New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

Experiencing the same issue since the latest update.

6 Likes

Same. So to confirm if I try to open the Beta Studio release 1.5 i get the unexpected error. But I can still open standard Roblox Studio.

5 Likes

Same happens to me, It just crashes upon opening the client…

6 Likes

The roblox studio client for new textures seems to have broken with the newest update…

5 Likes

It’s just too old. Simple as that.

The new materials build is on 479 and we’re on 492.

1 Like

Do you know any programs (ideally online and/or free) allowing me to do this?

1 Like

Well its best to make sure they at least know that its broken.

1 Like

Your other option is to swap the textures by just swapping out the PlatformContent folder into studio v492, so you still get the new materials.

1 Like

I do not, sorry. I tried looking around for a little bit, but I couldn’t find anything in particular.

I also tried using shader nodes with blender to do the conversion, and I believe I got it to work, but I’m not a hardcore blender user and baking material outputs to a texture is pretty clunky so I couldn’t get it to do the last step. I’m sure someone who is familiar can get it to work though.

I wrote that math from the perspective of graphics programming, as I was personally using it in my own custom engine.

If you can find find some way to use GLSL to process an image and save the output, a simple shader to do the processing would look like:

#version 460
// NEVER FORGET THIS VERSION LINE, I SPENT AN HOUR BEFORE FIGURING OUT I MISSED IT LOL
// change this if the OpenGL version is earlier than what supports this

// input texture
uniform sampler2D inputTexture;

// input uv coordinates
in vec2 uv;

layout (location = 0) out vec4 fragColor;

void main()
{
	vec4 color = texture(inputTexture, uv);

float normalZ = length(2 * color.ag - vec2(1, 1)); // derive z from orange normal map

fragColor.rg = color.ag; // swizzle to extract the r and g channels
	fragColor.b = 0.5 * (normalZ + 1);
	fragColor.a = 1;
}
2 Likes

We have thousands of devs against this change. I’d hope at least one would know.

1 Like

It’s probably more to do with Roblox killing an API dependency, or FastFlag. I can still run a January 2020 studio if I fiddle with web responses and have a local FFlag setting list from that time configured into the software.

5 Likes

Replying to a fairly old post here, and I can confirm this is true. I have a random test place with lots of them loaded on different blocks where I was trying to mess with the property to achieve something similar to the Legacy lighting Plastic material, and it takes about 5 minutes to load, freezing until it has.

None of my other places (which, hilariously enough, do not use it) take anywhere near as long to load. I dare someone to tell me that waiting 5 minutes for a small baseplate with a considerably low part count to load is acceptable.

2 Likes

Theb there’s something terribly wrong with yoir pc, with my school computer that can barely run Microsoft edge can set an id in about 5 seconds.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s an issue with my PC, if many other users have experienced the same thing.

As I said before, no other place (that doesn’t contain any use of the object) takes anywhere near as long to load.

1 Like

I don’t know why but all of the previous textures that were rough or gritty are now soft or flat looking, while the previously soft materials look wet or frozen.

One of the few things I really like however is the woodbased materials. I know WoodReviewer is out there somewhere writing up a review, but so far I haven’t found a reason to not like it.

3 Likes

Yep. @M_caw was complaining about previously rough granite turning into gelatin.

WoodReviewerRBX likes the fixes to the new wood and woodplanks though. They are the largest winners of this updates by several magnitudes.

1 Like

Metal is metallic because it’s metal.

On a real note, whilst metal lost its more industrial use, it at least gained many more purposes with its reflectivity being akin to stainless steel.

Galvanized metal material when

4 Likes

The current metal is more applicable to general use though, whereas the proposed metal material looks like fresh metal. After it airs out for a couple of weeks or so and becomes scratched with general use, it does end up looking more like the current version of the material.

2 Likes

What are you two talking about, the studio with the new materials doesn’t even work.

2 Likes

2 Likes