New Studio Command: Group as a Folder

Today, I will spare you my usual encyclopedia-length announcement and bring you a short but sweet Studio quality of life update. Studio now has a “Group as a Folder” command similar to the existing “Group” (as a Model) command.

Over time as Roblox has evolved, many of the more complex games on the platform have come to use Folders just as much as Models so we figured it was about time to introduce a more convenient way to create them as you organize your experience.

You can access the Group as a Folder command:

• Using the keybinding Ctrl + Alt/Opt + G

• In the context menu, next to the Group command

• In the ribbon bar, under the dropdown on the Group button

In addition:

• The Ungroup command has been updated correspondingly to work on Folders as well as Models.

• The old Group command has had its behavior simplified so that grouping as a Model and grouping as a Folder will have identical behavior: Both will group all selected objects which are possible to parent to the created Model or Folder rather than making a bespoke decision based on the type of Instance like the old Group command did.

• The Group command has been renamed to “Group as a Model” for clarity between the two.

Let us know what you think down below!

Thanks.

307 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

Will there no longer be a modal group command or is this just an addition to the key-binds?

4 Likes

It’s such a simple change yet it’s going to go such a long way in helping increase our workflow. Great stuff!

10 Likes

Completely additive! Ctrl + G Groups as a Model just like before.

9 Likes

This is simply amazing, thank you for finally adding this. I’ve wanted a feature like this for so long. Can’t wait until the “production issues” mentioned are dealt with so I can use this myself!

6 Likes

I absolutely love this addition. Something really simple but extremely useful. I find myself using folders for most things these days.

2 Likes

What would be an interesting feature would be some kind of macro editor for Studio, so that users can define actions to be run using custom keybinds. I think this would really improve a lot of the tedious things with Studio; although this may already be possible with the likes of Plugins.

2 Likes

This should be a great update then! I have been annoyed in the past where I wanted to group some values together but had to create a new folder and drag them in which I guess was ok but just slows down work flow a bit.

It is in addition to the key binds. Model group command still stays so you don’t have to worry about it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t know why… but it feel…wrong like the studio overall feels and looks different i’ll get use to it but i dont like it

1 Like

You’re probably referring to the Studio Design Refresh - Docking Overhaul & Ribbon Upgrade changes which rolled out to everyone this week, please comment with any particular issues on that thread.

1 Like

Glad this is finally a thing! I personally have updated my keybind to Ctrl+F as when trying to reach for multiple keys like Ctrl+Alt+G does wrap my fingers around it.

Not sure if anyone else got that struggle I be trying to use putting my finger placement like this

CTRL - Pinky Finger
ALT - Thumb
G - Index Finger

I seems more convenient to have to set to Ctrl+F as its a unused keybind.

6 Likes

One of the big uses of folders is organizing scripting elements, which you will often be doing in with a script document open, so Ctrl+F which conflicts with Find there is off the table.

We were more interested in having consistency in the shortcuts (Ctrl+G, Ctrl+Shift+G and now Ctrl+Alt+G all perform grouping operations of some kind) than maximum ease of use, since as you point out you can remap it to something easier to hit with one hand if it is something you plan on using a lot.

We’re also planning on introducing more Studio shortcuts for navigation in the near future, so the shortcut real-estate will become a bit more pressured than it has been historically.

5 Likes

I really like this feature, I’m sure it’ll come in handy. It was super annoying to have to shove all the items into a folder manually.

Is there options for swapping the Ctrl + G and Ctrl + Alt/Opt +G? Because I sometimes prefer folder over model, since I am not usually working with building.

Perhaps a better question: When will there be options for rebinding key commands?

The Roblox Team has been pumping out updates hourly :scream: Little features like this make a huge change thank you, keep it up!!!

1 Like

You can remap keybinds through this.

3 Likes

New feature is cool, i like it.

This is a great change - but just to confirm, will this keybind be rebindable?