New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

That is absolutely gorgous I can’t wait to see this come to Roblox.

One thing I’d personally like to see is a metal that works better with future lighting.
Possibly a new property or modification of the reflectance property to decide how much of a parts surroundings it reflects. I’m not sure if the painted metal material will fix this issue, but using metal is really hard now due to any light being shined on it making it glare, and a lack of light making it a completely black part.

4 Likes

I would love it if you added Cloth material to the game! The current fabric texture really darkens the color of the parts, so it would be nice to have. :muscle:

3 Likes

SO much better than just a 2D flat texture. :smile:

2 Likes

This is amazing man, will there be any new info about this soon?

3 Likes

It would be pretty cool to have a material that reacts with light sources. Maybe something like a reflective tape material perhaps?

9 Likes

But the foil material does that. And every other material but I’m guessing you mean very reflective materials.

If this does plan to be in a opt-in beta soon (I think they said that they would make a new post announcing all the new materials)

I think there should be a list of materials or features added that are from requests from all the replies in this topic.

Also since I heard that every material is gonna get a new look

As from this from the post:

Hopefully we can keep the old material look for some materials (like in the past, Roblox Materials haven’t changed as much except for Marble, Woodplanks, etc) or older stuff for games.

But it’s just a suggestion I guess.

Honestly I would be happy if roblox did added more options on Part Properties, especially the visuals (Transparency, Color, Reflectance, etc)

1 Like

This is amazing im so excited for this.

2 Likes

Also forgot to mention.

Isn’t the neon in technology.legacy rendered as a “blurry” material for its glow?

If yes, I would like to see a blur material.

Kinda like here (Used bloom with a intensity of 0 to turn off bloom and blur effect set to 10 for an example of a glow size (by roblox default would be 24, didnt do it since the blur effect will go crazy since there is no way for the blur effect to only effect neon specifically.))

Regular Neon (No effects used)

It’s blur size should be controlled with Bloom Effects. (Threshold is not affected by it nor intensity. Only size affects its blur size)

Or a slider in the part properties.

Edit: Nevermind, a glow material would be perfect for this glow behavior. (Neon is a more realistic option but doesn’t make all colors glow, so this can be an alternative option to make all colors glow and have a different bloom effect, (like above,))

A blur material could be useful to blur objects rendered behind it.

I would actually appreciate it you do manage to add a glow material that behaves like in the image above.

4 Likes

The problem is that ALL materials are very reflective, they should have reflective tape then turn down the reflections a bit on all the other materials.

2 Likes

I feel like a nice addition to the materials update is water terrain the more seamlessly works with terrain. Currently water tries to link up near with other terrains which just doesn’t look good, it also loses all of its reflection at the corners. Water could use a heavy revamp in this update.

3 Likes

They have that on a backlog. I had an image somewhere but its coming eventually.

The problem with the current material set, is that they were built and designed around a completely different lighting system which rendered the specular and diffuse in a different way. This is why the visuals in many games look duller (and considerably worse) than they used to be (pre-Phase 2.5), because this is just a duct-tape solution until new materials are introduced, designed using the physically based rendering which debuted with Phase 2.5.

It’s important to note that despite the new lighting system’s release being in 2018, the former methods of computing specular and diffuse (which I still prefer IMO, each to their own I guess) were held onto until Phase 2.5 released in January 2020.

3 Likes

I would like to know too. I mean it has been 60 days since they announced it lol

3 Likes

It’s funny. I have awaited this moment since the day the released it, and I’m just now finding out I have waited 60 days?

10 Likes

We are most likely gonna have to wait like 30 or 15 more days before the update come out

2 Likes

I’d be surprised if it was that soon.

4 Likes

The longest we will have to wait is 41 days because that is when Q1 end. If you click this link: Roblox Creator Roadmap , it has the road map for 2021 and if you look at custom materials you will see that in comes out in Q1 and Q1 is from January 1 to march 31.

5 Likes

Let’s hope we don’t have to wait 41 days. It will be nice having part grass that doesn’t look really weird while up close, and hopefully more materials will have custom reflectivity! (I’m looking at you, metals.)

4 Likes