Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

Is there any chance we will be able to stop the material offset from being random? I am trying to make tiles but they keep being cut off.

17 Likes

This bursts of updates, as someone who was using this platform for architecture models, is just such useful stuff. I finally don’t have to use hundreds of textures that won’t look as detailed as proper materials! Thank you for all this <3

2 Likes

Yep, they should add a stud offset like they did with the textures

Would be nice as that would then allow for custom (or classic) Stud designs…

2 Likes

Someone did it but it took them ages, this will be easier (I hope)

An interesting aside is that if you know what you’re doing, you can (ab)use this feature + EnvironmentSpecularScale with the right metalness/roughness combinations to more or less recreate the current material configurations in a style that more closely matches the Legacy lighting mode.

Not exactly perfect yet but shows that it is possible to bring this look back.

I do intend to ship this to my games once this rolls out fully, the only real downside being that you’re limited to using one image for your skybox as the actual Sky object has to use pitch black in order to get the desired effect.

I will also make this material pack publicly available once I’ve been through with creating everything and have fine-tuned it to a point where I am reasonably happy with the visual parity of the materials versus how they looked in 2017.

I’m sure someone else could probably do a better job of this than me but it does show you that the default configurations Roblox currently use are of a questionably poor nature, something I’ve been trying to highlight for a while for varying reasons, here, here, here and here:

Positives of such a method:

• Things have more depth and life to them again and IMHO look immeasurably better than default Compatibility mode
  • Plastic doesn’t look horrendously washed out anymore
  • Some of the “classic” October 2013 materials can be restored in-place of their newer versions (i.e. WoodPlanks, Marble)

Negatives:

• Significant loss of skybox customisation due to hacky implementation (impact varies depending on your game)
  • Can look slightly odd on lower ambient settings
14 Likes

Poly Haven, credits to @IceTheOneAndOnly.

1 Like

So Crazed, got plenty of websites:

I use all of these to make PBR materials

https://www.cgbookcase.com/

https://www.textures.com/browse/pbr-materials/114558

20 Likes

Obsessed with this! Great update!

1 Like

There’s a team create bug where it doesn’t replicate across studio sessions.

This is really important for the game I’m working on with my team. We need to use this feature to achieve the fidelity we were aiming for.

2 Likes

QUESTION!
Hey! I’ve tried this and its really good https://gyazo.com/f8568b4a82f0118cd39e0f02f974357e
Problem is when I leave and save studio and come back The MaterialVariant is all gone and I have to redo it. Why does this happen? is it because it’s a beta feature or do I need to save it in someway?

It doesn’t work in team create, no idea why

2 Likes

Roblox should make it where the pbr materials pop out like this

like it actually is 3D instead of being flat, that’d be amazing tbh

11 Likes

There would be a slider for it too and you can slide it to how much it would pop out

2 Likes

That’s what PBR is though, it makes flat objects look 3D. Also can’t you just get a MeshPart and put SurfaceAppearence or a Texture over it? Sorry if I sound stupid, I don’t know much about building.

1 Like

Unreal engine can do 3D pbr with actual mesh looking stuff popping out without editing the mesh i think it would be amazing if roblox did the same

4 Likes

I could be wrong though that definitely is what pbr is but they can imrpove it instead of having it like an illusion yk? it can be a slider for how much it can pop out possibly

1 Like

What you’re talking about is called Parallax Occlusion Mapping, or Tessellation. It’s relatively expensive to render especially at a large scale.

3 Likes

Exactly, if roblox made this possible that would be insane

1 Like

On mobile you wouldn’t be able to play on older devices because of lag, thats one of the annoying considerations roblox has to go through

1 Like