ten per month is still a good amount, at least for me personally many months I won’t even make a public model, and 200 is more than enough for me.

Excited for what’s to come - hopefully paid assets & plugins for everyone soon… maybe???

6 Likes

As cool as this is I still think it’s problematic to lock things behind ID verification, as it is inaccessible to the majority of your platform. I know tons of developers who are under the age of 18 (and sometimes even over!) and do not have IDs. I get alternative accounts are an easy workaround and creating them are incredibly easy, but I believe by doing ID verification you’re essentially locking these higher limits behind an age limit.

3 Likes

In that case, allow me to clarify.

You give your license over when test driving a vehicle because the dealership wants to know who has their property should it be stolen (and that you are in compliance with the law). Your driver’s license is not a bargaining chip in this scenario. This is wildly different than ROBLOX bargaining facial ID with things like upload limits which, if I’m being honest, have no correlation.

In this day and age where privacy is consistently under threat (especially over the internet), I’d hardly call it paranoia.

Fortunately, there are several routes of recourse in a scenario like this, few to none of which apply to the scenario at hand.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if this counts for updating models?

3 Likes

I like the changes and they definitely push for a more secure marketplace. The marketplace in its current state is just a mess which is filled to the brim with botted and backdoored assets.

However, like many others are saying, I believe that there should be other ways outside of verifying our ids just to be able to upload more. Not everyone has an id or feels comfortable providing it for something meant to be trivial like this.

I genuinely believe that having premium should also increase the limit to some degree. I understand that some botted accounts may have premium, although those aren’t super plentiful.

3 Likes

Just thought of something that could go with this update, the ability to archive stuff like models.

3 Likes

If ID verification seems to be a hassle, then I guess they could ask for phone number verification. Unfortunately that still means developers under 13 can’t increase their distribution limits, and a few bots could still slip through with phone number verification, possibly. The reason I suggested this is because YouTube requires phone number verification in order to upload videos longer than 15 minutes (for the same apparent reason: to ensure you’re a real person). ID verification on Roblox seems to be effective as far as I know in terms of diminishing bots, but it limits what non-verified developers can do. People under 13 might have a passport (I first used mine when I was 10), but unfortunately they still might not be legally able to use such verification features. It’s a shame Roblox’s subscriptions aren’t for developers anymore, despite the positive reception of some of those limits being removed, but now, the measures for increasing limits have been replaced by age verification which isn’t even accessible for all users.

TLDR: Phone number verification seems like an okay alternative, it might not be as effective as ID verification but who knows.

2 Likes

Does this apply to public group assets, too? If so, I have a few questions:

• Because assets uploaded to a group are owned by the group and not an individual creator, does this mean that the public publishing limit is tied to the group, even if multiple users contributed to the limit?
  • Because there is currently no way of verifying a group (as far as I’m aware), are groups limited to the 10 public models / meshes / decals & 2 plugins limit, even if the owner of the group is ID Verified?

• Will there be a Group Verification feature in the future that would allow for any ID Verification-related asset benefits to apply to the group (such as the public upload limit from today’s update and the ID Verified badge in the toolbox from the Creator Marketplace Trust & Safety Update)? I understand if this cannot be confirmed, though.

3 Likes