New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

For a start it’s a minor issue and secondly there aren’t very many use cases for .touched that can’t be done with other more practical methods. The only time I used .touched is when I’m feeling lazy and for basic testing.
The majority of skilled developers don’t use .touched widely enough to actually fix a minor bug that is rooted deep within roblox’s physics solver.

Unlike materials which is used everywhere, however their solution to the issue of roblox’s limited material selection was broken from the core.

My point again. Why do i have to use workarounds for something that could of been avoided in the first place?

The touched event when a player walks on it normally without any work around, should only fire once when a user touches it, not fire every time a player walks on it because of their legs going on and off. They could of easily used magnitude in the event to see if the player is truly off the part.

True, this solution exists, but that kinda practice isn’t rare at all, I have several instances on my own game. I’m lucky enough to have someone skilled enough to learn how to make custom textures, which is harder than it sounds, but many people out there aren’t.

2 Likes

It’s built into roblox’s physics engine all the way at the core, it’s genuinely not worth fixing since it’s such a minor issue.

Say you’re a beginner trying to learn roblox’s api and, lets say you want a gui to pop up when a player steps on a part, and delete once they are off of it. Them having limited knowledge will try this touched event, and the gui will spam multiple times and cause memory issues because it fires every time you walk on the part.

Yes. You can use a Boolean statement, to see if the gui exists in the “PlayerGui” and add a new one, or delete it accordingly, depending on which event fires. But the issue is, the “TouchEnded” and “Touched” event fires each time you walk on it. So it will end up spamming multiple gui’s and functions causing memory issues. And the new scripter having limited knowledge, probably wont know the first place to look for a work around.

The old materials are being removed because keeping them would introduce a lot of complexity for Roblox in the future.

Consider:

• New materials being added to the new set, with no corresponding material in the legacy set. What happens if you toggle into the legacy material set mode?
  • Previews of objects for the Toolbox or an upcoming asset marketplace need to show one material set or another
  • Including the legacy materials will double the filesize taken up by textures when downloading Roblox

etc. With the introduction of custom materials, you’ll be able to bring back the legacy ones if you are so inclined. But in the present, it makes sense for Roblox to move forward with their new set.

1 Like

this is an improvement

3 Likes

what does this conversation have to do with the topic??

Not in the slightest. The white specks immediately invalidate it, and if you didn’t see upon scrolling down, they’re even worse because of the “waves” the new sand has.

2 Likes

It was due to this issue that I learnt and became more profession using different methods inplace of .touched. In specific I learnt how to use arrays to stop this bug.

1 Like

Have you seen the amount of people who disagree with this, vs the people who do? It might be an improvement if you don’t depend on the old materials, or not going for a specific style like you i suppose.

The new materials are a massive improvement.

The problem is that you are using a sand material to texture cloth. Yes, that just happened to work with the previous material set. There should be no expectation that a sand material that looks like sand will also look like cloth, though. For characters, you should probably be using SurfaceAppearance anyway.

1 Like

Some of the materials are great overall, However, They’re not really that good for multi-use.
They’re seemingly only meant for their original purpose, Aside from the “Old” ones that can be used for a multitude of things, An example is how sand can be clothing, Sand could also represent hair on a character too.

Then there’s the matter of how smooth the textures are, Some of them (Like slate) just get rid of the roughness as they had before. Slate looked fine before, It was rough and not smooth.

Keeping the old materials would be cool if possible, But as they stated, They’re not doing that.

1 Like

So you’re telling us to make a mesh for a single block, thus increasing a games loading time.

CSG models don’t support SurfaceAppearance. There are no good “cloth” materials in the new material lineup.

It should not be our responsibility to fix what Roblox broke.

2 Likes

The entire character would be one mesh, using one texture set. Roblox supports bone rigging.

People are intentionally misusing textures then complaining when it is changed to look more like the thing it describes. Absolutely shocking; didn’t see that one coming.

6 Likes

Concrete looks terrible in shadows (used on the sidewalk):

Same with slate:

Why is the tiling so insanely noticeable? This was an issue during beta and I expected this to be fixed by now.

Also why does asphalt only look good when your camera is 1 inch away from it? It begins to look like plastic once your camera gets up to a normal distance (as seen on the roads in my previous two screenshots).

8 Likes

Crazy concept here:

Roblox doesn’t actually use mesh deformation characters for their characters except for Rthro, occasionally. R6 models consist of 6 parts, so nobody’s going to want to make a bone rig for an R6 model.

Because they were versatile. Roblox has removed all versatility from the new materials in an effort to strive for realism, and have messed up about 99% of the platform’s games as a result…

2 Likes

That’s beyond the point of reasonable. No one’s going to learn how to use blender to do something they could of already done in roblox studio in the past. No one in their right mind would make a mesh for something that can already be done more easily and quickly with parts.

3 Likes