New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

We totally need terrain molten lava.

3 Likes

Also please let certain terrain materials not be rainbow colored. I’M LOOKING AT YOU, ROCK.

1 Like

Are we going to be able to still color parts with materials on them like we would before? Will some parts stay fixed to a certain material?

1 Like

I would like to opt-in this to test the new materials out.

Opt-In Place ID: 5717816383

Also, what will be the direction of the tree bark? Will it match the direction of wood or not?

• Air (part) - completely transparent, but still casts shadows as if it were opaque. Basically reverting this behavior: Air material is no longer invisible
  • Leaves (part and terrain) - using the grass material for trees and bushes isn’t ideal, so having an actual leaf material would be nice.
  • Large bricks (part) - the current bricks are too small for some cases, like castle walls or cinderblocks, so a similar material with larger bricks would solve this.
  • Flowery grass (part and terrain) - like grass, but with small flowers.
  • Solid smooth plastic (part) - like smooth plastic, but without any specular. This would essentially be the SmoothPlastic material but without any sun or light source reflections.
9 Likes

Will terrain be more colorable than the current terrain?

Because currently if you were trying to make red or brown grass it’s pretty much impossible not to get a pink color without messing with the lighting or using a strange color to tint it brown.

Other terrain materials have this problem aswell and it might present strange cases of making part colors different from the terrain colors to match.

2 Likes

I would like to be opt in, please.

Opt-In Place ID: 5062907096

i think it woud be nice to have some roof and green and yellow bamboo texture.
also woud be nice to have some straw for making straw roof.

Example

3 Likes

I would like to opt into the beta.

Place ID: 3553536668

Oh whoa, just woah! This is definitely staggering to look at, an absolute huge step up for not only Roblox but to us developers, kudos to the staff and whoever worked on this. Can’t wait to test this out, would love to opt in along with Jofsuu and TomPlayzGamz himself.

Place IDs: 6111443437, 4697400707, 4577820340

1 Like

Crazy to see how much Roblox has changed from when I was a kid :']

2 Likes

I would like to opt in these 2 places: 6004124332, 6021459132

2 Likes

I think you should add the same materials but stylized. Not everyone wants to make a realistic game. Some people might want cartoony ones and I think it would be best to support that.

7 Likes

I second this, the realistic materials are cool but there it’s currently nearly impossible to make terrain look good with low poly, hand painted, or otherwise stylized assets.

1 Like

here is my opt in place id: 6111932196
would love to play around with these

This is an incredible update and a massive step forward for the future of Roblox! Well done to the team behind this!

I’d love to enter this game (ID: 6111950517) to test out the terrain’s capability and overall feel!

1 Like

Pretty nice, I would like to use it.

I would love to opt in!

Very excited about this! I hope we will get higher resolution textures along with this update as it will make things much more immersive up close!

Opt in 4950718876

1 Like

Finally! I can’t tell from the picture but is that well blended water I’m seeing? Sign me up.

ID: 6112293479