New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

When I see the new materials being announced: I almost cry
but when I realize they are not in the beta: I hate this

5 Likes

Opt me in please, I’m drooling…

Game ID: 6089535050

3 Likes

This looks fantastic! I would love to enroll!
Place IDs: 5452516278, 5867491159, 2542954329

2 Likes

something is not right something is strange was announced but it is not in the beta

4 Likes

That looks so good, ngl one of the best looking terrain features for a long while.

1 Like

The beta will be released early next year! We wanted to preannounced to get folks excited and feedback on the expanded material list! Keep an eye out!

23 Likes

I too would love to opt-in for my upcoming game Elysium.

Place Id: 5826786844

1 Like

This is great! Pushing the Roblox engine once again. Can’t wait!

2 Likes

Looks realistic and x1000 better than before. I can finally add good terrain to my games. Thanks a lot!

1 Like

This is insane news… I was kinda sad when I found out that custom materials were only gonna be for MeshParts for now, so it makes me happy that Roblox is showing love to parts again. I can’t wait to see what the planned materials turn out like. Thank you so much!

5 Likes
  1. No, Roblox engineers always make sure updates are backward compatible to prevent older games from breaking. Your question was also already answered by an engineer so make sure to read t through the post before asking a question as it may have already been answered:
  1. I don’t believe this statement is confusing. The material update in Studio will be an opt-in beta that is available to everyone. There will be an application set up for those that want it enabled live in their games before its full release.
3 Likes

thanks I have a question regarding the pbr materials before in the hack week the pbr had some specular properties what happened to that?image

9 Likes

THANK YOU for this, best holiday gift ever for a GAME!

Opt in:
PLACE ID: 4878933927
(Testing Place)

3 Likes

I Cannot WAIT for this to come out and release! As a terrain artist, I always find the current materials limiting to what I can actually do, But I’m absolutely thrilled to see this expansion to terrain list and cant wait to continue working with terrain even more-so after this material expansion releases!

However, I feel that terrain properties should be improved on, I feel that if you were to add Properties to change the brightness of certain parts within the material, take lava for example, if you were to give us the option to actually make the lava pop more than it already does, that’d be amazing and help so much for certain things, or even ice, give us an option to increase the gloss of it. I feel little options like this would give terrain builders even more freedom to do whatever their hearts desire.

Opt In
Place-Id - 5110441999

1 Like

What material do I feel needs to be added? The ability to import custom tiled (or not?) PBR materials - not just for meshes. :wink:

On a serious note; I’m making a sci-fi game, and having generic tileable “panel” assets would be great; currently, I need to use either a mesh or many parts to produce good looking panels, where realistically I could just use PBR bump maps to create the same effect.

The new materials shown look great! Can’t wait to see how the rest look - Particularly the diamond part material. I know that creating a convincing diamond material is super difficult.

More very exciting changes as usual!

1 Like

This looks amazing, I love this.

Opt in:
Place Id: 4383426277

11 Likes

This is game-changing. Can’t wait to see what’s to come from this!

OH MY GOD, THIS IS AMAZING, I CAN’T BELIVE THAT THIS IS HAPPENING, I CAN’T WAIT TO IT GET RELEASED!
Thank you guys!

2 Likes

Woahh, that’s amazing, can’t wait to see the great uses for this!

1 Like

Sorry for the bump, but more like 7-6 years ago? Smooth terrain was introduced in 2015.