New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

It’s good to see roblox listened to the community with a good solution for the materials by just doing custom materials.

7 Likes

That’s not what “on the backburner” means. This is still coming, just as a separate update from custom materials. They otherwise would have closed this thread as they have the other two or three on new materials.

4 Likes

I think if they ever were to push out the materials update, they should do it like how layered clothing is separated from classic clothing.

Just keep the original materials separate from the new ones by labeling them as “classic insert material here” or something like that. That way, we can have the best of both worlds and let people decide with one(s) work best for them.

14 Likes

To be fair, you can just go into your roblox textures folder and find all current materials on there and then reupload them later. I used this method on the new beta and reuploaded the old/current/pre 2022 material update grass texture so I could use it with leaves for my trees

4 Likes

Because cool that is a part we are thinking about is that to be built so from the first is it out should be like good

5 Likes

That’s a bigger task than you might think. I’ve heard that the roblox textures are using a special file format and that you have to convert the normals.

3 Likes

nope, they’re all images. the images are in the .dds image format which can easily be converted to .png by using pretty much any image editor (i used paint.net for this) by opening them and saving as .png

2 Likes

All the normal maps (atleast to my knowledge) are in this orange format. I’m not sure if there is an easy way to convert them. (Unless the way you said works)

3 Likes

yeah, they are orange… but they still work, lol. just convert the .dds to a .png and import it as a variant of (insert original material here) and import the converted images and boom

3 Likes

Look this tutorial

6 Likes

yes one of the few.
Roblox doesn’t listen to his community, as you can see only a small percentage of the developer love this update.

3 Likes

read the replies to this post

4 Likes

This is honestly one of the best updates launched in a while. I don’t get why you think this is a bad thing. If you like the old materials, just… keep them? Or if you like both the new ones and the old ones, do what I’m doing and convert all current material textures to MaterialVariants and boom, you have the new materials + the old ones as MaterialVariants.

8 Likes

I absolutely love Custom Materials; it’s been a game changer! My only wish is that Material Variant comes to Terrain as well, I hate that I have to use material overrides in order to get my custom materials to work, this also limits how many custom materials I can use with terrain,

My game has so many different themes that this is a huge limiting factor.

8 Likes

Updates are good. This is a new addition. It also does not leave the old system. It’s a good thing, right?
roblox has evolved a lot, i expect to see more like this in the future. Can’t wait

5 Likes

You can use them on terrain; to do this just change the default material variant for the material of the terrain you’re using in MaterialSerivice to a MaterialVariant you alr have,

As you can see I changed a few materials to use their old textures, so now if I began used, for example, the grass terrain, which I also modified to use it’s classic textures, it will use the texture I set instead of the new one.

5 Likes

I think he means creating new Terrain variants, not overrides.

6 Likes

The custom materials have been great and a really good addition, however I’ve still been waiting on the Enhanced Terrain Vegetation mentioned in 2020. Is there any news on it or has it been deferred for the foreseeable future?

12 Likes

Is this topic still live? Is there going to be an expansion of part materials or it was completely changed for MaterialService and its current usability?

2 Likes

Ok, so I’ve been waiting for about 2 years to reply to this. I don’t know why Roblox took so long to let me reply to stuff, but anyways. All diamond plate is not reflective like that. There are lots of diamond plates that don’t reflect at all. Some do reflect like that, but not all. And I don’t think it’s that common for it to be that reflective anyway. I think Roblox did an excellent job with the diamond plate texture. The only problem is that it looks cartoony when nothing is lighting it up or if it is lit up using a lighting setting like shadowmap or anything besides future lighting.

3 Likes