New SurfaceGui.MaxDistance property

What would be the performance benefits overall? Appreciate this sort of feature.

Also would there by any chance of having the CanvasGroup’s limitations lifted?

16 Likes

It’s pretty cool to see some new ways that performance can be improved by reducing the amount of assets loaded in the client workspace at a time. :+1:

17 Likes

Owww yeees i really love thissss

finally I won’t have to be playing with the other properties to make the gui disappear whenever I want

16 Likes

If you want to update all your SurfaceGuis at once, here’s an Explorer trick.

52 Likes

This post alone deserves to be an announcement. Never knew of this ability at all.

31 Likes

There is an announcement about this, in fact! It’s incredibly helpful. I spend far less time querying the DataModel with weird tricks from the command bar or Quick Open menu due to this.

It is also documented on the Docs Site:

19 Likes

My eyes must’ve been blinded when this post came about. Thanks!

16 Likes

Can we get a property or event when the GUI becomes visible to listen to so we can hide stand-in decals when the player comes close enough?

18 Likes

This update is amazing! big thanks for making it!

9 Likes

This is great, but instead of a pop in and out with distance, maybe once the distance has been reached, the surface gui can do a fade in or fade out. I think that would be less jarring.

Also I have to agree with previous posts that it would be nice to have an event for when this happens.

8 Likes

Thanks for this, as per my post here - UI flickering has been a huge issue in my experience. Hopefully this will resolve it for us. :pray:

8 Likes

fantastible change

no more Laggy Computer boys

7 Likes

Thank you for this! :pray:
Are there plans to also add a MaxDistance property to Decals & Texture instances?

12 Likes

I’m sure this would be a useful feature to reduce lag on a game that uses a lot of text labels.

9 Likes

Does this also resolve the major issue where “too many” SurfaceGui objects causes the actual UI Rendering to not function anymore?

If this issue is resolved with the introduction to this “MaxDistance” property I can indeed see this being beneficial.

Yet also I would assume this issue still persists if enough “SurfaceGUI” objects are rendered enough in the distance it’s set to be, which still holds me back from using this feature in items for the Sandbox Tycoon game where the user can place the items as much as they want if it fits on there plot.

11 Likes

I think that the issue here is that we need a resample mode for decals.

9 Likes

This is a very good feature. Because I use a lot of SurfaceGUI in my game. :+1:t5:

8 Likes

we’re missing a Min Distance property though

7 Likes

Why would we need that. You want to NOT see the SurfaceGui?

8 Likes

Simply, sometimes you want the player to see the entire thing from a bit further rather than up close to their faces

7 Likes