New In-Game Topbar

I love @Elttob’s proposed design over the two official proposed ones.

• The first official proposed one has the health bar extremely small and hard to see. With work this proposal could be good.

• The second official proposed one feels way too mobile and way too distracting. I dislike this one immensely.

My main problems with the core UI period

• The health bar is small

• The health bar only shows when you’re hurt

• The health bar cannot be easily moved, the top right is a bit odd in some circumstances

• Backpack icons cannot easily have their size changed (I only mention this because I imagine stylistically these will change with the new topbar)

5 Likes

That’s the point I’m trying to make. Right now, there is no information on the right side of the screen, which makes no sense at all. Even when you press the buttons in the menu, it stays in the only 1/4 of the screen that the new menu takes up. This is a complete waste of space, because this new menu literally wastes the space it could be taking up.

3 Likes

OH!

Where did you see the new menu at?

1 Like

It appears in all games that I play now.

But surprisingly, it doesn’t show up in studio.

1 Like

I’m not able to see it at the moment.
Still though, I now understand your point.

The menu would be perfect if the information just slid over from the left to fill up the rest of the screen.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree with that. If the information would slide over to the right, then you could fit in more options, instead of having to scroll a bunch. However, I don’t understand why “Players” and “Invite players” are two different sections now, because they fall into the same category. I understand everything else and how they are separated, but these two stuck out to me.

2 Likes

Ones to show players in-game, the other is to get players into the game.

That’s how I see it anyways.

True, i really wanted that when you click one of the options of the menu, it will fill the empty side of the menu (right side).
Illustration:

Settings:

Anyway, i really hope the new ingame menu will be more fictional.

11 Likes

Yeah that would be so much better, I agree with this layout.

2 Likes

With the recent leaderboard and this update, it makes me wonder, is not not way overdue for a full revamp of Roblox?
A backpack ui that isn’t grey squares? A health bar on top of other players that isn’t so… weirdly aliased? Why stop at UI, we’ve been stuck with a weird cyan skybox and weird lumpy stud/inlet normalmaps for 7 years we can all agree look undesirable at best.
I mean, Roblox used to have updates with big visual changes back in the day (silently changing the stud texture permanently on a random day in March 2009 comes to mind), but now the game has looked basically the same since 2016.

6 Likes

What does the new backpack icon look like?

2 Likes

I mean I sort of prefer how the health bar above other players was prior to 2015, when it was a clearer green/red health block along with a small-ish Arial name tag above other players which didn’t look half as bad and was easier to see from a distance.

2 Likes

The latest revision looks great. My only gripe is the logo; I understand why you’ve used the gradient logo although I still think it looks out of place with the other flat icons.

I also think ‘Players’ or ‘Player List’ would be more appropriate than ‘Leaderboard’, as most games do not show stats on the list, and it would be easier to understand for some players.

1 Like

Procedural skies is on this year’s roadmap, and I don’t think the studs/inlets are used by very many games now. But I do agree about the backpack and UI above players. Those look pretty bad, and I assume they’ll be updated soon to match the new topbar and menu.

1 Like

:purple_heart: This is a really cool feature, It’s good to move Roblox’s UI design into a more modern look. Although one thing that I’m more considered about is the Roblox Icon button.

:face_with_monocle: Here’s what I mean…new player comes on Roblox and how would they know where they can change the settings and that kinds of stuff?
I just feel like the settings button Icon can use a bit more detailing.

6 Likes

Wow, now i love this. I just was asking me why roblox removes the background, but i am sure that you know what you do. I am really happy about this.

This is an awesome look for the top bar, any chance beta tester will get this new top bar to test it out?

2 Likes

I noticed the backpack icon isn’t there, will it be removed or will it be remade as well?

I think that it is most likely going to be removed because gears and the backpack feature aren’t used in a lot of games these days, of course people will be sad and angry about the removal of gears/backpack but it’s a feature no one uses and seems like Roblox is getting rid of.

I could be completely wrong maybe they aren’t removing it but it seems like the right time to do it considering they are moving into the new decade.

This would actually be really awesome! Like your illustration!

That looks so cool! So clean, modern and smooth!