New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

Now if only we were able to convert the normal maps to standard purple ones it would be all fine.

I have been trying this, but we have had little success. Using the brown normal maps in a SurfaceAppearance does however cause the normals to invert, so lumps become holes and vice versa.

Also, read above. Here you go. Maybe materialize can help?

2 Likes

It is. The new textures are great, just that people need to adapt their builds to it slightly.

As another user said earlier, people need to press Alt+S and use graphics 21 to achieve the full effect, then adjust the lighting accordingly. Then, the new materials will look good.

2 Likes

I have. Nothing is a good replacement for the old sand, brick, or grass.

4 Likes

They don’t have to, and they could just retain the old ones on other platforms that are not mobile specifically.

2 Likes

Because it’s metal?
Metal == metal. I get it though, because I needed to add a SurfaceAppearance to adjust the escalator steps to still allow them to glow.

NEW metal is dark:

Intended effect (old):

New grass still fits decently well. However, I do agree that nothing will ever replace the old grass, except a PBR texture.

2 Likes

Do not forget sand. That has been the second or even first most requested one I’ve seen here.

I know I’m probably the guy who’s been the most against pushing this out in the current state of anybody here, but the fact that you’re listening to the feedback and relaying it really means a lot to me and I’m sure it does to a lot of other people as well. Thank you.

2 Likes

Remind me who gave you, or Roblox, the right to tell people that their builds suck because they relied upon standard functionality? You wouldn’t be saying this if you were one of the people who is being negatively impacted by this change. Please try to be considerate of others.

I like the new textures, but i do think some of them feel like more of a down grade from the old ones… Also removing the old ones is not a great idea at all, sure yeah, roblox needs to be modernized but keeping the old ones in some kind of “Legacy” textures folder won’t really hurt anyone.

1 Like

You can just make a texture with only roughness, export it, put a surface apparence in a invisible cube and you are done. Its hard to explain the whole process here

1 Like

You don’t need FIB3 actually, all you need is the Environment Specular and Diffuse properties. Set them both to 1 and you’re done.

Oh yea the increase in download speed may be lower on mobile devices, as the textures there are apparently half the resolution of PC textures, tho this is so far mostly for the old ones, not sure about the new ones.

1 Like

I agree. It’s a bit disappointing to see Roblox sympathize with such people in my opinion.
To provide a comparison, imagine that there was one child in your class kicking tables over, causing a ruckus etc. and the whole class gets detention. That’s not very fair, is it?

Unity across the Roblox platform is important, either we should have all old or all new or all both. We can’t have players seeing old slate on mobile and new slate on PC. In an ideal world though, I agree that with tweaks to human behaviour we could keep all textures.

It sucks. @AerialsAbove has already noticed the change in grass destroying plants. In all fairness, asimo has said that using grass for leaves isn’t very realistic.

However, maybe this is a use of new grass! Test it being beige, maybe we can finally make a realistic chipboard in Roblox.

Also, use Graphics 21 when taking screenshots. Alt+S →Rendering→Edit Quality Level.

2 Likes

I obviously don’t consider myself a fantastic builder, but I was still being fully objective in what I said. Take a look at some of the examples provided in this thread, and see for yourself. Some builds really don’t look that great; the people behind them blame it on the new textures, while in reality, the implementation of the material is just totally wrong, which makes the builds’ flaws stand out more.

1 Like

It used to in new materials build v1, but it’s fine now. Concrete actually looks like concrete now. After a few days you’ll get used to it.

There is no “wrong” implementation of a material. The old materials served a wide variety of purposes, and regardless, it’s the creator’s decision what they use or think looks good for their build. The entire point of the feedback is that the look of a game should be determined by the developer, not Roblox or a third party.

5 Likes

I can not disagree with this more, literally makes no sense.

My point here is that you have an opinion about it, but you aren’t the creator of the game. If someone wants to use grass to represent leaves on a tree, it makes sense. There’s no other good materials for it in the library. A developer knows what looks best for their game because it’s their vision. A multitude of old materials worked good for a variety of purposes. These new ones only look good as what they are meant to be.

3 Likes

Also these new textures feel quite linear if you know what i mean…

It’s the right of the developer who makes a g-- experience on here to determine how their game looks - there is simply no “wrong” implementation of a material, despite what your personal opinion of their game is. Developers will develop how they see fit, and this is a kick in the teeth to those who creatively use the current material set.

2 Likes