New Tutorials and a Staff Article Collaboration

Hey Creators!

We’re excited to announce new content additions to our Creator documentation!

Curriculum Paths

In case you missed it, last year we launched tutorial curriculum paths that deep dive into different game development disciplines to show you how to build and script high-quality experiences. Each curriculum comes with uncopylocked place files at key milestones, so you can choose to either follow step-by-step instructions to recreate the end result, or just grab the place files to see how we implemented everything.

Core Curriculum

The Core Curriculum teaches you how to build, script, and polish a 3D platformer where players collect coins to trade for jump power. It provides a comprehensive introduction to creating in Studio and is an excellent starting point for creators who are familiar with coding but are new to Roblox.

Environmental Art Curriculum

The Environmental Art Curriculum teaches you how to create a high-quality environment for a first-person shooter laser tag experience. It provides in-depth instruction on level design, asset development, and performance optimization that you can later apply to your own experiences. This curriculum is for creators who want to learn the foundational skills to elevate the visual quality of your experiences.

(Updated) Gameplay Scripting Curriculum

The updated Gameplay Scripting Curriculum teaches you about the general organization and key implementation details of a large, complex project, including info on:

• Sorting players into one of two teams using the Teams service
  • Triggering unique behaviors according to player states
  • Structuring gameplay into phases with a clear start and finish point
  • Identifying when blasts collide with players, then reducing their health accordingly

This curriculum is for creators who want to learn how different scripts work together to drive the player’s experience.

(New) UI Design Curriculum

The new UI Design Curriculum teaches you how to plan, wireframe, and implement high-quality UI layouts and components for key user flows in the laser tag experience. It provides high-level guidance on how to plan an art style to drive all design decisions for your 2D assets, wireframe the structure and flow of info you want to teach users in your experience, and how to implement your designs in Studio using both built-in and custom UI elements.

This curriculum is for creators who want to learn how to uplevel their UI with different techniques and best practice guidance from UI professionals.

Use Case Tutorial Updates

In addition to our curriculums, we’ve been hard at work updating our use case tutorials, which focus on various aspects of developing in Studio. Every new or updated use case tutorial features high-quality assets and/or a sample place file you can use to reference your progress.

Here are a few of our favorites:

Staff Articles

Further, the Roblox Staff category on the DevForum highlights content from Roblox employees and experts from the community. As a special treat, we recently partnered with game developer and optimization expert, Peter “MrChickenRocket” McNeill, to bring you a brand new, 7,000 (!) word article on performance optimization for Roblox. It includes numerous tricks of the trade that he’s picked up over his 25 years in the industry.

This article is a companion piece for Peter’s upcoming session at RDC 2024 and includes an uncopylocked experience that you can use to follow along and dive deeper into the code.

Get the experience, and watch out for his RDC talk when we post it on YouTube. If you’re at RDC, go check it out on Saturday at 10.45 AM!

What’s Next?

In the upcoming months, we’ll continue to update our use case tutorials with more assets and reference place files. Also, be on the lookout for more video and livestream content on our YouTube channel. Happy creating!

Huge shoutout to the entire team who made this happen, including @tamtamchu, @Nightriff, @EGOTISMS, @uiuxartist, @SCHLEEMPH, @MintyUltra, @YPT300, @MrChickenRocket, @EndlessSashimi, @linksgoat and @DevelopmentDeadline!

95 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 11 minutes.

This is really great. It’s very helpful to us and those other newcomers to game development

Keep it up:)

8 Likes

MrChickenRocket is a goated collaboration. I’ve been waiting for this for a while!

Huge congrats on getting it out the door, and can’t wait to see more efforts like this :slight_smile:

17 Likes

I have a small question about the Core Curriculum section where it teaches us how to create, program, etc., to make a game where we can collect coins. I was looking at the tutorial and one part was not very clear to me. In the high-quality 3D assets section, do they provide them to us or would we need to create them ourselves using an external application like Blender? :thinking:

9 Likes

Hello @Raki3dd ! No need to create them yourself, you can grab them from the Apply Polished Assets section of the tutorial. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

As someone who just graduated with a Master’s Degree in STEM Education, this is very timely! For now I just teach summer camps, but I’m hoping to bring these subjects into a full-time classroom environment someday soon.

13 Likes

This is awesome to hear. Do reach out to us if you have feedback when you do.

5 Likes

I hadn’t seen this section of the tutorial before. Now that I have it, I’ll be able to continue with the tutorial. Thank you

I recommend that all developers read this response and follow this tutorial valuable knowledge can be gained

2 Likes

Nice tutorials. How do I add new values to datastore?

Good to see Roblox is publishing tutorials for players to hone in genuine skills in creating assets for levels, including the use of external programs (such as Blender and Substance) rather than pushing generative AI. :100:

4 Likes

I like this. The tutorials when I started were, indeed, unhelpful. Yet I did learn a lot more when I discovered

• Youtube Tutorials
  • Roblox Devforum

Also I like the optimize the game portion.

1 Like

So this is like Roblox University but you need to read on the creator hub or whatever it’s called instead of watching a youtube video?

This also should be in the Tutorials and the limits.

I used Roblox’s original datastore and it stopped saving after 20 - 50 (Key, Values)
Which with 15 other problems, almost made me give up. Now I use it for data that does not need to be saved when the player leaves. (Gui, Skills, Ammo, etc).