New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

I have posted 2 messages to opt in for my game aswell and haven’t seen any differences, it’s been a few weeks aswell… :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

It is supposed to release sometime in the next month or two I think. Also, I don’t think this is the place where you opt-it.

3 Likes

Wow, ROBLOX has come really far from its initial release and people can no longer call it a “lego game”. Sometimes, when I see the images posted on the DevForum, I question if it is actually coming from ROBLOX! Keep it up!

They have not opened up the opt-in testing programme for the materials and it’s actually astonishing to see that people have actually assumed that it has been.

Roblox will make a further announcement (or post) when the beta for the new materials begins - until then, please don’t post your place ID to opt in, because you will just be wasting your own time.

2 Likes

I really don’t see any problem with this, i think it will be useful when it goes public.

Hello all! Its truly great to see all the responses to these materials! I wanted to follow up on a few things in this thread.

1. We are not taking applicants just yet for the beta. We will make a separate announcement with the actual beta release, including how you can be included! Thanks for your patience!
  2. Thank you all for your proposals for new materials. This is incredibly helpful while we decide on where we expand the library. At the end of the day, we want to empower your imagination!
  3. We will also make an announcement with the new expanded materials, including visuals, prior to their release. This way you can see them before they launch!

Lastly, keep the ideas and feedback coming. What materials are you really missing to realize your place/game/experience? We want to hear!

Thank you all!

41 Likes

Can we get a better plastic material that we can use both on parts and terrain? Also any idea when the connection of water and terrain will be properly fixed?

5 Likes

This is amazing!!! I love this so much!

I like all the additions, so far! If there were any additional materials I’d request they’d be:

-A texture like this! Cinder block/concrete block walls are very common and are distinct from regular brick walls.

-A more gritty, concrete texture for things that aren’t as nice and smooth:

-Softer cloth! The current cloth texture looks like burlap, and not every cloth should look like burlap.

I’ll add onto this list if I come up with more ideas. Personally, these are all the types of textures I’ve used multiple times in my builds. Thank you!

19 Likes

Fully support the addition of this, or something like the Plastic we had in 2013-20, which looked somewhat brighter and noticeably less greasy than the version we currently have.

5 Likes

Can we get confirmation if the current materials will be kept as they are, just with new additions being made? It would be a shame to see the loss of the unique “ROBLOX” style visuals permanently due to any removals.

5 Likes

Current parts are being revamped too, as made evident by the final picture (the one with all the materials lined up), here:

here:

and here:

We would love to opt in for our open world survival game.

Place id- 5359914367

I think to improve game experience add a feature where you can add displacement to the texture or I think adding these textures wouldn’t require you to add displacement. Everything is so perfect sometimes you need rough and displaced textures.
Cracked road:

Forest ground:

Hay:

Cracked Desert:image

Polished brass texture: image

26 Likes

Woohoo! Finally, more materials! I can proudly say that this is one of the best updates to Roblox in the past 2 years! I can’t wait until these new materials are added, because this combined with the recently released future is bright update will be INCREDIBLE. My games are going to look so good!

3 Likes

Is there a vague release date for the beta?

5 Likes

Oh wow, I can’t wait for this to be released in the future!

2 Likes

I would love to opt into this if at all possible:
PlaceID: 5270644469

I do really think this should be escalated to the beta branch ASAP, as there’s more than enough interest in people wanting to design and play with these.

I really like the texture selection provided, but I feel like there should be some more textures designed with transparency in mind, namely:

Frosted Glass:
frostedglass

Jelly:
jelly

Crystal:
crystal

I feel like the above textures would give a nice challenge to the new lighting systems and allow for all sorts of interesting lightbending!

34 Likes

Just a reminder can you stop posting your game ID and saying to opt in. They said themselves they’re gonna make a separate post for that. It’s just spam at this point.

13 Likes

Personally, I can’t think of a way to use a jelly material, but then again, I’m not the brightest bulb in the room. I still think that these ideas are great and should definitely be considered

5 Likes