New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES!

They’re possibly going to come out once the studio beta gets rolled out to everyone.

Along with the user requested materials

1 Like

Short answer is that we’re going to release new materials but need to phase the work. Phase 1 is upgrading the built-in materials, which as you can see takes some work, from refining the shaders to release strategy. Phase 2 will be adding new materials. Beyond the visuals, we’ll need a plan to improve Studio’s material pickers because as we add new materials, you will be less happy using a scrolling list to pick them (and the team responsible for that has a higher priority project right now). And there is a phase 3 that you’re going to be excited about, and you’ll hear more about that before too long :wink:

20 Likes

Anything about whether or not the old materials will remain alongside the newer ones?

We’re still gathering data for the people who will make that decision. Please make sure to fill out the survey!

9 Likes

Another surprise? It’s becoming a lot more difficult to contain my excitement! Can’t wait to find out what it is.

3 Likes

Here’s a big list of materials that I think should be added. It would make a lot of sense if you can’t add all or most of these in. It would make sense if it was added later.
- Cobblestone walls
Currently the materials has been lacking materials for medieval builds, there aren’t really good choices for walls for medieval builds, slate is to rough (Well now too smooth), bricks are too rough, regular cobblestone too irregular and is just good for paths now. I think cobblestone walls would be a great addition since they were used in like the 1500s I’ve heard. And there should be a mossy variant for builds that require really aged medieval builds.

- Roof Shingles
Currently the only good choices for roof shingles are just bricks, which is meh to use, it would be great to have a roof shingles material to use since there aren’t really any great options besides bricks and maybe wooden planks, there should also be a medieval variant for medieval builds since regular roof shingles would be too modern.

- Dry Wall
Currently there aren’t really good materials for dry wall, concrete is too rough, wood just doesn’t work that well, same with wooden planks depending on the style. Please add a dry wall material I think the list is desperately in need and I would love to use it.

- Crystal
This obviously would be a terrain and part material and I think it would look beautiful, I would love to add this in a cave I have and I think It would look beautiful and would be a great addition. There should also be a clear version and not just a version like just found, like in the earth.

- Emerald, Diamond, Gold
This again would obviously be a part and terrain material. I know there’s already a diamond material but it’s only for parts and I think a different version for terrain would be great, I think a different version would be great because I’m assuming the diamond material would be more clear and not just found in the earth. Which thinking about it, the same version of emerald, diamond, and gold for terrain should also be for parts. And those 3 version should also have a more clear version just for parts, like you’d find in a gold bar or emerald necklace. These would be great for my cave since I’d have more variety.

-Cinder
Currently I think it would be a great addition for a cinder material, another person before these new materials were announced that they were coming, asked for one. Thinking about it I think it would be a great addition.

-Rusted Diamond Plate
I think a rusted diamond plate would be a great addition for more older/aged builds. There’s already a corroded metal material so a Rusted Diamond Plate material I think would be a great addition, and would make sense.

-Hardwood Floor/Polished Wooden Floor
Currently there isn’t good options for more modern houses, Wooden Planks is too old to use. I would love to have a hardwood/polished wooden floor material to use and I think is really needed. There should be different types to use like, A big version which is the same size as the wooden planks, A medium version that’s like 0.5 in width, and a small version which is like 0.2 or 0.3 in width. The length isn’t different just the width. Though there could just be 1 type which I think the medium version would be a good pick and maybe a good width I’m not sure.

-Polished Wood
Currently the material list is lacking in more modern materials, I think a polished wood material would work well for more modern houses

-Sponge Material
Currently, the old pebble material was used as a sponge material since it sucked as an actual pebble material and looked more spongey. Because of this, when the new places get updated it would be hard to find a replacement for the old pebble material for sponges. It would be great to have a sponge material to compensate for this.

-Coral Material and other underwater materials for terrain and parts
Currently on the material list, there isn’t really any good materials for underwater worlds, it’s pretty lacking. I think materials for underwater environments would be very beneficial for dev’s that make underwater environments since in roblox.

-Pool Tiles
Currently there aren’t good textures at all for pool tiles, I think a texture for this would be amazing to have! Especially since there isn’t any good materials to have for it.

-Carbon Fiber
I think a carbon fiber material would be great to add for stuff like more modern car interiors

-Updated Water Material
Currently the water material hasen’t been changed and I really wished it was, it doesn’t look too bad currently but it makes me sad, because it could look so much better and realistic. I really hope it gets updated.

-Leaves
Currently when uploading realistic tress to roblox, I have issues finding good pbr leaf textures online for the leaves. It would be great to have an inbuilt material to use for the leaves. They’re obviously not meant to be used for parts or terrain, just for tree leaves. There should be different types obviously, like a maple version, a pine version, and more. There also should be a snowy version for snowy environments. Also there should be a snowy version for the tree bark materials.

-Some Feedback

• Brick material is too clean, make it a bit more dirty, not too much obviously
  • Brick material needs more depth
  • Brick material needs to be brightened up
  • Brick materials inner thingy, the grey parts should be more white, like medium stone grey. Brick motars or whatever its called arent that dark
  • Brick materials width needs to be smaller. Bricks arent that wide
  • Brick material should be a bit more rougher
  • Corroded metal material should be more fine, this would benefit smaller parts so it doesn’t look like a blurry mess
  • Plastic material should be more noticeable, it’s barley noticeable.

There are more but I included it in the survey so no need to put it here.

-Add a seprate option to colour the sides/bottom on terrain
Currently when colouring terrain textures it affects the sides and bottom part, when I just want to colour the top. In a place I have. I wanted to make my grass more vibrant but issue is, it makes the dirt green. Which I do not want at all. I just want to make the grass more vibrant.

I’m excited to see how much better the new materials would look with all the improvements. Materials like the new rock, mud, cobblestone, basalt, and more, look absolutely gorgeous! I’m excited and can’t wait to see the improvement’s made once in studio as a beta feature, and the new upcoming materials. You’ve been doing a fantastic job!

13 Likes

I’m having the same issue in the V1.3 beta build as I was the V1.2 beta build. Grass has completely lost it’s texture (terrain form), and I can’t get it back.

Try redownloading it. Because it’s working perfectly fine for me

1 Like

Reinstalling worked. Let’s just hope it stays that way.

1 Like

Lighting.EnvironmentSpecularScale = 1

I agree, but I am starting to find a workaround, by entering the %appdata% folder and attempting to convert the textures, so at least I’ll still have SurfaceAppearance versions of the old materials.

We shouldn’t have to do this though - Roblox should and must retain the current materials if they wish to not only fulfill their remit of Powering Imagination, but also to support backwards compatibility.

The new materials run off exactly the same system as the existing ones and therefore there is simply no argument that they cannot be allowed to co-exist for performance reasons.

6 Likes

The updated textures from April 20 look better, but I’d still like to update the grass. And generally, it’s great, but I’m really looking forward to the interactive grass :upside_down_face: (although it’s off-topic)

3 Likes

I believe someone has brought this up before, though the lighting has an affect on the terrain. The shadows are pretty much texture-less except for the part where light shines through.

Lighting settings:
SunRays: intensity 0.25, spread 1
Brightness: 2
Shadow-Softness: 0.5
Technology: Shadowmap

7 Likes

imo it looks way better with the new materials, but it differs for what you use it for

try playing around with the brightness and saturation

2 Likes

Any idea on around when we can see the extended materials?

• Terrain/Part Materials
    • Thatch
    • Wood Bark (Pine)
    • Moss
    • Carpet
    • Tile Surface (ceramic)
    • Marshland (dense/sparse emergent)
    • Leafy Dirt Ground
    • Snowy Grass
    • Jungle Floor
    • Snowy Rock
    • Dried Leaf Ground
    • Gravel Ground
    • Plains Grass Ground
  • Part Only Materials
    • Stucco Plaster
    • Cardboard Paper
    • Painted Metal
    • Iron (refined)
    • Diamond
    • Fur (short hair)
    • Rubber
    • Full Grain Leather
    • Denim
2 Likes

In fact, I am very concerned about the water and the stone. And no. This does not apply to the texture. As you can see in the example of water, the edges of this “puddle” are sharp. .

Bruh
Same problem with the stone. I’m even afraid to use it in my realistic projects
!!The edges are too sharp!!

I also hope to be able to add my own textures and draw them using the “paint” brush . I also very much hope that they will reduce the restrictions in the turn of the terrain (I’m talking about the regions now). moving the terrain only by at least 1 nail and rotating the selected region only by 90 degrees is not very good.

And by the way, I can’t help but add HOW MUCH I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEW HERB that was announced at RDC 2020 :scream: :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

i’m willing to bet that phase 3 will be custom materials… hopefully im not being too optimistic!

2 Likes

This looks like a result of the local lights not effecting the PBR materials, which is a symptom of ShadowMap. If you set this to Future, does the issue go away?

Just to pitch an idea here…

I’d love if we got some sort of “Iridescent” material, kinda like when car gas gets on water, or blowing bubbles. I think that’d be super versatile and really good for surreal builds.

5 Likes