New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES!

A full review of the new materials. +Builds I made with them.

The good.

Terrain coloration works wonders! All of them are now far far more color respective. This will certainly improve smooth terrain and I will definitely be using it far more from now on. (Except salt but salt’s always salt so what do you expect.)
Along with that the new concrete looks gorgeous, some parts of it are shiny however, as someone who has a concrete floor in my house, I could safely use this texture for it. HOWEVER due to this, concrete no longer works as drywall for houses.
The new granite looks great, however it’s lots its distinctive touch of those deep veins running through it. Marble also follows a similar issue, however it’s still usable for it’s job. Albee it it’s rough patches make it less reflective then it should be, after all marble is most commonly in houses for builds so it’s better to give it it’s polished look.
Ash-felt! This is certainly my favorite as road building has always gone of the ugly looking concrete, but now we finally have a good material for it! Albe it is FAR FAR FAR FAR too dark and MUST! be brightened, like many other materials here.

The bad.

The new materials have majors issues when it comes to color responsiveness however I assume that issue will be fixed. What I don’t think will be fixed and what most certainly needs to be fixed is the brightness of the materials. These must be changed so they all average out to be around the same color for stone grey. I’ve always had this issue while building.

Pebble sand (or concrete) combo! MAKE IT HAPPEN! This will certainly improve the enjoyment of building as mixing and matching materials is part of the fun.
Hairy metal, the new scratches in the metal look like hairs, the old texture was superior in making it look like it was dinted.
Corroded metal. It’s just bad…
Cobblestone just don’t look right like that.
Oh my, the repetition is as clear as day. This must be fixed as any large builds such as churches or walls will be ruined by this immersion breaking repetition.

Terrain slate’s bad material quality makes it unusable in builds. I’m sure that will be fixed however!

Each material should be versatile for more then one type of material. You don’t want things to say “I’m sand and only sand! Nothing else!” as this detracts from both the viewing and building process.

Diamond Plate DOWNGRADE.

Actual diamond plate
Very similar, has coloring issues. (the back is too dark)
Some plastic Lego knock off.

Usage in builds.

I found that there was really no good metal options, there are more then enough rock variants however when it comes to metal we certainly don’t have too many options. Also I’d of much rathered if I could use a different material for the footer. Sand functioned really well for the semi destroyed concrete.

Granite has a similar roughness to slate however has far less depth. Many materials seam to either have too much or too little depth.

TL;DR
Granite’s the new slate, black is the new white, ash-felt is a godsend, diamond plate is no longer good and corroded metal is now completely unusable for anything smaller then 8 studs.

Also I no longer have a good material to use as flesh which is a MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT as I LOVE my flesh growths.

5 Likes

I think was done to better capture the effect of grass taking over/asphalt deterioration. There should be an option in my opinion.

These materials look amazing, but there is 1 issue I’d like to bring up.
Right now, many of these textures are more or less limited in color. For example:

If I color a CrackedLava part cyan, it will appear that it’s colored black, while if it’s colored gray, it will appear to be colored red.
Right now, this seems to be only visible on parts with certain materials that were previously exclusive to terrain.

3 Likes

Not going to lie, I’m very glad that I held off on starting development on my Development Studio’s first project because these textures look absolutely amazing!

I may hold off on this project until this update gets smoothed out more because I feel that given some of the more recent responses, there are quite a few improvements to be made.

Keep up the amazing work though!

I really want the 1024 limit to be increased by 2-4 times

2 Likes

With respect to removing coloration from new materials, please consider this feature request!
There are several issues with both including color in the albedo, and removing it all, and I think this feature request would resolve all of them.

Also, while Roblox is working on this material overhaul, please also consider this feature request. It would dramatically increase the flexibility with these new materials and lift the burden off of Roblox with respect to nitpicking material intensity.

6 Likes

The ground texture kinda looks bad, please fix it, before it looked like stomped grass and now like mud or dirt, pls fix it or add more materials to fix the issue, some new textures are ok and some are bad, the worst one by far is definetly the Corroded Metal, it looks horrible now.

1 Like

You sure the worst one is Corroded Metal? It’s definitely slate. It’s way too big, too many cracks and it’s overall crappy.

2 Likes

Turns out, there was a LOT more materials I missed! Looks like I shouldn’t have been using F3X to swap between materials, amirite or amirite?

Asphalt = Great!

Basalt = Crazy nice!

Lava = Neat, could have an optional glow effect to it.

Glacier = Funky and groovy.

Ground = Alright, looks a little off but it seems fine.

Leafy Grass = In regard to the new, current beta texture of grass, this isn’t as bad but not as high quality either. Could be better.

Limestone = Looking gorgeous, cracks almost look a little off in terms of literally appearing as its own layer, but it seems fine overall!

Mud = Yucky and gross looking as it should. 10/10!

Pavement = Nice!

Rock = This is LITERALLY what people want for slate lol. I think the current form of slate, both with and without cracks, should be kept, and this new rock texture should be the new old slate.

Salt = Sweet!

Sandstone = Not epic as of right now. Tiling issue in terms of the material itself.

Snow = Strange, but interesting, Could be smoother to the extent that it is.

I really do think Rock is just Slate but a little better?

Most likely not, but I’m sure Rock is what people want in regard to what Slate should look like.

Overall, some of these actually look great! I can’t believe I looked over these ones at all. I shouldn’t have used F3X to switch between materials.
Now for some applied looks!

Gnarly!

Awesome!

I see limestone’s full use now!

TL;DR:
Most of the ones that are commonly overlooked are like, actually pretty decent. Only issue is in regard to how some of them tile in relation to stuff like cylinders and spheres at certain sizes.

11 Likes

Wood also could have less of those eyes things because of braches on the tree (I forgot the english word) and they changed a lot of colors sensitvity so its messed up a lot of times,

also Wood Planks doesnt have a proper tiling so when you have one stud wide part of wooden planks it doesnt cut properly, you have to have like 0,8 studs or something

2 Likes

Yeah I think slate should be replaced with rock. Think about how happy the community would be!

If you want my personal opinion, these materials could be used for good buildings, but I personally dislike them. A-lot of the scaling on them is off and it really shows on certain materials with colors, as presented in my first few screenshots, which makes building with them harder. Grass looks weird on massively scaled parts, including from ground level. Glass transparency has recently been messed up, although I don’t know if this is victim of the new update. Wood carvings also look a little bit too dramatic for the texture. Either way I can see the potential in these new materials, just how their textures are scale are awful. Oh and the new concrete material looks pretty good in my opinion

4 Likes

If you notice, that most of the natural/outdoor textures have the same general appearance in terms of height. Props to Roblox for consistency.

Thank you all for the wide range of feedback you’ve provided so far! We are continuing to release updates to the preview builds so that you can see improvements based off of your feedback quickly.

Today’s (March 23, 2021) test build has the following changes:

• Removed baked in color from new terrain-to-part materials
  • Added tint masks to new part materials
  • Reduced roughness for cobblestone material in areas for more realistic light response
  • Increased tiling rate for asphalt part material
  • Cracked lava part material now has emissive component

Known Issues:

• Possible crash on launch (we have one example, but please let us know if you encounter others)
  • Terrain detiling for brick, wood planks, pavement and cobblestone is still incorrect. This will be resolved in a future build.
  • Pavers have some aliasing issues in the recent update. This will be resolved in the next build

Please continue to provide feedback in this thread; we want to make this a great improvement for you!

32 Likes

Thank for fixing the bugs! But for cobblestone, why is the base green?

4 Likes

I thinking it’s like an earthy color. Would be nice if we could have control over ALL colors in materials.

4 Likes

the mortar seems slightly too dark, but overall this material was REALLY improved!

4 Likes

Will the wooden planks update include making it so individual wooden planks in the texture are one stud wide?

32 Likes

no sadly
unfortunately they didn’t…

9 Likes

Also found out that when saving the game, the “Yes” box is white. Just a small glitch.

2 Likes