New Programs Available: “Roblox China” Licensed to Operate

I’m interested to see the future of Roblox China, but also cautious due to seeing the effects of this market on other companies that have entered.

2 Likes

My only question is what about the Chinese guidelines? Since China is more strict than USA or Europe. And will DevEx work the same?

2 Likes

I still have no idea why people are so against this idea, it only affects people who apply for this program, if you don’t like it , DONT APPLY. People are applying for this program willingfully, and are going to get a paid a hefty sum if done right. Again, if you don’t like the idea, don’t apply, the rules stated here only affect people in this program. I really want people to understand this as there are way too many replies somewhere along the lines of “wow roblox why you do this, this is like a crime or something we don’t want this”.

2 Likes

Could you try again now? This was an on-going issue that should now be fixed (if not, let me know at the link below). Apologies for any inconvenience.

That issue was not related to the program presented in this announcement. Please forward any further discussion on that issue to this bug report!

6 Likes

What stops them from doing so anyway though?

You can legally give them rights to only use certain content in advertisements, but what stops them from using them anyway. I being one developer am going to be powerless to prevent my assets from being used by Tecent, China or the CCP.

You and others keep saying that they “do not gain the right”. Yes, but having seen what even American companies do, there IS a difference between what they claim they’ll do and what they do. For example there are countless instances of American companies claiming they destroy documents and such, when in reality they hold onto them. It’s not as big an issue in America due to us honoring copyrights and such. However, if this is still an issue in America, it will UNDOUBTEDLY be a bigger issue in China.

I’m not sure why you and others keep using the cop out that China simply doesn’t gain the right to use your assets. Yeah, they don’t gain the right, but what stops them from using it anyway. All past evidence points to the fact that they will use it anyway if it gets popular enough. Do you have anything concrete that suggests China/Tencent/The CCP wouldn’t use our Intellectual Property?

8 Likes

To be hired for a job you usually have to be 18 in most Countries unless you’re 16-17 where you could get a part time job.

That is a fair point, lets just hope they dont do that.

1 Like

China has.
China will.

Case studies include Uber, Google, and Apple, who have all had their IP stolen. You can also look at Huawei (a government owned company) which has been repeatedly caught using IP stolen from other companies.

4 Likes

In my country I can get a part-time job at my current age (US, 14). That’s why I’m a little confused why this isn’t open to younger developers.

International jobs, are to my understanding, you need to be an adult for legal purposes. You probably will have to sign a contract of some sort.

Its like a gamble, you could get tons of money and popularity (as well as players which are visible on the main roblox website), or you could lose your IP etc.

(@Automationeer, @Conmmander)

1 Like

A part time job would be a worker of a fast food place or some small thing not working for a business at the age of 14…

Will this be a separate platform or the same one?

Ayup, you’re not the only one. Hard to believe that the ROBLOX Corporation is in league with a dictatorial regime that commits innumerable human rights violations on a daily basis. Not to mention that the CCP actively works to suppress any of their citizens for speaking the truth regarding a certain, unnamed protest which “didn’t happen” a couple decades back.

6 Likes

https://roblox.cn/

Probably separate. When it comes to gaming, the chinese tend to have seperate servers.

ok this is cool and I’m happy Roblox will now reach out to more people but I have one question, due to china’s laws for video games will horror games not be available? because I know that most games if there are things like skulls then china will make you change it, for example when epic games expanded to china they needed to change the skull trooper for the Chinese version.

1 Like

This is probably Roblox’s most riskiest business ever done, there’s too much of what we don’t know about the new program and vice versa.

4 Likes

I have a suggestion to the company that powers imagination, don’t create programs with the most restrictive government in the world that is known to shun people of their ideas. It doesn’t make any sense to me that you would do this other than business dealings. Or in response to that Chinese Roblox rip-off perhaps? I don’t know, this is a bit too much “shade” in my opinon.

6 Likes

You really did it, working together with Tencent. Please inform yourself about China and Tencent on Amnesty International so you know why you shouldn’t work with them.

8 Likes