New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

The new textures are an issue but the way they are toned is something we can work with…

Didn’t everyone rant about it though? :sweat_smile:

And the fact that textures and texture disappear if its on top of another texture or decal, if you look at it from a certain view.

No you’re getting yourself in a hissy fit over the change without attempting to compromise first. If the color of the map is too dark you can make the lighting brighter to fix that. You can’t fix the texture of the material however.

Its an obvious trend that roblox selectively choses themselves what they want to do. They rarely listen to people who disagree. They go with something as long as a few people agree with their decision.

Dude, check what I replied to before you say that. I’m not talking about Roblox’s material mess. The guy was presenting a possible alternative.

I’d like to point you to the roblox tools team who have worked hard on community engagement, actively listening to the community when issues arise.
What’s the bet you were one of the people that got angry because the way tools looked changed.

1 Like

The problem is the texture. Not the color.

1 Like

This new material update is not only ill-conceived, but just generally badly designed. The styles of some materials contrast enormously. Some textures appear intentionally stylized, while others are intended to be realistic. Before the update, Roblox’s textures were neutral enough to be used with any style. The following images are credited to FracturedOreo, who posted his own creations with old and changed textures. This is old versus new slate

The old slate was realistic, but maintained the distinctive Roblox style. The new slate appears compressed, blurry, and unnecessarily simplified. This is the case with most of the new textures. The new textures arguably only work with low-poly creations, and even then they are insufficient. Even with traditionally bad Roblox textures, such as rust, the new edition is worse. The new rust appears far too red and muddy.

I’m not naive enough to think that Roblox corporate would ever ask players for feedback on every texture, but I just think that the lack of input on this is terrible given the enormous importance of it. Everyone uses materials, they’re a cornerstone of the game’s building mechanic. Users should be given some opportunity for feedback on this crucial aspect of the game.

14 Likes

Right. Is that why there are issues that continue to persist for years? That roblox hasn’t even thought into looking at?

Mind providing examples of said issues.

1 Like

My opinion on all of this-

This update is just unnecessary.
Why do we need new materials? What makes these better than the old ones?
The new materials, as has been shown by many more posts, ruin games.
And they can’t give us the old materials, because they want mobile to be able to download the new materials faster? You’re really sacrificing the look and style of every single game on the platform because mobile has to download a minute faster?
Can you imagine how many people are going to quit Roblox entirely after this update comes out? Just about everyone here I’ve seen has hated this update.

And yes, people can update their games. They can swap their materials around, even if it takes hours, if not days. It shouldn’t be happening in the first place, but from what it seems like, that’s what’s about to happen. That’s a big problem, but there’s another big problem.
Old games.

How is a game that hasn’t gotten updates in years going to be able to get all the materials fixed when it doesn’t get updates? Old, genuinely fun games, being visually destroyed because Roblox apparently “needs” to appeal to investors more.

This feels like an EA situation.

7 Likes

yes, and adding materials that aren’t extremely out of date isn’t an example of a company making a decision at the behest of shareholders. it literally had to be done, the old materials weren’t made with PBR in mind and generally were just not consistent

2 Likes

That much isn’t even sure for the cases where we get original with a material’s use. For instance (and to quote a previous example), what do you do if you were using pebble material for cheese?

You’re just screwed, because those new materials only work for what they’re named after, and hardly anything else.

2 Likes

Here is one that comes quickly to the top of my mind.

Making a feasible solution to .touched event, so it doesn’t fire Repeatedly: .Touched and .TouchedEnded events every time you walk on it, instead of knowing that they went on it one time. You have to go through the mental gymnasicts of using other complex solutions.

My honest mistake. I have re-read and agree too,

1 Like

The problem isn’t that the new materials exist. The problem is that the old ones are being removed entirely. Sure, these new materials fit with the new “modern” styling that Roblox seems to be going for now (that’s a whole other problem), the problem is that they’re deleting every trace of what they don’t want their platform’s games to look like.

2 Likes

It has a solution, you can just have only one touchable part in the character. One part, one signal. Used it, it works wonders if you do it right.

I’m pretty sure that’s not the slate material in the second picture. It’s probably the snow material that was substituted in as a replacement for slate. The new slate is very, very, smooth.

I didn’t even think of how unique uses of materials wouldn’t be able to be easily replaced, but being fair, small, limited amounts of objects like a block of cheese could use textures, but something like a stylized house couldn’t.