New servers starting before old ones are full

This isn’t about teleporting, this is just about players joining a game and being placed into an empty server.

It shouldn’t happen.

5 Likes

This may also be caused by the same problem:

1 Like

This has been an issue for a while now. Here’s a thread from February describing the same problem:

Maybe someone from Staff should pin a thread about this issue, seeing as someone makes a new thread about the same problem every so often. Do they know why this is happening, by the way?

From what I’ve heard its because of the expansion of roblox servers, because it would need to update a central server and such to find servers already available. I could be wrong, but thats what I’ve heard.

ugh

It is because when a player requests to enter a game, the code that decides where to send them considers lots of factors, such as ping time, friends, etc. to make the decision, and sometimes it decides the best choice is to spin up a new server.

Unfortunately it has the greatest effect when few players are in a game. Once running servers are well-distributed enough, joining players will be sent to an existing server and the problem will generally disappear.

4 Likes

I would prefer my small game of four wasn’t split up into two servers by default. It isn’t going to have 100 players in it. I think the whole segregation thing shouldn’t kick in until the game actually has enough players to have multiple servers by itself.

3 Likes

I think we should have an option (here I go again) to allow Roblox to split up players, otherwise all players should be sent into available servers. I feel like this hidden system defeats the purpose of Preferred Player Count.

This happens to me all the time still today.
Earlier today my game had 9 people and 4 servers.
For a game with a server limit set to 30 I’ve had as many as 11 servers without ever hitting 30 players.

Closing as not a bug based on the staff response above