New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

the thing that pisses me off the most about the updates posted on here constantly are the amount of copers that are constantly being yes-men to roblox and giving them the impression that “hey if SOME people like it then we should just push it out!!”

it’s these same people that pushed out other stupid stuff like rthro (which nobody really uses unless they don’t know how to change their avatars or they’re making a meme avatar) and the stuff in the past like that one time they tried to make you pay for the oof sound or something along those lines.

yes i get it, some people aren’t affected by the changes but don’t just go damage control on their behalf and try to convince others to stomach the changes just like they’ve stomached every other crap update roblox may throw at us.

tldr: copers stop coping, this update is terrible if there’s no backwards compatibility

6 Likes

Can we just take a moment to admire how the new grass texture looks like wet hair.

I agree with you completely, I honestly hope that this becomes a feature that you can choose to enable/disable instead of forcing it upon every game. My builds really depend on wood textures and other textures for the way they look, not for what they’re supposed to be.

For example, using the sand texture can be used as a wavy, even fabric-like texture. Sometimes I don’t use it for sandy objects because it is sand. This won’t happen anymore with the new textures.

With this update, I’m going to be forced to use materials for what they are, and not for what they look like

3 Likes

Sure, I get your argument that people might not know how to use 3D software. But making characters into meshes does make sense; it becomes a single draw call.

1 Like

Versatility > Realism any day of the week, the old roblox textures were extremely versatile the new ones don’t even have the same propitiates of the old one.

2 Likes

Great! I feel this would make a new stream of developers studying the roblox terrain and developing and experimenting them !

1 Like

YES. THANK YOU.

I’m so tired of these people giving Roblox no crap for the updates they put out. I’ve literally only ever seen Rthro used ironically by people, and that’s not even a joke. So many developers turn it off too, it’s practically useless and ONLY used by trolls.

If Roblox keeps getting all this positive re-enforcement from people, they’re just going to ignore backlash. The people saying this should be pushed are basically saying “I only care about that which impacts me”.

3 Likes

This will be the New Update for New Terrain and Parts. Glad we’re going to have new stuff in Roblox :slight_smile: I’m glad

Meshes will always incress a games loading time and are generally less worse then parts
If a game dev wants to go the extra mile to use meshs and get that extra fancy look good on them but not every dev needs to be able to use other development programs along side roblox.

So… you’re mad that roblox has decided to make sand look like… sand?

7 Likes

it’s not coping, the new materials are genuinely great.

This is another thing that I’m not happy at all with about this update! Most of the textures look absolutely horrendous from a distance! From over 10 studs, 90% of the textures completely lose their detail and look like a solid colour part with some strange spots and blemishes here and there.

These new textures will completely ruin large-scale maps if they proceed to be like this.

3 Likes

I have a solution. I’ll spell it out. “custom materials”.

Some people misuse materials because it matches the style of the object they had in mind, not because it actually “looks” like the material name they chose. Example is using sand to simulate a snow material, or ice for transparent windows

So an optimal solution would be custom materials or if its that is too much to ask, just giving the option to chose the new materials or the current ones would suffice.

I see where you’re coming from though.

This is just the effect of how Roblox handles texture filtering, I think. (the asphalt)

Roblox should just make both sets of textures available without updating any of the roblox places

2 Likes

The new materials are indeed pretty however they are flawed in that they don’t for fill the same roles that the old textures did. The old textures were versatile and each had their own set of core proprieties. The new update removes the core proprieties of each material and replaces it, lowering how versatile each texture is and making them look similar.
This is the core reason why devs are angry, they can’t be used in the same ways meaning devs have to spend hours reworking builds. also the lack of diversity within the texture proves an issue as it’s impossible to get a similar look, such as the veins through granite.

3 Likes

It’s only like that in this release build of studio though, not in regular studio, or live games.

Incorrect. I am upset because the versatility of the old texture is gone with no good-looking alternatives. There is no good cloth/fabric/jacket material now and so everything that used the old sand for it is now ruined. I am fine with the new materials and a compromise if they look good or have some semblance of parity with the old ones, or if there is a REASONABLE alternative to them.

The problem here stems that a lot of multi-use materials are now strictly one thing and one thing only. Grass no longer looks good for trees, sand cannot be used as a kind of fabric or “cloud” material. Brick looks flat and boring and painfully problematic. The granite and marble materials are now far darker than before and mess up the look of things like kitchens in some builds.

I see where you’re coming from, and I understand your viewpoint, but without an alternative, developers can’t properly “fix” their creations to work with these new materials. I went through every material in the new build and cannot find anything good enough for the jacket in the aforementioned photo. The closest I can get is Plastic, and even that looks bad.

Plus, keep in mind, none of the older games whose developers have left Roblox can be properly preserved now. Those developers are not going to come back to change every material in their game and then promptly leave forever again.

12 Likes

The problem is that Roblox removed almost all versitility. The new sand can be sand, and that’s it. The old sand could be sand, clothing, snow, and so much more. The old textures looked enough like the thing they were supposed to be to work for those things, and different enough to work for a bunch of other things. These new materials can be used for what they’re named after, and that’s it.

3 Likes

I agree; and wouldn’t be surprised if they’re working on it already. Textures already exist on parts for this (though have some issues with layering), and custom mesh parts can be UV mapped and textured.

The issue mainly lies with the fact that textures are pre-loaded onto the system. They’re already saved locally once roblox is installed; which is why performance is a huge part of this change.

4 Likes

Yeah, custom materials do mean they will need to be downloaded when playing a game, increasing load time. However, custom materials being used like current Roblox materials, i.e. tiled materials used on many different objects, means that it won’t really be that much to download - apparently the current Roblox part materials all together are around 40MB, so if somebody even just added the old Sand and Slate or whatever, it shouldn’t be much of an issue

1 Like