New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

Awesome, apparently I can’t reply correctly today. Regardless, that method doesn’t work for everybody, especially not me.

:sweat_smile: Looks like I went a little overboard on that one, my apologies, edited the message!

Here is what you are precisely talking about.

Source:

5 Likes

These materials will be great to have as an addition, but it concerns me that you will be completely removing the old ones, why not have it so that the developers can still utilize the old textures? a lot of games have been built AROUND the textures and now you’re going to just change it all without their say-so? kinda concerns me that there is, for some reason, no way to just allow both old and new textures so satisfy the needs of all players?

1 Like

Are you kidding? You are almost there. With just a little color change and such, you’ll make it look really good. IMO right now it looks great!

1 Like

Looking at the current state of the discussion basically having one side calling the other lazy for not wanting to go through their entire game to adapt everything when they would technically be able to, I’d like to point something out that feels like the elephant in the room to me.

It’s not just about whether we CAN, it’s also about we SHOULD be having to go through extra work for what isn’t to us any improvement, it’s merely trying to at least preserve the current standard and style we have.

It’s like saying it’s fair game to have an employer throw a massive project at you which was never stated in the contract without any extra pay, and if the employee doesn’t do the extra work his pay gets cut in half, because “he’s just lazy if he doesn’t like working more”.

To a lot of people here, it’s extra work that never was necessary in the first place and should not be, and isn’t for them rewarded with any extra value, or not enough to justify the workload.

2 Likes

They aren’t keeping it for obvious reasons, It’s like saying hey why aren’t the 2013 textures still aren’t on the platform? Same reason as to why these new materials are replacing old ones, if you did read the post, if not, they did address that they will add many more materials constantly, first they need a smooth transition.

Nothing here is a beneficial change, it’s creating work for developers and taking away something the majority liked for something a current minority likes.

Roblox is technically being lazy, that or cheap. It would not take them very long to make the old materials usable in the new system.

The problem lies in that Roblox’s excuse for not doing so is very much a premeditated excuse to try and blow off the criticism. The download times on mobile, judging by the average mobile user’s specs, would hardly be an increase. The current materials only take up about 40 or so MB from what I’m seeing. That’s not even a tenth of a gigabyte, and most people on mobile have internet fast enough to get that quickly. Even then, most developers have expressed that they would prefer a longer loading time in exchange for being able to mix/match these new materials with the old ones.

If Roblox allowed these side by side, nobody would be complaining at all and everyone would gain new materials as a result, and that’d be a good thing for pretty much everyone, which is what we’re trying to convince them of by protesting the update. OP mentioned that he is relaying these complaints to the people in charge, so there is a chance we can all walk out of this happy.

2 Likes

The problem is how much I would have to do to get it right, quite frankly, I don’t feel like recoloring and changing materials for a map that has a surface area of 49,000 studs on top of doing the same thing for all of my trains. It’s very overwhelming, especially since I’ve come so far already.

Fully agree with this - it’s insulting to be called “lazy” for refusing to fix something visually that wasn’t previously broken until some executives deep inside Roblox Corporation thought it would be a nice idea to screw over developers again.

1 Like

I understand your frustrations, I went through it too. Trust me you will be so happy with the final results, I was overwhelmed too until I reached the final result. I was extremely happy then!

I have, in fact, I AM an avid user of it!

I made this with new materials and PBR floors, and some would say it’s my best build ever.

Not gonna lie, I get that the download time excuse is not as true as they say. Although when textures changed in 2014 was it, I don’t quite remember. Same thing happened kinda, new materials replaced old materials. That time the platform and the DevForum was locked to many talented developers who were unknown out there. So I get the part of “they had no saying in this”. Now that they do, I get it. I wouldn’t call them lazy nor cheap tho, they gave us all the fantastic good looking materials, I wouldn’t call that lazy nor chip.

I understand your frustration tho, I get it. I’m hearing all of you. I get everything you say, giving a try and studying them won’t hurt. You’ll be happy with the final results.

This looks beautiful! It’s just for some games with shadowmap or classic styled games, will loose it’s classicality. But what you did, you modified your game to fit with the style! It looks really good when people use it this way. I just hate the fact that they force it all upon us, alot of old games will loose it’s style. But yeah good job roblox! Just wish we had an option.

The amount of stuff I would have to change here is ridiculous, seen below is just the train collection. Please keep in mind that there are empty spaces because they are reserved for new sets.

1 Like

Awesome, that’s the spirit! :slightly_smiling_face::fire:

We shouldn’t have to go through our games to fix something Roblox broke unless there is significant benefit for them doing such (i.e. FilteringEnabled)

I understand your frustration and thank you for your complement, worked for a good 2 weeks to reach the final product, I will never forget how annoying it was to change it all up. At one point all the glass materials were plain!! I had 100’s of lanterns in the game!!.. pain. True pain.

I wish they had that option too, I’ll miss some of the old materials, but that’s just how they want to keep the platform, so I understand. This although isn’t good news for old games, because some developers quit Roblox and now that this is coming out, their game might look a bit funky! :grimacing:

2 Likes

Like I said… we tried, and it’s not that I don’t want to believe the outcome will be nicer at the end, but I mean…

Do I even really need to say anything more? I’ve tried every material in the catalog of the new build, and there’s no good alternatives for sand. But here, the old sand looks undeniably better in every regard. What am I supposed to do to fix my builds now? Am I just supposed to throw out 6 years of work? (I did not spend 6 years on this model, but I have spent 6 years making hundreds of models and places.)

3 Likes

You got this, I’m rooting for you! It’ll look really good once It’s done, trust the process, I’ve experienced it!