New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

This is an amazing update, Iā€™ve wanted something like this for a long time. Iā€™d like to opt in: 6120740163

Dangā€¦ This is just so great to hear as a builder this is going to change Roblox as a whole.

I would Like to Opt Into this,

OPT IN: 6076262450

This would help me with making my realistic looking game a lot

Why not let all the materials work on parts or terrain? You never know what somebody is using it for. Also are the new materials procedural (lossless) or image based?

Edit: Iā€™d like to see a water like material for parts, and perhaps some filler materials like lines (for siding, roofing and fences) checkered tiles, and perhaps generic grain, candy, cerealā€¦ stuff you put in bowls or containers.

3 Likes

Another reply on this topic, butā€¦ I would LOVE to suggest adding this material. Itā€™s like a Fabric material but better!!! This will look good for the pool/billiard table! (Picture was taken from Google.)

12 Likes

Amazing :smiley:

I would Love!! Building with new materials
Since im a terrain artist Old work deleting soon
Place id:

6 Likes

Terrain update that would be so fun! I really like it!

id:

1 Like

@RBLXImagineer Are there any plans to allow developers to recolor specific parts of terrain? Maybe we want green water in one area, blue in another. Or greener grass in one area, greyer in another.

7 Likes

That can be done via scripting, so I doubt theyā€™d go through the trouble to make water terrain have the option to have different colors with a few clicks and presses. Though that would be niceā€¦ Note that regular terrain (so not water) can not have its color changed with scripts

1 Like

It cannot be done via scripting. There is no way to have two different shades of water (or any terrain color).

2 Likes

You can change the color of the water when a player enters a certain region. Thatā€™s what I meant atleast

1 Like

312969221, I have permission from the owner as he does not have devforum access as far as I can tell. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I feel like glass should have a set of modifiers to blur/sharpen and add your own normal or bump maps to distort the view. But unfortunately, Roblox has said that blurring UI would be too performance intensive and perhaps the same thing could be said with glass.

2 Likes

I barely used Terrain, I mostly used ā€œPoly Terrainā€ or ā€œPart Terrainā€ However, Iā€™d like to Opt in my game, and see how the new terrain fits in. Great update.

(I own the group and the game itā€™s just put in the group as we work as a team now)
IDS:

1 Like

AMAZING. I cannot wait to work with the new materials. This will be fun. A suggestion though, maybe let the developers also add their own textures? just an idea.

1 Like

This will be amazing for car games and showcases, etc. Cant wait to see what people do.

1 Like

I would like to opt into the beta. These new built-in materials and terrain look amazing!

Opt-In Place ID: 1985293888

1 Like

Does anyone know if Roblox is actively enabling people who put their places down for opt in right now or have they yet to respond?

3 Likes

I would love to opt-in! This sounds amazing, and I might need a new road or sidewalk texture for my game. Place Id: 4825524094

1 Like

Is there any chances we will be able to edit the properties (for example the color) of an area that we selected or maybe using a brush to change them manually in the future?

One instance I can give is how the grass blocks change color in Minecraft depending on the biome you are in but still being the same material:

Of course Iā€™m not referring to adding biomes in Roblox but being able to shift the colors or other properties on materials without affecting other places that the same material was used at. (if for example someone wants to make an open world map or something similar.)

19 Likes