New Script Editor Scrollbar Markers

This is an absolutely massive break for ROBLOX game developers all across the community. Markers on the scroll bar for errors/find results/etc. was one of, if not the, best features of other code editing programs such as Visual Studio.

And now we can finally use it in ROBLOX! Sure, we do have to opt into the beta manually, but that’s not a problem for me, I’ll still use it. Let’s just hope the rest of the development community likes the change. (because there’s probably going to be that one person, let’s be real)

Also, since I didn’t see mentions of them in the original post, is this going to potentially expand to Breakpoints and “TODO” comments?

7 Likes

Its nice to have this finally implemented. Will improve debugging for sure

Can we have smooth scrolling in script editor next? :eyes:

3 Likes

Wow, this really well be very helpful!! No more takin 10 mins to fix a little bug! Thanks :smiley: , I’ll waiting for more interesting and supportive updates for scripters!!

4 Likes

This is awesome!

Since you guys are doing some script editor updates, would you mind giving a look to the bug where local variables don’t show inside functions? Take this code for example

local var1 = "string"

local function test()
    local var2 = nil
    var2 = ... -- here, var2 doesn't show in autocomplete but var1 does.
end
1 Like

We definitely intend on looking at other functionality we can add to the scrollbar, including breakpoints / TODO-type comments. We have our hands full with a lot of Script Editor projects right now though, so this won’t be a priority for a little bit :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Make sure you have the Luau-powered Autocomplete Beta enabled, that bug is fixed there

2 Likes

I would have enabled it but the autocomplete is huge and ugly.

Agree but I’d also like a way to toggle this if that’s the case.

oh, i’ve noticed those today, personally i find them quite useless, but i can see someone that loses track of their code very easily benefit from them

Can’t wait to see what other awesome goodies we get next! Thanks for helping out with this update! :smiley:

1 Like

I have been waiting for this ever since I started developing!! This is great!

This is awesome - thank you! Looking forward to making the most out of these new features :sparkles:

1 Like

This will save so much time as instead of having one error being told at you at a time on the bottom of your screen, you can easily identify where they’re at with a visual example! Now I don’t have to hassle a lot fixing big scripts!

Keep up the good work, Roblox! :+1:

Very helpful feature. Thank you!

Should the marks still be here after closing find/replace/(find all/replace all)?
(Already tried closing and opening my script again)

I was going to suggest the markers in the suggestions but i am glad you guys added one like in chrome. It makes searching long scripts more usefull

This was a much-needed change!

This is really cool I’m not much of a scripter but I do some scripting and this is going to help make it way easier to find and fix errors in scripts

1 Like

This is a great new feature. I cannot tell you the amount of times where I have had an issue but it has not shown up so I have had to view the whole script for the error.

This is going to reduce looking for bugs.

1 Like

I just noticed this while programming a 2D game, and I love it! I loved how VS had this feature. Another cool feature would be a minimap like so:

3 Likes