New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES!

I’m talking about the terrain materials?

1 Like

Not all, but most. I do agree with this though. When I first got this build, I had to change all marble to concrete in one of my builds to provide future support.

2 Likes

I know but… a lot of people I know use grass for tree’s. What are they meant to use when this comes out?

4 Likes

I am aware of this too. In fact, yesterday I was asked to make trees. Grass is still OK for trees, but it’s not really like it was and somewhat worse nonetheless.

Smoothplastic is good for lowpoly, but high poly styles should use SurfaceAppearance. SurfaceAppearance is prevalent in lots of newer EBR and RAR showcases anyway, so what gives?

2 Likes

I was wondering will there be any updates to the materials letting us know the progress, maybe some good information to know about it such as how it will affect already made games, and maybe some release news?

3 Likes

It might take Roblox slightly longer (couple of seconds?) to download during an update, but I’m not sure where this performance complaint comes from - both sets of materials are rendered using the SAME system, as shown by the fact you can swap out the PlatformContent folder on the fly and have everything work. The DDS files are considerably small in size (700-ish KB, some parts even just 200-ish bytes).

There is simply NO situation in which that performance would be decreased - these files are local and once Roblox is installed, the files are always there to be called on, they are not downloaded every time you play a game.

P.S. Apologies for the late reply, hadn’t noticed that part of your comment until now.

3 Likes

Now THIS is very nice, good job on fixing this issue!

There is one pressing issue, however:
The distinct constrast between high-quality materials and low-quality materials.
Observe:

Cracked Lava is perhaps the worst offender of them all:

There is also the nagging issue of the fact that players want to be able to maintain the previous materials they’ve had alongside having the new materials. It is a commonly accepted fact that options, especially in reference to customization and personalization, is heavily favored than being given a whole new set of options without any previous ones. It’s like being given a whole new drink, except although the new drink is good, you still want to taste the old drink cause of how well and good it tasted.

Now I can’t speak for everyone, but I am quite certain that everyone here wants to have these new materials alongside old materials. We want to be able to use the small brick material with the big ones, just as I want to be able to use the new grass material with the old one. The possibilities in different material tonalities is excruciatingly important in reference to how I want something to appear.

If I want to make a castle, having different degrees of brick materials and slabs would lessen the burden of having to work with just one brick material. If I want to make eloquent, detailed patterns with fabrics, it would be great to have different degrees of fabric materials altogether. You guys HAVE TO UNDERSTAND that the possibilities in reference to using old and new materials together is almost limitless regarding whatever may come to mind. So apart from the fact that you still need to remove that weird chili sauce splotch off of the new wood material, you should:

1. Render the qualities of the new materials to a more suitable, high quality appearance so they don’t look odd together. This is specifically in reference to materials like cracked magma, leafy grass, etc.
  2. Increase the tile range so that when these new materials are used, the repetition of these materials aren’t so clearly seen the greater the distance is (or how big the part is). This is mainly in reference to materials like asphalt, basalt, ice, limestone, mud, and sand.
  3. Keep the OLD materials with the NEW materials.
13 Likes

Those are the small normaldetail maps. I tried zipping the whole pc folder and sending it to a friend of mine, but it’s 115 MB unzipped and 69MB zipped.

Old devices or used devices with low amounts of storage remaining may suffer. I guess we do have 1TB SSDs, but not everyone has them, especially people living in LICs.

1 Like

That makes no sense whatsoever. You can’t surpass realism because that’s what everything in games is referenced off of. Weather it’s low poly, cartoony, or realistic AAA games, everything is inspired from real life in some sort of way.

1 Like

Just tried the Beta Build and the EnvMaps beta on a school map I made a while back, and it looks… good? idk

Wood still looks like it’s fake rubber counterpart that you see on those plastic backyard sheds.

wood planks do be lookin nice doe :flushed:

Glass transparency needs some work. I had this set to .5 transparency so I could have the curtains clear and still have SSR at max strength. On the Beta Build it just doesn’t go completely transparent until like .8 or something.

Top Glass above the doors is set to .5 transparency, bottom Glass is like .6 or .7 transparency. Not sure if this was an oversight of intentional.

The Fabric is white and it looks weird but also kinda nice. I’m not complaining about the carpet being too white, but I’m actually very happy about this. The old Fabric texture stayed mostly black even if you set the color to 255,255,255, which is what I had it set to in this game. Nice job Roblox.

Brick looks weird. It feels unnatural for this type of brick to be set to a normal/height map. It just looks flat and lacks depth imo.

idk what to say about this one. I just like it.

The new Brick LoD transitions seamlessly. I love it. (The LoD transition, not the texture.)

roblox let us just use these materials side by side plsssssssssssssssssssssss.

i dont really feel like going into specifics about whats wrong with this update or what can be improved or what roblox should do with old materials i just wanted to post these pictures and gripe and appreciate it and leave it here lol

EDIT: forgot to post these

Metal looks amazing. It’s no longer too rough and doesn’t have those obnoxious scratches on them.

Concrete looks more like concrete.

Ok I’ll admit under certain lighting conditions and up close it actually looks pretty decent.

From afar… not so much.

7 Likes

I meant like some materials looked like they shouldn’t be in roblox and ripped off of other realistic games, whilst some looked like they were made in roblox and are for roblox.

There should be an option to choose how small the brick tiles are, and how much tiles there are. That’d be nice for people looking for something close but more realistic than the old brick material. And I don’t know if the sand is fixed but I don’t wanna have my game seen having this.

83f9227993bfc69291923884845c61c2b1560c93_2_690x356

2 Likes

This doesn’t really make much sense to me either. Maybe I missed something but I don’t see any problem with Roblox being realistic.

Uh, what?
What determines if a material can or cannot be in Roblox? How in the world do the textures look like they’re ripped of from other games? Just because games have realistic textures doesn’t mean Roblox can’t also have realistic textures.
I’m not trying to sound rude or anything but this reply has very broken logic.

Again, what determines if a material made for Roblox? Just because Roblox has blocky avatars and cartoony origins, doesn’t mean that it has to keep sticking to that for the rest of its run. If the community likes the old look of Roblox purely for nostalgia or some other reason, so be it, but Roblox doesn’t have to stay chained to its original look because it prevents it from advancing, which prevents developers from advancing because they don’t have the tools and resources they need to make a game weather it be realistic or not.

2 Likes

That’s not what I’m trying to say, it’s just some materials look like they don’t fit with roblox’s style, like the sand material

83f9227993bfc69291923884845c61c2b1560c93_2_690x356

If you tell me this was roblox, I wouldn’t believe you.

1 Like

You’re still missing the point. Roblox doesn’t have to be tied to a certain style. Also what’s wrong with Roblox being unrecognizable when it comes to graphics and textures? That’s good. Roblox is commonly associated with bad graphics and a simple “Lego” style game and not meant to be taken seriously.

Games like Balance, Steel Titans, and SWA are helping to redefine the stereotypes of the Roblox engine simply because they don’t look like a standard Roblox game.
https://www.roblox.com/games/4746041618/Steel-Titans-Beta-1-1
https://www.roblox.com/games/6753998613/Town-MykonosETF?refPageId=aa2ce351-5e6e-4c90-b7c3-2dcd40b15a7e
https://www.roblox.com/games/6671434280/Balance?refPageId=aa2ce351-5e6e-4c90-b7c3-2dcd40b15a7e

3 Likes

That’s not what I’m trying to say, are we really gonna argue over this?

Imagine seeing Epic Games switch out their grass with Minecraft grass, it’ll be weird and won’t fit in with all the other materials. All I’m trying to say is the current materials fit in with eachother, but some of the new materials don’t.

You’re comparing a AAA game studio changing its textures (of what game?) to Minecraft quality textures, to a platform attempting to revamp its textures. Literally no resemblance whatsoever.

Almost all your posts make absolutely no sense and sound very biased to the type of Roblox that is cartoony and unrealistic, which is unfitting to this topic because these textures are to provide nice and realistic looking textures for people to easily build their games with.

2 Likes

I’m just really giving my feedback of what I think on sand and some other materials, you seem like you’re doing literally everything you can to change my feedback & opinion. It’s not happening and I’m sticking with my feedback & opinion on this. All I’m trying to say is that the sand material doesn’t look the best, and needs room for improvement. I don’t know if they fixed it or not, but what i saw in my opinion could be alot better.

Apologies for asking, but it sounds to me like we’re on the same page.

Does SWA even really count? SWA is trying to bring Sonic Unleashed to Roblox, not redefine Roblox stereotypes as a whole.

2 Likes

Well, one of the main stereotypes is that Roblox is just a block/lego game and cartoony games. A youtuber made a video on SWA and most of the replies we’re saying stuff like this:

I’m just using games like these as an example that aren’t average looking Roblox games that help break prebuilt assumptions that Roblox isn’t realistic.

2 Likes