New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

It’s the other way around. The smaller brick size is the correct one, as I had been using it for various iterations of the beta.

Here is a picture showing the correct size for one of my builds.

Here is a picture of how it looks with the incorrect proportions.

I have other examples saved. The proportions are not correct, but it’s the parts that have that. I need those new materials to be properly sized in order to continue these builds. They are properly maintained in the terrain, but not in parts.

3 Likes

Not going to lie, larger brick looks cool as well.

5 Likes

hm there other explain are brick has to build there looks cool so yeah that’s a part continue is ngl for parts

1 Like

That’s weird… I haven’t really seen it on any of my builds, probably because I don’t use brick. You can just keep swapping them when you open builds but I’m not sure…?

Great update, but there is one material that needs to be changed. Plastic is the most used Roblox material ever, but ever since the glare was removed in 2019 as some kind of band-aid fix to the glare in player profiles on the website (the glare was caused by the new lighting engine), it has not looked right. It has been this way ever since. (I didn’t even mind the glare in the player profiles, it looked fine)

In the new beta builds, the Plastic, along with the surfaces, appear to not have been changed. The plastic looks way too matte, not shiny enough. Unlike Plastic, SmoothPlastic does not work with surfaces, so I want to use regular Plastic, but it does not look “Plastic” enough. Kinda disappointed that Plastic wasn’t even touched in this new “Material Update”.

Make Plastic shiny again!

3 Likes

Totally agree with you on the Plastic issue. I think the reason its appearance changed in the first place, is because of the introduction of the PBR renderer.

I still don’t quite understand what was wrong with the previous specular/diffuse renderer as it seemed to be less complicated and would actually have been easier to link into a MaterialService/Variant type system than the current PBR system (Roblox files still use the old names)

EDIT: Images added for reference, first image of how it used to look, second of how it is today:
OldPlastic
NewPlastic

5 Likes

Plastic now is basically a bad version of leather. It just needs to be more smooth and reflective to be useful at all.

7 Likes

Hear me out: instead of default materials using the ugly skybox lighting, they should use the specific thing they made reflections with cubemaps at least that would make them look better.

4 Likes

Did I miss something? Was there a new update?

2 Likes

This happened back in January 2020, quite a while ago.

3 Likes

Oh, I see. I hadn’t noticed that when it happened.

Thank you for clarifying.

Now, this is an EPIC gamer moment.

I agree, it looks more organized

Well, I wish you the best of luck!

3 Likes

No need to wish luck, the issue has been addressed.

3 Likes

Ok, thank you. I thought it was WIP

using a normalmap in the completely wrong channel order won’t work,
i’m assuming it expects the same format surfaceappearance normals to be in so to convert roblox DDS normalmaps to the format roblox expects from user uploads:
copy red channel to a new image’s blue channel
copy alpha channel to a new image’s red channel
copy green channel to a new image’s green channel
example below

to:

6 Likes

Let’s gooo

What program did you use to do this? Also, if you have the time, can you publish a community resource with all the Normal Maps please? ty

At this point this is spam. You can be helpful without spamming the same message.

9 Likes

Well, I guess so. Sorry about that. I have a tendency to slowly repeat myself because my life is busy and dramatic, meaning I tend to forget what I do quickly.

Also someone I know sent me this

Roblox are working on proper custom materials at the moment, which seems to be their resolve for sorting this topic out.

9 Likes