New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

OMG it worked, thank you so much! :grin:

1 Like

Alright, so I’ve tried the beta out so far and it’s nice. However, there are some issues

1. There seems to be pre-defined colors for some of the new materials. This is much more prevalent on the new terrain materials ported over to part materials. Keep in mind all of the parts in this picture lined up here are Medium Stone Grey
  2. For parts like cracked lava or leafy grass, there should be a way to customize the color of finer details, like the lava, or the little grass bits.
  3. Studs strangely only show up as a fuzzy texture on plastic bricks. This also appears on other welding surfaces like universal, inlets, glue, and weld.
  4. Materials like bricks seem to have these weird lines across it.
  5. Wood is too dark. Left to right: Wooden planks, wood, and smooth plastic. All of these have the same brickcolor, pinecone.
  6. What is wrong with terrain pavement?
6 Likes

could use work, but… PEBBLE FINALLY LOOKS GOOD LET’S GO BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS

3 Likes

How did you get it? Is it out right now?

1 Like

love the new materials but I think a few things are some things I’d change

the new grass material doesn’t look that grassy I think? In some cases It even looked like the old slate material to me, however the grass featured on the leafy grass does look like grass to me, I don’t know if they’re the same base grass texture being used but something about the leafy grass grass looks a lot better.

the snow also looks more like rock to me? however the snow texture used on terrain I think personally is a perfect visual of snow. would be cool too see possibly the snow from terrain be a part texture

The lava cracks texture also seems a bit dead without an emission on the lava?

the wood texture also seems to have weird dark lines which then kinda make it look wooden planks rather than woodgrain itself

Lastly, I think having texture control, eg: tile size and offset (like the current texture instance) is needed and also having control over roughness and normal map intensity would also be really nice!

5 Likes

this honestly ruins some materials tbh :sad:
the new mats
the old

4 Likes

Looks awesome!! ignores the fact that it might be laggy as hell

:sweat_smile:

Roblox said, There will be no difference between texture performance

2 Likes

They need to add lava glow, like the lava should be glowing and customizable for it’s color instead of just having something like what they have currently.

1 Like

Another thing I’ve noticed that people haven’t pointed out is that the new materials use all kinds of resolutions. The most notable imo is CorrodedMetal

Seriously, what the hell is going on here? I’ve seen better consistency in most Minecraft resource packs. This beta obviously isn’t ready for release but I’m sure you can source better textures than this

9 Likes

Bit of a big issue but on lower graphics I tested it at the lowest setting. Some materials dont even look anywhere near how it looks on higher settings or look like there is a material at all.

Sand on highest setting

RobloxScreenShot20210227_155710999
Sand on lowest setting
RobloxScreenShot20210227_155701944

Barley even looks like sand at all.
Heres more

Diamond plate on highest setting
RobloxScreenShot20210227_155826101

Diamond plate on lowest
RobloxScreenShot20210227_155815804
Doesnt even look like there is a material

From what I know this also effects the plastic, and foil materials. A bit with slate, you can notice it but it’s a bit harder on lowest setting.

Also studs dont appear on the baseplate on highest setting but does on lowest.

8 Likes

Is this currently in studio beta?

1 Like

I noticed that aswell. I just thought they did it because some materials needed higher resolutions then others to save on memory.

Nope, you currently have to download it from here

2 Likes

I could understand that if it was a closer difference and not 2k compared to like 360p

yet that’s the case so :confused:

2 Likes

At the same time you’re usually not gonna be super close to the materials when playing

1 Like

This link is nice, however, it doesn’t have any of the newer textures (to anyone considering the download). It’s cool to see the updated previous textures, however.

3 Likes

Before I had first hand experience with this I was all in with the materials, Although after seeing them some of the materials don’t look the same as before or even fit in.

My biggest issue with this entirely is the brick material. It changed my build so much it just looks stupid.

Current Textures

PBR Textures

They also for some reason make the build look darker than what it really is. Not too big of a fan of that.

Edit -
Part sand seems a bit repetitive compared to terrain sand

8 Likes

I found a bug with plastic while building with no global shadows. The wedges and bricks are the same color, yet the wedges have an obvious difference when looked at compared to the bricks. (Note: This doesn’t happen with global shadows enabled.)

2 Likes