New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

Roblox should appeal to the experienced dev teams first cause they’re more likely to produce high-quality games in relation to inexperienced dev teams, look at all the games on the front page; the devs have been on Roblox for years and are experienced.

But if Roblox doesn’t appeal to the inexperienced devs, there’ll be no new experienced devs to replace any experienced devs that may choose to leave for the real games industry. And then there’s no new good games. Then Roblox dies.

7 Likes

I know you get my point, this made me chuckle. Lol

This is extremely cool! Can’t wait to play around with it in studio.

Or they could appeal to both at the same time. Helping out inexperienced devs can make help make them better games.

2 Likes

Is there a way to make flat terrian without plugins, I really like how good it looks and I can’t wait for all the new types but is there a way to use/edit terrain like its a part, If so I can’t wait to utilize all these new types!
Edit: I figured out how and that I am dum lol

2 Likes

A material I’d love to see added for parts is Chrome. Basically a mirror finished metal that makes the part super reflective.

Here’s an example on what I’m on about:
Chrome Example

20 Likes

I highly agree with this. It is incredibly useful for futuristic cities, or even smaller things, such as gold coins / bars.

4 Likes

That could already be done if you used smooth plastic and turn up the reflectance, but if you mean to reflect the surroundings and not just the skybox, then im afraid that roblox doesnt have ray tracing yet.

1 Like
1 Like

@RBLXImagineer Any update or ETA on when we could be seeing some sort of Studio Beta for these new materials, possibly?

I only ask since this announcement was made almost 2 months ago (on December 19th), and we haven’t had that much news on the matter since then.

7 Likes

I think if they will be releasing a new feature they should announce two weeks before the update comes out

4 Likes

Honestly, since we have waited this long since the announcement I would expect even more materials that some people have recommended here.

5 Likes

They are most likely working on the materials at the moment.

Also terrain materials act different than part materials (for example, Stone terrain vs Grass Terrain)

But there has been alot of requests on the materials. Let’s hope most of them do get added along the beta.

1 Like

I’ve always thought the textures for terrain could use an update, this is perfect!

This is amazing! I have been working on a large project for a while and the material selection has been fairly limiting. As for materials and features, Leather and other fabrics are desperately needed.

Something else that would be great is neon settings. More specifically, how intense the glow is. So we can make effects something like this, or just have neon that glows a little less or more than normal.

5 Likes

4171056224, id like to opt in for this testing place.

Not possible. You can’t opt in yet.

1 Like

o, i just saw other people doing it.

Hey @epictitanic6g,
I think it is currently still in testing phase but it will be out as soon as posible.

1 Like