New Sponsored Items and Updated Ad Audiences

This is one of the worst changes for developers, it’s now way more difficult to promote games and not just for <13 people. It used to be a large chunk of sponsors went to <13, now the entirety of sponsors are going to 13+, so sponsors are far more saturated than they were before, not to mention any game thats targeted towards kids basically just being pointless now.

I’m assuming this was for legal reasons but there was 1) no explanation on why this change had to be made, 2) no plan in place to compensate for the giant discovery hit, 3) this change was done completely randomly (0 warning), I’m having to scrap a project that we’ve worked on for multiple months because theres simply no way to market it and it was targeted towards <13, if there was some heads up we would have had the chance to give it up then, and if instead it was a warning now, that would at least allow some time to try and reach a sort.

If this change was 100% necessary, there should have been a explanation with ATLEAST a month warning on top of new discovery options. This update is the most damaging change I’ve experienced in the 12 years I’ve been on the platform, never has discovery been as difficult as it is now.

8 Likes

I myself am currently making an Obby - and as most of you know, over 50% of the obby-players are <13! So, now I basically have no option to reach this audience!
What was Roblox thinking when doing this update? - they should have at least provided an alternative way to reach this now isolated audience, or should have just given us an explanation on why this update was necessary!

5 Likes

Now most developers no longer have a reason to pay for ads

1 Like

I do not know how to feel about this. How are game developers benefiting from this in any way?

With all due respect, such major change should’ve been done as a result of a negative impact or a critical problem. But I cannot think of any logical answer to why prohibit a huge part of the player base on Roblox from seeing Advertisements which are mostly appropriate and PG?

I hope in the future such decision is reconsidered. :-1:

4 Likes

this could also result in developers having to make actual good games instead of relying on small kids who play anything

1 Like

Wouldn’t it make much more sense to base this upon Age Recommendations instead of a complete ban?

Otherwise you are just punishing those developers who are building good experiences geared toward young audiences.

5 Likes

This update is so bad especially for developers. Games are gonna be less discoverable as around 50% of the platform is <13. It will be a lot harder to make games discoverable. Overall really bad update for developers advertising their games.

4 Likes

Horrible move by Roblox. I understand it’s for security/legal reasons however making it so only well established games get access to a huge portion of players under 13 and newer developers trying to make a good game and earn profit almost impossible to gain players/sustain a game.

7 Likes

Back when my game was profitable I was spending 10k Robux on ads daily. I was only able to receive about 20 - 30 concurrent players. I can only imagine how hard discoverability is going to be now when I release my new project.

2 Likes

bro… but they got rid of under 13 lmao

3 Likes

So it’s been multiple days since this update was revealed & Roblox has yet to comment further to the mass amounts of criticism. Not a good look…

3 Likes

Roblox? Responding to backlash? :rofl: :rofl: Nah, I’d bet they will just keep their trap shut till this all blows over. Same thing happened with the audio and previous sponsor updates. They couldn’t give less of a crap about accommodating for their developers.

8 Likes

This is a really bad idea. Much games such as cafe games, hotel and other group games. New games that is suitable for all ages may not have the chance to see it. Maybe put an all ages option for everyone to see it. It would be better and we would get more impressions on it. Since it is such a bad idea about half a billion people are children who play Roblox. If creators such as myself and other creators which are small.

1 Like

yikes

whatever changes they had made to ads the past couple months had started to tank stats but now it is absolutely not even worth running them anymore unless you have a considerable amount of money to throw away

8 Likes

At this point I wouldn’t think about them commenting on this in the first place. This has to be a legal change so I doubt one will be made within the next 2 years…

Fix the discoverability algorithm.

6 Likes

It’s already incredibly difficult to be discovered in this platform and this change has made it even harder. This is disappointing.

6 Likes

People keep saying its a “legal change”, yet there hasn’t been any actual evidence (that i’ve seen) that supports that. Just people making assumptions that it has to do with coppa… Which to my understanding, Roblox complies with since it’s not targeted ads towards kids.

I feel like if it was legal changes, Roblox would just say so. They’ve done that in the past. For instance, Roblox mentions multiple times in right-of-erasure’s that it’s a legal requirement.

There would be no reason to hide legal reasonings unless it’s somehow a law suit that’s settled out of court… Which I doubt since I dont see anything on PacerMonitor to indicate a lawsuit retaining to advertising.

The legal definition of Advertising’ is " Advertising is the act or practice of attracting public notice and attention". Wouldn’t the entire games page fall under that definition?

1 Like

I thought so too until I was reminded that Roblox is being currently sued by Truth In Advertising.

1 Like

That’s a complaint, not an actual lawsuit no?
Even then, that’s more talking about how brand-worlds are ‘stealth’ ads that are not easily identifiable as advertisements.

After skimming through, it doesn’t appear that they mention user-ads nor user-sponsors.

And the complaint was declined? If im reading this right it appears the most recent update was that nothing is happening from their complaint.

1 Like