New Pathfinding is not practical to use

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to use the Roblox provided PathfindingService in a manner that is useful to most users.

There isn’t enough support for a majority of edge cases outside of ‘Get from A-B in a slightly obstructed static environment’.

Examples of what is impractical to do with pathfinding:

• A game which has any moving obstacles. The function ‘CheckOcclusionAsync’ doesn’t even work until the path is recalculated.
  • A game which is based around doors, toggling walls, or any other sort of obstacle that should be igored. There isn’t any way to specify an object that you don’t want to include in the pathfinding mesh.

It is too difficult to specify any settings to pathfinding. There is room for a whole hoarde of options to PathfindingService, including the ability to set minimum gap size, spacing between waypoints, or any fine detail to pathfinding that might be useful when trying to use it in a live environment.

If Roblox is able to address your issue, how would it improve your game and/or your development experience? Please be as specific as possible.

At the moment, I am trying to make an entity which ignores closed doors (it will ignore them and break them open whilst maintaining the path, so I’d want to make pathfinding ignore those doors). It then moves between waypoints to the nearest humanoid target, recalculates if they can still locate them in the path, and then kill them.

This is very difficult with the current pathfinding, requiring the mesh to be constantly recalculated, and a locally rendered door system to be put in place, which is seriously impractical.

I hope this is addressed as myself and many others would find these improvements very useful, instead of having to write our own algorithms and workarounds.

37 Likes

Completely agree, especially when it comes to meshes as the system can’t even detect them. They need to make the new Pathfinding more applicable.

2 Likes

I just wish they’d support custom agents and custom agent properties rather than assuming we’re all using default humanoids.

6 Likes

They are already planning to do just that, based on staff posts here and stuff they said at the RDC presentations about new pathfinding. They just implemented the most common use case first and will add onto that.

1 Like

Exactly - another major thing is jump heights. It’s an example of what I’d like to change. I have a monster that can jump 3x higher than a humanoid. Why can’t I get a path to reflect this?

5 Likes