New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

Someone has informed me that they can actually tile when done with the correct UV Mapping.

1 Like

It’s not something many developers would find very easy to understand, and that doesn’t excuse the fact they don’t work on BaseParts and UnionOperations, nor does it excuse the fact they can’t be tiled.

I fail to see what the harm would be of giving SurfaceAppearance the properties that Texture has?

1 Like

I fully agree with you. I can’t think of a reason why then wouldn’t support tiling. I don’t know all the details, so there may be an actual reason why, but it doesn’t seem like anyone has gotten a response about it.

3 Likes

I just wanted to pop in with a reassurance for anyone is worried that the feature is dead: Don’t be.

I know that it’s disappointing to have to wait so long after seeing the awesome new visuals, but there are many engineers working to bring this feature back in a state that respects the community concerns which blocked the initially planned release.

26 Likes

I’m not talking about what builders want I’m talking about what the entire Roblox community wants, and what they want is new textures and they don’t want both materials old and new if it effects performance.

I mean your just wrong lmao, after all it’s the players that play our games. I understand your comment was more emotional then logical but seriously get ahold of the facts and the fact is that players don’t want longer loading times and lag.

I appreciate it but you guys should’ve
just released it as is and removed the old materials, these complainers would’ve gotten use to it by now.

Can I get a source for this one or…?

3 Likes

Please try to consider the thoughts of others over yourself - I can understand your frustration over wanting to use the new materials and you will be able to once Roblox has re-worked the update to address community concerns in a way that is NOT a forced roll-out.

7 Likes

Repeated polling of both the silent and vocal numbers of players, and developers reading this thread says otherwise, as do the number of likes that Sorcus’ post, announcing a halt to the forced release, had.

Many players will have seen this thread too as several Roblox YouTube content creators had raised the topic around the time of the announcement.

I’m also tired of repeating this - this will have no negative performance impact, other than a slightly increased download time during the weekly client update (something that wouldn’t happen at all if Roblox was more efficient and kept to one single folder, only overwriting the files that had actually been changed, rather than deleting and then redownloading absolutely everything. I’d make a feature request for this if TL1 was able).

The only slight performance impact would be on extremely low-end mobile devices that cannot run Roblox performantly in the first place, and shouldn’t have a bearing on decision making.

9 Likes

Thank you for the confirmation! An issue I notice is that the engineers seem to be working on the new solution as if it’s an end-all, and while obviously I do hope for the best in terms of what is being developed, I feel like we should have at least some prior insight into what it is, lest it turns into another situation where engineers do not ask for community insight & end up developing a feature that is just as detrimental as what was previously worked on for this very thread. Yet again I obviously still hope it solves it all, but for safety I still believe it should be known by the community beforehand.

7 Likes

Lag is entirely out of the question here, don’t know where you got that. All we’d be getting is longer download times, specifically for people with poor internet. But at the end of the day, most people have pretty decent internet and the actual increase to the filesize is smaller than expected.

I’d like to re-enforce what ittr said, think about the bigger picture here. You’re pushing for a complete change in materials after Roblox has made up their mind to allow both parties to have their preference.

6 Likes

Should I continue to use the texture beta studio located on the GitHub or will the current studio in the GitHub be obsolete by the time this project gets another announcement?

2 Likes

Additional part materials being introduced to bring part and terrain materials in line is very unlikely to change, so it should be safe to continue building stuff against the beta in that regard. If you’re worried about things looking exactly the same as the beta, yes there may be further tweaks to how things look given the additional time that the graphics engineers have had to work on them.

8 Likes

Do you have any idea when the current material beta will be fixed to allow people to join team create studios again?

3 Likes

There has been a recent problem regarding the beta. It’s impossible to join any Team Create places with it.

2 Likes

Thanks, my main concern was just regarding whether the current way the new textures are handled would be saved or not and if i could get away with using them to make builds look more appeasing once this is publicly released.

4 Likes

I found out that some LICs have pretty bad internet speed. Then again, you shouldn’t really be playing Roblox if your internet speed is 4Mbps.

I also have used slow VPNs and I know how sucky the weekly updates are.

Don’t keep your fingers crossed, Crazedbrick has 3X the stats of an average Regular and is not Regular.

They must have made post approval really hard to get.

1 Like

This is because the Beta is so far behind on updates that it’s not supported by current Roblox.

The Beta was on 479 iirc, wheras we’re onto 491 (492 tomorrow).

4 Likes

Hey this Release Build just crash now when I’m trying to open up the studio.

12 Likes