New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

It’s not that people can’t deal with it, it’s that it’s gonna impact so many, I mean SO MANY GAMES. Legit, people will have to change like around 1000 parts, even more. You must know nothing about this because someone who read only a few posts would be at your level of knowledge.

Not even having the read posts to know that it isn’t the community not wanting to adapt to this update. It’s that it’ll ruin alot of games, and take alot of effort to re-do them.

10 Likes
>
>
>
>

Im speechless.

I am once again, going to point out that roblox makes updates for the community, and if the community is PO’d at it, then they probably should put it on delay to please the community.

Who do you think roblox is making updates for?

3 Likes
  1. Textures don’t have specular, diffuse or reflection maps. Not a viable alternative.
  2. SurfaceAppearance also cannot be used here as it doesn’t tile and is limited to MeshParts
  3. We don’t have the original normal maps, only the inverted/compressed orange ones.
7 Likes

Overlap the texture onto a part with the same material if you want the same specular, diffuse, and reflection maps.

1 Like

The new materials do not have the same specular and diffuse maps. This wouldn’t work very well, and you’d have to put a lot of work into it.

3 Likes

Definitely wouldn’t take a lot of work it would be the same amount of work as looping through descendants of game and matching a texture to their material because you would just leave the original material untouched.

1 Like

How about this part? Also, putting a normal, diffuse, or specular map texture on a part would do nothing. You would need to use SurfaceAppearance, which can only be used on meshparts.

3 Likes

True but it should be close enough that any differences are very minor

1 Like

Since these materials and parts built-in materials is so realistic, do we need to upgrade our GPU?

1 Like

Scrap the new materials altogether. Why, The GPU is gonna fry

1 Like

Not really the already existing materials is gonna be just the same… plus if it cant handle it just use low graphics :skull:

2 Likes

ok then, only pc with a more powerful gpu will be able to see the new materials

1 Like

It uses the same tech, same resolution, takes bassicly the same amount of memory as the old ones. It wont have any performance impact.

5 Likes

Whilst I was (and still am) one of the people in favour of entirely scrapping the update if no alternative solution could be found, what I think many people fail to realise is we’ve had the PBR rendering engine on Roblox for over a year, and all the current materials are currently rendered under it.

The new ones would have been rendered under exactly the same physically based rendering engine, therefore there would have been no negative impact to performance.

6 Likes

Someone found a way to get the blue maps back from the orange versions.

1 Like

Hiya, I know this may seem a bit far fetched, but have there been any updates in terms of what is going to happen? This is still a severely impactful update, and knowing what measures we should take is of paramount importance to many studios.

6 Likes

Uuhhhh so disappointed to see this being left to die :disappointed_relieved:

This was one of Roblox’s greatest updates and I do understand that at first people may have been ‘put off’ by the change (I was too :open_mouth:), but after playing around with them for some time I grew to love these materials and realised how good of an update this is. :sparkles:

Roblox has to improve. To stay up to trends :chart_with_upwards_trend: and to what users are looking for in everyday gaming and having materials which look gorgeous to the eye and have more room to expand upon is perfect. :ok_hand:

I understand the frustration :rage: which I felt to begin with. I was angry and put off by the change - I felt like Roblox was making an unnecessary and uncalled for change.

Then, I actually gave them a go, I started to transfer my game to the new materials, and little by little a grew to love them more and more :heart:. I think developers should try these and adjust as in reality I’m sure most people think these new materials look better than the old 2015 ones we have today.

I have my fingers crossed for these to come soon, so Roblox can evolve and enter a new era :crossed_fingers:

:mushroom: Harry

11 Likes

The reason people campaigned against the update was NOT because the materials are bad. It was because the plan was to force them without any consideration for the development of people’s games over many, many years.

The outcome was a change in the strategy - I appreciate it may take longer to release because of this (I want to use the new wood materials, but with old everything else) however, the outcome could be better, because we will hopefully be given more flexibility (i.e. old and new together, rather than one or the other).

The other point in your post that the update was necessary isn’t necessarily true in itself. Prior to the announcement in December, as a regular reader of the forum, I didn’t see anyone asking for new materials to come and be forced on everyone’s games.

Individual development liberties have to be respected too - no other platform of this size would ever force such an update without offering any kind of alternative (SurfaceAppearance doesn’t tile, is mapped to a mesh’s UV, and is only usable on MeshParts - it is not a solution).

6 Likes

They need to find a way to use both

4 Likes

I feel that this should definitely be an option. Maps that devs have spent hours on will look different and not necessarily great anymore.

3 Likes