New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

I really want to know when it is coming, i really can’t wait to see the new materials

So, when are we getting custom terrain materials? I enjoy these additions, but there is still no “real” artistic freedom with terrain.

This looks so fascinating man

I’d like to opt-in, place id: 520906992

Wonder if these new materials could cause any lag for older devices running old operating systems.

2 Likes

The performance of these new materials is comparable to the older style, so you shouldn’t see performance issues running them!

6 Likes

Nice materials!

I hope that you update the corrugated iron however - right now it looks too outdated. Also, some more variants to the base concrete and metal textures would be more than welcome

1 Like

Specular was replaced by PBR metalness/roughness. The two maps achieve the same effect, but are more physically accurate with regard to lighting!

In a nutshell, its still there, just under the correct name now!

11 Likes

I have been blown away by this announcement. I am excited for this new update! The terrain looks pretty realistic and now parts are going to have terrain materials? This update is awesome.

For those asking if beta is released:

1 Like

FINALLY! I’m honestly so excited for this! I’ve been experimenting with terrain and I plan to make some absolutely amazing things with this update. I also have a quick question. Will we also be able to apply these terrain materials to a MeshPart? Or is it only Terrain/Part.

Also, here’s my game ID to request a whitelist!

2 Likes

I love how some of the part materials match the terrain now! This would make my games looks so much better since they use parts and terrain.

I would like to opt-in

Place ids: 5680149360 and 5680177872

Op in: (When/if available)
Root place ids:

4941920729 - Private developer testing place!
4962302748 - Developer realm!
4990099842 - Main game: ONLY IF it does NOT mess with existing materials. Else wait!

Reason:
I’d love to test out and mess around with some of these experimental assets as I create the new world (2, so won’t mess with current game content) for my game, an rpg open world with dungeons, sadly my dungeons are spawned in and usual don’t use SmoothTerrain so I’d be able to mess around with both.

NOTE: My game heavily takes use of sub places.

1. We need the ability to paint decorations with terrain and apply “SmoothTerrain-like, decorations to Parts”
  2. Blend, blur, and mix terrain assets such as grass.
  3. Recolor terrain materials as we paint, ie. we could have several variants of grass that way!
  4. Improved foot step sounds! :wink:

And neat, I see the dirt underlying the grass, maybe a way to disable cliff faces/edges game wide and as well paint? (5)

1. Decoration painter, ie. moss and-or grass?
  2. Forget to mention it, brushes. brushes!
  3. Add tiles, floor tiles, and more bricks!
3 Likes

My dear god, WOW! I cannot be thankful enough for this HUGE & AMAZING move you guys have come up with. I’m very thankful about these FANTASTIC changes & for giving us Developers more freedom over our work! Thank you!! Cannot wait experiment with this! :smile:

1 Like

I have always loved terrain and this will just make it so much better. This is amazing, a truly great addition. I find alot of artistic freedom using terrain over parts and am truly excited to start using everything new.

1 Like

This is absolutely amazing! I would love to test this! Keep up the great work Roblox!

Opt in

Place ID: 6106822861

MY JAW PROBABLY DUG DOWN DEEP INTO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH.

HOLY SMOKES.

I LITERALLY CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS UPDATE!

(p.s, how will it affect performance? I’m scared that PBR might eat up 20 frames or something)

YES YES YES AGJAGGH

5 Likes

SHEEEEEEEEEESH!!!

BRO THANKS SO MUCH!

It’s been a good while since us builders got a good update, so thank you so much. I’m so hyped for this to come out of beta. You just created a whole you experience for roblox.

1 Like

I decided to reopen studio for some reason then I opened it and realized the “What’s New!” was lit up and I got so excited but then I got even more excited at the update thank you so much, I was waiting for this for a long time and my patients paid off.

3 Likes

Looks nice! I would like to try this out in my testing place and me main game!
5141142260 (main game)
5506161664 (testing)
both would be appreciated.
This might affect some of my scripts because they use part.material = "Neon" instead of an enum though. I do want to test this really badly grr.

How do you contact us with weather we get approved?
Will there ever be a true water texture for studio? (not foil texture)?
Will studio testing be available for people who sign up for this now?

1 Like

Allow me to say this: I have been checking the dev forum daily for the past several months in anticipation for this update. I am very, very pleased with this announcement. I’m now awaiting to be able to experiment with these tools first hand, here is the place ID I would like to utilize:

If I may add some feedback that doesn’t necessarily pertain to these new features- it’s about the water. Roblox’s terrain water really doesn’t look bad, it just doesn’t blend with the voxels for terrain materials very well. If I want a beach, for example, the way the water connects to the sand looks very choppy. Is this something being fixed in this update? If not, can I at least offer a suggestion to enable the ability to sort water terrain under it’s own entity? This way, yes, the collision fidelity for the water is nonexistent, however, it won’t look so choppy when connected to landscapes. This feature could at least be utilized until there is a fix for this issue. But again, if this is being fixed soon, then this request is voided entirely.

Regardless, thanks again for this announcement! We can not wait to play with these tools ourselves.

3 Likes