New Studio Racing Template!

Roblox I am so happy about this! I love how recently you’ve been upgrading the templates. Good job, let’s keep this streak up!

12 Likes

This looks awesome, but at the same time proves that the terrain system needs some work, because the quality of car doesn’t match the quality of terrain, it’s a bit odd mix.

11 Likes

I love this! Some people don’t like for nostalgia reasons, but trust me, it isn’t 2016 anymore.

I’m gonna play around with it.

Great to see Roblox care about the new engine!

11 Likes

This is phenomenal! It does expose one issue though, which is the driver camera. Reversing causes the camera to forcefully go backwards, which is REALLY jarring.

7 Likes

Could y’all package this into a tool box without racing systems and a bit more bare bones for us who already have a game but want to add good cars. Heart if you agree so maybe they will see!

8 Likes

Just played around with it, this is unexpectedly high quality! Really good job on the visuals and the driving experience. If this becomes the standard, I’ll surely drive around on some race tracks sometime.

Would love to see this chassis being implemented in the other endorsed cars and perhaps also release the already-made planes and helicopters, as mentioned in this feature request.

Good starter resources can greatly improve game quality on the platform :+1:

15 Likes

fire, im a huge fan of The Crew so this finna be lit for sure

5 Likes

Here you go:

You can drag-and-drop this buggy in your game and it should work immediately.

6 Likes

Wth, did you just do that or did you already make that lmao.

2 Likes

They deserve the credit for making the cars plug-and-play into other games, it’s really flexible and beginner-friendly

10 Likes

Is there any AI racers on this template or not? It looks cool but I would like to see AI racers fill in servers that only have 1 player.

3 Likes

That’s actually a good point, even though it won’t be ML a simple if this do that NPC behavior is good.

2 Likes

22 Likes

I saw this yesterday, the handling is incredible! It’s also very easy to work with, I was able to hook up a golf cart model to it fairly easily. I don’t have much issues with it aside from the camera, so I’m definitely going to be using this handling in my game.

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to getting the rest of the templates remade too.
I love this one, Great job guys!

2 Likes

Glad you like it! Yes, we are definitely planning to redo more templates, though they may not all be as art-heavy as this one, we’re definitely going to improve the visuals and code. The current templates are outdated and we’d like to make sure they’re all following the current best practices for the platform.

This is super cool! How was your experience adding this? We tried to make it as easy as possible to extend with clean, commented code and attributes to interface with.

It does not include AI racers, but the car was designed with this use case in mind. You can take out the client control scripts and have an AI script interface with the car through the Controller module as well as attributes on the Input configuration object inside the car.

11 Likes

My experience was more of thinking how other racing games ranked their players, and trying to replicate those elements in Roblox.
The code is a table that stores all the current players in the race, and updates their placement based on some value. Since there was already a checkpoint element already implemented in the game, it was easier to write a logic system using elements already provided to me than to make up another. At first, calculating the player’s placement grew from the # of checkpoints passed, then I decided for the code to track position in between checkpoints, offering more competition and the urge to pass players in the race.

6 Likes

Haha I was waiting for an announcement on this. I saw it was updated in studio yesterday and I played around in it. I really enjoy this new racing template.

Speedrun time

4 Likes

Thank you Cedar! I was the art lead for this update, as well as the Modern City. Visual improvements to the Templates are super important to us, and the rendering engine has come a LONG way in the last few years, so we want the templates to inspire!

8 Likes

I do like the new Template but I did have some issues with it yesterday where if I put the max speed of the buggy and crash into something my character would freak out by teleporting millions of studs away and back to the place of the crash (same with the buggy itself) and I do not know how to fix it, maybe it has been fixed, now that this Template has been announced officially.

2 Likes