New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

Disappointing, but not surprising. Would old materials ever be released so we can use them behind Texture / SurfaceAppearance?

20 Likes

You really can’t. You have a month before they roll this out.

10 Likes

I actually really like your map better with the newer textures!

12 Likes

Concrete would work acceptably well for the board because it looks like cork. It’s expected that you might have to change some materials.

@Dogcraft_01 Your game looks perfectly fine to me. Better even? :slight_smile:

16 Likes

You were warned by the community not to try and push this without a compatibility mode, or some way to use the old materials. It is going to destroy countless old games with their previous aesthetic and absolutely ruin them beyond recognition. HUNDREDS of talented developers took your survey to provide you with the feedback YOU requested, yet it was clearly ignored despite the obvious night and day difference between the people who wanted them kept and the people who wanted them replaced.

This is going to ruin how sand looks for clothing, how brick looked on older games, how literally everything everyone has worked on for over the past 10 years has looked.

I am convinced because of this update, there are going to be a fair few developers, potentially myself included, quitting development until this is changed. It irreversibly ruins the atmosphere and design of games which can no longer be updated.

Without a shadow of a doubt, all of the backlash from this update will be the fault of the people at HQ choosing not to listen to their community. I’m not trying to be aggressive, here, but you reap what you sow.

Edit:

No. You cannot “modify your content to maintain your desired aesthetic”. You have literally ruined the opportunity TO MAINTAIN that aesthetic in its entirety. I have gone through the preview builds and attempted to do this, there is no “alternative solution” here. None of the materials improve any of my builds, and there are no other materials that will fill the same role adequately. I am literally forced to wait for custom materials now, or convert every single build I have ever created into meshparts, then reimport the entirety of the original material library, and add them as surfaceappearances.

Even then, importing everything as a meshpart would break a good chunk of scripts I utilize. This is nothing more than a kick in the teeth.

102 Likes

Unfortunately you also get scenarios like this:

before

after

20 Likes

as great as it is to get high quality materials, some of these feel like they still need some tweeking.

for example in the new sand texture there is way too much variation in “height”
as well as this, where the texture repeats has become extremely noticeable.

New Sand and Ice:

Old Sand and Ice:

notice how the old textures are much more subtle and less in your face about what the texture is. I understand that many builds and styles will benefit from this change, i think these textures need some more time to be finalised, mostly to fix the repeating texture problem.

74 Likes

The problem is that it’s not my intention to make it look like cork. I love it the way it is because currently the sand is the superior material and fits for a variety of assets: leather assets, cloth assets, hair, food with some grain on it and etc. I don’t want cork instead of what I currently have as it pushes my assets further away from what it is meant to be.

7 Likes

This doesn’t look very different. Is this image old? I think some changes were made to improve albedo appearance in low-light or indoor conditions (i.e. the concrete grain).

6 Likes

No, it’s the new version I believe, since I did grab the link from the github linked in this one. The problem is we were going for an industrial-sort of like look. Now it just looks like someone sand-papered it all.

8 Likes

Then use a texture of the old material. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Praying there will be or is a plugin for this

16 Likes

There were changes made to sand to improve its look in low light, it looks like similar changes need to be done for concrete as well then.

7 Likes

Hooray! The baked-in color will be removed and we’ll have decent color control!

7 Likes

im confused with something about this update (or maybe im probably not reading much on what the update is about)
what will parts with the old materials look like when the new materials come out soon

will the old materials still be shown on the part until a person changes it or will it automatically change into a new material thats similar to an older one

like for example, if i used wood planks on a part, when the update comes it’ll automatically change to the new version of wood planks

btw ill miss the old materials since ive gotten used to those

i had to make this reply again since my other one didnt do so well

6 Likes

I’m glad to see that new materials are being designed with studs in mind.

If you’re adding new textures, consider adding an actual stud texture—I use it a lot to match the classic-ish aesthetic of my game and it’d be nice to not have to use legacy surfaces to obtain the effect.

16 Likes

Is the materials going to be forced on everyone? Please answer us.

14 Likes
9 Likes

nobody asked for you to replace them… nobody wants it either

38 Likes

There isn’t a clear source of getting the old textures, you can’t download them freely. Yet.

7 Likes