New material 'Cinder Block'

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to make walls consisting of larger brick blocks without making our own bricks. Materials offer a built-in normal maps and that effect is greatly needed. Making our own bricks works, but it is not very performance friendly.

Neither the Cobblestone nor Brick material suffice, in my opinion, to make these type of walls:

We can kind of simulate cinder blocks/larger bricks using Texture objects, but this still doesn’t have that light breaking that materials offer.

If Roblox is able to address your issue, how would it improve your game and/or your development experience?

It would make it easier to make that architectural style of buildings and not have to suffer a hit in performance and part count.

EDIT: Alternatively, being able to scale materials per-part on both X and Y would probably also help with this, and would allow for more manipulation in part materials.

75 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off-topic and bump posts

This feature request is for the cinder block material only. If you would like a different material or a separate change, file a different feature request.

I agree that the brick textures are lacking and I always have found myself needing a larger brick when building walls. Much support

7 Likes

This would be really useful for a medieval town I’m working on. I don’t exactly want to use textures everywhere and have to deal with crazy amounts of z clipping.

4 Likes

I hadn’t even considered cinderblocks as a material. This would be amazing, in fact, didn’t Terrain have a cinderblock material in the past?

3 Likes

The legacy one had the cinder block material.

4 Likes

Support! Going to bump this as I wish there were more materials that users can use and a Cinder Block material would be nice to add!

This is an amazing material and maybe some other materials that could behave and act like this could be added to Roblox as a new material to all of the other features, which could open up more structures and creations developers can make such as a construction site that is in the works of buildings.

Image:

^ Something like this as I mentioned above.

Cobblestone and Brick are useful materials for building purposes but as a replacement for real-world materials as a substitute isn’t the best as they don’t resemble the material the best. I remember the old blocky terrain back in 2012-2013 which used Cinder Block and more materials such as Gold, Aluminum, Iron, and Mossy Rock which were really useful for developers who had more external materials with terrain instead of using part materials.

Anyway, I do believe that they should add Cinder Block as a material to the Roblox engine as I would be using this in some situations.

4 Likes