New Physics Stepping Method: Adaptive Timestepping

Any update on this or any way to have some studio client to test this? Definitely want to see its effects on my physics-intensive game.

Hello! I’d like to activate this beta for my place.

Place Id: 6539392935

Direct Place URL: Wall Walker - Roblox

Hey uh, I already think this is enabled if YOU READ

Adaptive Timestepping Beta was closed due to some bug fixing.
After some work, we have re-enabled the feature in studio.
Please let us know about any potential bugs / performance issues!

1 Like

Whatever update was made recently had immidiately crash the studio client whenever the method is “Adaptive” in runtime

Hey @Hajimalago, I’m having issues with what seems to be this feature, as whenever I enable this feature, I keep getting very weird humanoid behavior like so:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/741500839666909214/874019217349935244/N7Dp5wlZ5V.mp4

I have not been able to reproduce this issue when setting the stepping method to fixed, but even then it’s somewhat hard to reproduce with Adaptive - I have been unable to create a smaller repro file for this no matter how I’d try, and so I hope it would be fine for me to send you my game’s file in private? Many thanks beforehand.

To clarify - I only test this all in Studio as I only push big updates for our testers, so please let me know if I need to push this for you to test. This is the place link: Gods' Domain - Roblox

3 Likes

@Hajimalago The pets in all of my games use BodyGyro and BodyPosition. When Adaptive is enabled they seem to go out of control. I currently update the body movers every 1/20th of a second or so depending on the users device capabilities.

The first half of the video is using Adaptive and the second half shows them going back to normal when I re-enable Default (Fixed)

I was hoping to use Adaptive to reduce physics lag created through too many moving parts in a tycoon however it breaks my pet movement code completely :frowning:

2 Likes

It seems like an assembly like this should be classified as “unsafe” to run at lower frequencies, but it’s clearly not being classified that way

6 Likes

there is some wierd behaviour with client network-owned physics objects in water, and “adaptive physicsstepping”, making it difficult to swim, no matter the density setting.

Fixed:
fixed.wmv (1.4 MB)

Adaptive:
adaptive.wmv (1.7 MB)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.